Daily reminder that defending in Wintergrasp is obscenely overpowered and needs to be nerfed

They still havnt nerfed defending yet? LOL

Defense has been nerfed for a while now. Offense is easy as long as you know the 2-wall strategy.

Here, watch this:
https://youtu.be/-bpmm1qaxTA
https://youtu.be/IRenizei1xE

1 Like

you forgot to include the disclaimer: “probably won’t work in a non-premade group” :laughing:

If you’re in a premade or partial-premade, sure, you can “recover” from losing the first teamfight. But in a full group of random/solo-queue pug players the chances of that happening go way down

“win SR or gg” still seems to be the meta strat among casuals/random pug players, hasn’t changed much in the ~3 years this retail-version of Wintergrasp has been live

You really need to stop lying to people to bring them down and stop them from winning.

Like, I’m sorry, but does your premade REALLY need to bring down PUGs in order to beat them?

This man is speaking facts. Defense needs a nerf bad. Please blizz some bgs need some help

1 Like

This rare wins on offense are special though. Was in a horde offense team that managed to push through and win, and the chat is just so crazy lol.

But yeah this is a clear problem and has been for multiple expacs.

Great job. Now for the rest of the population who didn’t win the lottery?

My suggestion is offense should start with a set number of vehicles, like 2 demos and a Siege Engine or something, because who sieges a fortress without bringing any siege equipment. That way offense can start on the wall and defense has to actually leave people behind in the beginning to defend. You would still need kills and workshops to make more vehicles past the starting 3.

It all depends on what the offense team is doing. If they push as a group , whichever team is targeting healers will win. If Offense trickles in from multiple directions , they are getting slaughtered.

I don’t think anything needs to be changed in WG

Dude, if you’re confused on how to win, I literally linked 2 strategy videos a month ago.

See here:

I legit can’t even remember the last time I lost a Wintergrasp Offense.

I’d like to see a slight Wintergrasp update just to freshen it up.

Ideas:

1. Make the vehicle cap 15 for both sides regardless of shops held and get rid of the rank system entirely to prevent any form of vehicle snowballing. Also reduces the impact of who wins the first team fight (and the entire strategy doesn’t have to revolve around both teams zerging the same spot at the start to hope they win and get rank first).

2. To give shops an additional purpose besides building locations, give a 20?% siege damage bonus for every shop held (ignore defense base shops for this)

3. speed up capping nodes or add flags to shops to cap them that way instead

4. Defense should automatically win if they destroy all southern towers and hold all shops at the same time to get rid of the slow hopeless loss scenario when defense is dominating

5. Increase vehicle movement speed a bit and give an aura buff to the entire zone increasing mounted movement speed significantly. The map is too large and makes people feel like not helping as much with distant objectives (shops and towers).

1 Like

Or maybe consider:
a) It’s a siege. Historically, sieges always favor the defender.
b) Why not buff offense?

idk, that’s just my 2¢ without having read the whole thread much at all

buff the defensive cannons while they’re at it. I need the kill achievement lmao.

It’s amazing to me I am gone a year and come back and absolutely nothing has changed in regards to this kind of crap.

1 Like

They just need to remove Wintergrasp from the epic BG pool entirely. Warfronts have the potential to be converted into epic BGs to replace it. But the current version of Wintergrasp is terrible, most of that stems from the fact that Blizzard buffed demolishers vs players and nerfed their siege damage. Back in the day they were just used for siege damage, that was it. It was unheard of that 20 demos would chase around a raid and destroy them. Now that’s the meta of the BG and it’s awful.

2 Likes

Bumped, Wintergrasp is awful. I’d rather stand in the middle of a field 40v40 and fight over a scarecrow than step foot in another wintergrasp

Sounds like you guys are just allergic to any BG that isn’t a zug zug deathmatch.

Wintergrasp is great in its current iteration. Yes, it takes more coordination to win as offense than defense, but that’s fine. They’re never going to be perfectly balanced.

If you let one side get to 20 demos you’ve already screwed up somewhere along the way, so consider getting farmed by 20 demos a win condition for defense.

The BG actually did undergo a lot of fixes and tuning in early Shadowlands i.e. after this thread was created. Offense will always take more coordination and ingenuity than defense but they’re not particularly unbalanced as it is. In early Shadowlands offense was nearly impossible because demolishers were bugged and didn’t do siege damage at most ranges and angles. People like the OP just didn’t notice and assumed it was because of 100 other unimportant reasons.

Need blacklisting back. If they aren’t going to balance they need to give us the option to opt out of absolute crap.

1 Like

Oh god warfronts more like snoozefronts

Pvefronts

Blacklisting was a terrible bandaid, and epic BGs have been actively balanced since their implementation in BFA. It may not always be timely but they do see retuning and even redesigning when needed. Wintergrasp itself already saw key offence-favouring changes in early SL and to be honest it’s not as unbalanced as people in this thread are portraying.