Damage meters ruined classes

/controversy

The reason classes can’t be classes is because those fracking damage meters has everyone crying about being 3rd, 10th, or anything other than 1st.

So Blizzard has to take utility and flavour away so that a class doesn’t become OP.

Paladins can’t be paladins because they can’t be good at dps while being healers and buffing. Something had to go, so Paladins are just warriors in another colour.

Same goes for others, but Paladin is what I know.

Talent trees? Nope. Can’t have someone take a less-than-optimal because they want to bring utility or by a hybrid.

You know what? Just get rid of the combat log and kill damage meters. FFXIV gets along quite well without it. (Speaking about numbers can even get you a ban for those who use unsupported damage meters in the game.)

I know people like to see their numbers, but I think it does more harm than good.

Want your class flavour back? The only way that is happening is to get rid of damage meters.

/endcontroversy

56 Likes

No PVP whining about balance ruined dps and class / spec identity. If Blizzard could put one genie back in the bottle, i’d bet dollars to peso’s they’d remove organized PVP for all of the headaches it has caused. No arena, no bg’s. As cool as old AV is all of the constant buff / nerf cycle to classes, the talent tree redos, the ability pruning and gear changes have not been worth it, all because of idiots whining about pvp.

Not even flying has been as big of a pain in the behind as pvp.

No my friend, it’s not damage meters. It has been and always will be pvp that had caused the most mess and problems in this game.

42 Likes

Make sense to me. Smart move by FFXIV

18 Likes

You realize that only one can be first, right?
Whenever you rank things there will always be a top and a bottom.
And anyone not the top cries like a spoiled child.

4 Likes

Not knowing what someone’s dps doesn’t help anyone. Also getting banned for someone not knowing how to play and saying “hey your dps is a bit low, whats wrong?” Is dumb. People want to push their limits and take on actually hard content.

10 Likes

How do you tell if someone on you team isn’t pulling their weight?

11 Likes

I think the issue with “my spec/class doesn’t do damage” is when the margin is so great you are beginning to be barred from content because of damage or your class just cant compete. Almost all DPS in a guild setting like to race each other and compete and it feels left out when your class is just perma bottomed no matter how well you play.

6 Likes

You don’t worry about it!

17 Likes

And then bosses don’t die because they have hard enrages. Weird how this works out.

31 Likes

Not necessary. I played games were no dps meter and the boss where way harder than wow. The funny thing happens when you take out dps meter. it forces all players to push themselves. The boss might take longer sometimes. In the end you not making people mad or upset because you had to call them out. Which means less drama in the guild. Funny how one thing helps out with so many other things. In the end you have a better raid team because they now worried about how well they are doing and not their friends.

23 Likes

Except people still use meters in that game and even though it’s banable it’s sort of looked over. As long as you’re not being a jackass over it, which in most cases no one in FF14 is, hell even on WoW I can’t remember the last time someone brought up meters in a M+.

8 Likes

That is nonsensical.

That being said… in ESO you can see your damage and total group damage but not the damage of others. Even still, it is very easy to tell when you’re carrying a group.

“Oh, the group was doing 123k dps that fight and I was doing… 97k… my back hurts.” :laughing:

Damage meters aren’t to blame and are only helpful so long as you use them constructively. Where people go wrong is when they try to troll people with them.

10 Likes

Its not damage meters, its the constant battle between balancing PVE and PVP that causes classes to lose flavor. Something really unique and flavorful added for PVE might be stupid OP in PVP and Vice Versa, as is often the case. Look at that old druid ability that could give other players a druid ability in exchange for copying one of their abilities. That was a real nightmare to balance for pvp.

7 Likes

Typically if somebody sucks at their rotation, they are probably not the greatest at mechanics either. Correlation at best, but I’ve not met a person who dodges every void zone, burns the right adds, and handles debuffs properly but can’t put up numbers.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, I’d rather this stay in the game as the reality is that people will just spam 1 and not do anything. They still do it in mythic.

1 Like

So classes have been ruined since vanilla? when meters came out?

PC version has meters, XIV can try to stop mods but they are still gonna exist as long as PC players are here. When I’d play the players who played on console would ask me to parse them on target dummies so they could try out new rotations, etc.

6 Likes

Counter point. We don’t need damage meters to know who comes out on top and who doesn’t. I don’t recall ret pallies being too popular in classic/vanilla content. People are always going to gravitate towards classes that preform better.

1 Like

Not to be a contrarion but I know a warlock that is this way. She targets the correct things, uses her utility correctly, doesn’t stand in bad and is always positioned correctly with the group.

Her damage is terrible during actual fights even though it is decent on dummies. I think she’s too focused on mechanics if anything. Usually has massive down time.

She’s in her sixties and is super nice though so it’s fine. I don’t mind carrying her through stuff.

6 Likes

she just feels bad for hurting the thingie, she probably could solo all those things but she is too sweet to do it

3 Likes

There is a difference between having lower DPS because you are bringing some critical utility and just being moron and picking bad skills or you just don’t know your rotation. DPS logs shows the difference between them.

3 Likes