Daily reminder that defending in Wintergrasp is obscenely overpowered and needs to be nerfed

Remove Wintergrasp.

3 Likes

Almost forgot to bump this today

2 years in and attacking still trash role

its basically welfare wins for whoever got defense

the leavers from the offense team are crazy, just constant through the entire match

Iā€™m hoping for a rework across the board in epic BGs. They are unplayable right now imo. Here are the 4 BGs summed up:

-Everybody runs docks because whoever gets Glaives wins.

-Everybody runs to the other side of the map to cap 3 points and kill the worldā€™s weakest raid boss.

-Everybody has a mosh pit in the middle for a 30 minute slog where players die super slowly until the kill cap is met.

-Everybody attempts to assault a fortress knowing itā€™s futile and the team on offense has to spend 40 minutes in a game they will lose 80% of the time.

Bingo that isnā€™t PvP. These need to have their damage against players reduced by 90% so we actually PvP over objectives.

Yea this just makes the dreaded Siege issue worse.

I also want to say being on Defense is also extremely boring. It isnā€™t fun and has hardly any PvP in it. You just shoot cannons into SR you build sieges and melt the players with them for 45 mins. It isnā€™t fun or PvP.

Both WG and Isle should be removed and given the Strand of Ancients treatment if they arenā€™t going to fix them. However simple fixes like 90% less dmg to players by Cannons/Sieges would be a start.

PS - bring back Blacklisting for simple player QoL

2 Likes

well gosh that changes everyone elseā€™s experience because you won in a hurry one time

ā€œWith all due respectā€ most of everyone elseā€™s ā€œexperienceā€ involves them rushing Sunken Ring at the start as offense.

right, so it isnā€™t fun for most.

Workshop + Airship is actually faster but it takes coordination your average PUG doesnā€™t have. And you could just use those demoā€™s to crush the Alliance push but, againā€¦

That takes coordination.

Well you shouldnā€™t be shocked it isnā€™t fun when you play the map incorrectly. I wouldnā€™t be shocked to discover that the people who whine about WG are also the type who slam their head against the eastern half of the base for 40 minutes zerging the same point the entire game while screaming at people trying to give orders like ā€œplease recap workshops.ā€

1 Like

I have actually only won 1 game where Horde managed to get Docks since SL dropped . But I have won the majority of the games where Horde has got WS and Hanger and crushed Glavies using demos .

1 Like

Just adding my voice to this thread, Wintergrasp desperately needs changes. I know Iā€™m operating on some serious confirmation bias here but I get the feeling that other peopleā€™s experiences attacking in WG are similar to my own.

I havenā€™t been running reflex but I donā€™t recall a single time Iā€™ve won an attack so far in Shadowlands, and Iā€™ve won every single defense game Iā€™ve played.

Doubt they are gonna change it, but it needs to be tuned drastically. On the upside, I won an attack in 7.5 minutes last night as ally. Second win in WG on offense in SL, lol

80%? I have seen offense win once in 18 games since SL started.

Nowadays, if I get offense, I just immediately AFK out.

2 Likes

I have lost defense more times than I have won it this xpac, and I have never won an offense.

Big part of the problem is that you must get a number of kills before you can build a vehicle.

• Defense will almost always go to Sunken Ring.
  • If Offense goes to Broken Temple, nobody can build aside people getting kills of NPCā€™s.
  • If Offense goes to Sunken Ring, they will probably lose as Defense will get there first.
  • Once Offense gets wiped at Sunken Ring (usually because Defense starts building vehicles) - many people quit the BG because they know itā€™s hopeless.
  • Backfills come in, with zero kills, and canā€™t do anything. It will probably take them 10+ minutes to get enough kills to make vehicles as Defense generally wonā€™t be out in the open without being surrounded by vehicles.
  • By then, Defense is going around to the towers and will simply annihilate anyone trying to get kills from Offense out in the open.
  • Repeat until time runs out. Even if offense gets enough kills, they constantly need to keep people at the workshops so that they can have at least 12 vehicles, and more realistic, they need all 4, which is almost impossible to hold.
  • Once Defense gets all 3 towers, they can just ninja steal enough bases to cap Offenseā€™s build capabilities, even if they donā€™t keep them long. 6-8 demos plus the cannons will make quick work of offense unless they are extremely organized.

Suggestions:

• Make the vehicle requirement simply based on the amount of time progressed in the BG. X amount of minutes for light, and X * 2 for catapults/demolishers.

This was originally designed when anyone could simply enter the event during Wrath as it was open-world. In an epic BG, it simply doesnā€™t work.

• Nerf the damage of the cannons (and this could be said in Isle of Conquest as well)

Considering Offense has no cannons (aside from the few in the towers where they get destroyed quickly because they are so clumped together), they are at a huge disadvantage here as well. In Wrath, the cannons didnā€™t do that much damage and they frequently werenā€™t even used.

Other suggestions:

• Lower the damage of all vehicles on players until we have HP that can match.
  • Boost the RRPGs: cast faster, have the projectile go faster. Maybe lower it to 3 uses.
  • Have Defenseā€™s 2-built in, uncapturable workshops only grant 2 vehicles each, for a total of 4, rather than 8.
  • Make defenseā€™s starting point be inside the base where the orb is.

You forgot the fact that DEF team has free 8 vehicles where as ATT has 0. So if all bases are capped for DEF, ATT canā€™t come back.
If all bases are claimed for ATT they can spawn just 16 vs 8

WHATā€™S GOING ON WITH WINTERGRASP??? Blizz just patched AV, how are they leaving WG alone? Itā€™s the most imbalanced BG Iā€™ve seen in my life, to the extent of seeing multiple people afk out when they join as offense, and people cheering when they get defense. How is a company like Blizzard so slow to react?

1 Like

The fact that I am actually logging in to post on the forums on this speaks volumes, as it is something that I never do at all.

I have had a horrible experience with Wintergrasp BG since I started playing again with the release of Shadowlands. Its been maddening, I have yet to get defense ever and have lost 100% of the games I have played. Its just not fun at all to be in a 45 minute long struggle that you always lose. It seems that no matter how coordinated and extra effort the offense puts in is still not enough to overcome the seemingly insurmountable advantage that defense has.

Beyond the balance, how is it possible that I have not gotten defense yet? What determines who plays which side? If its just a 50-50 then I need to go to Vegas, because the probability of rolling offense this many times in a row is absurd.

Bump. Fix this broken BG please.

I am asking this earnestly, how did you folks pull it off? Please teach me your ways!