Dagger Shaman

Hello

So it just worked out this way with gear drops but I ended up with neat purple daggers with 1.8 speed and 1.4 or 1.6 speed or something like that. It’s pretty set that flametongue on both is the better way to go now right? I don’t have the artifact that boosts windfury damage yet so I’m using the shock damage artifact at the moment.

It does seem to be not bad when I have WF on my 1.8 mainhand but I’m uncertain it is better than the double flame tongue.

My concern is that I get no expertise with this setting. I do have the 1H axe that has expertise on it as well so I was also considering using the harder hitting dagger on my offhand with flame tongue and using a lesser DPS (but higher top end) 2.6 speed axe with expertise on my main hand with WF.

Thanks for any input.

This would be a good question for the shaman class discord. I’m sure someone has done the math or tested this.

I can’t post links yet but the code is:
VvBwBu2

1 Like

It is bad.

Get two slow axes. Either the blue PVP ones or the one from heroic AC.

2 Likes

Having a dagger in your MH would probably need to be a 40-60 DPS upgrade over your slow option to be worth using, just off the top of my head.

I know it’s dispiriting to keep using a blue weapon over the purple dagger you have, but it’s probably still better.

(You can do dagger OH with FT if you really need to.)

2 Likes

go for the higher dps bro. dagger shaman sounds cool as hell. expertise is nice but you cant hang onto a weapon forever because of some bonus stat.

1 Like

Never ever play with dagger. way too fast. you need 2 one hander with a minimum speed of 2.60, and try to match the speed of both weapon, like two 2,60. Since you are orc, you should try to get Heroic AC axe and the blue pvp one. You then aim for The Decapitator.

1 Like

It has to be an insane DPS upgrade on the weapon to be worth it. I tried using flametongue on the level 70 dagger from Murmur in SLabs which even has expertise and was doing significantly less damage than double wildfury on two Fist of Reckoning a level 61 BOE.

1 Like

The big reason you don’t want to use a dagger main hand unless a dagger rogue is attack power normalization on instant attacks. For TBC, all weapons were “normalized”. They use base weapon damage (slower is better here), but the attack power scaling “coefficient” of sorts has been set to a fixed amount based on weapon type.

For daggers it’s as if it were a 1.7 speed. 2.4 for other one-handers. 3.3 for two handers. 2.8 for ranged weapons.

This means instant attacks scale worse for daggers than a comparable one-hander. They’re fine in the off-hand, but no melee should be using a dagger main hand unless they’re a dagger rogue.

It’d be like if Priests got only 70% of their weapon’s spell power if it was a dagger.

1 Like

Thank you guys. I do plan on getting an axe as soon as possible. It’s just until I get something better it does have a difference of 40 something dps to 80 something dps.

But to find greater axes or at least maces indeed.

I feel your pain. I have pretty bad weapons but Kara gear for all else. I’ve gotten a few decent weps for lvl 70 but they are all fast. So for now I am stuck with my low dps lvl 65/66 weps.

1 Like

I can’t remember where I heard it, but I swear I remember hearing that two slow wind fury weapons are only optimal when weapon syncing. Supposedly a good dagger in the OH with flame tongue can often do more damage if the weapons aren’t synced. Anyone know anything about this?

You’re right that Slow/Slow with WF is most ideal when the weapon speeds are matched, as it minimalizes the offhand “stealing” windfury procs.

As long as you are still using two slow weapons that are close (like .1-.2 difference in speed), double WF is the way to go, but at a certain point there is a trade off, and slow main hand with WF and fast offhand with Flametongue becomes better.

I’m not positive on where that trade off point happens, but as others mentioned the shaman discord could probably provide those details.

But as far as OP is concerned, double daggers is never better.

2 Likes

I do recall a thing about having your slow WFs synched was to insure that the offhand doesn’t steal the windfury from the main hand since, I think, the off hand will always hit weaker than the main hand even with the same weapon and having the WF on both weapons boosts the proc rate from 20% to 33% or something to that manner OR/possibly AND Synch makes sure that the flurry isn’t used up by the 2nd hit.

it’s fun to mess around with but yea you are not gonna beat 2 slow weapons with windfury. My guess thou is you would want flametongue as that would kinda act like a rogue using poisons. Probably use a mix of spellpower gear too, but I dunno.

This makes me think of the rogue spellpower sets on the private servers. we were able to stack spellpower and it would affect our poisons… it actually made it a super fun build. But sadly on live WoW servers it doesn’t work =\

It’s bad. Slow synced weapons is the way. Youd literally do more dps with 2 syncd greens

Go buy 2 of the 2.6 level 70 maces/axes, idealls with +str. You’ll do significantly more dps.

Always match speeds btw

:point_up: Basically what this guy said

1 Like

Daggers are bad. Level 70 green 2.6 speed weapons will be better than your daggers.

1 Like

IMO, if you’re pushing your buttons and things are dying, I wouldn’t worry too much.

1 Like

The problem with FT is that it is a spell and against raid bosses it will resist a lot because you will only ever have 3% spell hit (or 4% as ally sham). Even when it does land it will have frequent partial resists due to the level difference, which you cannot overcome.

FT off-hand is phenomenal for leveling though over double windfury imo.

1 Like