Dagger leveling spec

Can anyone direct me to a good dagger leveling spec? I know swords is optimal, but if i want to have some fun in dungeons and huge ambush crits… ?

Kargoz has a cool combat daggers build, but it revolves around “front stabbing” which to my knowledge doesn’t exist in classic so I’m unsure if that is what I should follow.

Thanks

I leveled daggers with a buddy mage. It was great. They started pulls and id ambush backstab. Unless your running dungeous or leveling with a friend. I wouldn’t recommend it though.

2 Likes

No one has a dagger leveling spec? Even combat daggers or subtlety?

I saw a video on YouTube explaining talents for dagger leveling via the sublety tree. It was by a AzAMOus and the title of the video is “Subtlety Levelling Explained (WoW Classic)” and he posted a follow up video to it titled “Subtlety Levelling Explained Further (WoW Classic)”

I found it interesting as I am planning on leveling a rogue once I get this druid to 60.

1 Like

Was it using daggers?

I’m interested in this as well, i was thinking of a build like this https ://classicdb.ch/?talent#f0xZGcV0bxzZAMjsc0o , remove the “space” after https. I honestly don’t know how it would work in practice though.

If you spec Sub with 2 points in ruthlessness in the assassination tree and get 3 points in imp ambush you pretty much crit with every opener. I would stay in Sub until you get hemo then go into combat for imp backstab/hit or assassination for crit and crit damage. This spec is great through the 30s the problem comes when you get to higher levels as a ambush crit does not take 70-80% of the mobs life away so you are fighting longer with your inefficient front attacks.

I tell you what though it is the only way I play rogue I know combat is good but the play style is too much like a warrior and warriors are better at it at 60 so I play Sub Rogue because to me that is what a rogue is sneeking up behind someone and destroying them :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I know my talent selection isn’t optimal, i used the combat dagger build from Icyveins as a guide and have so far dumped all my points into the combat tree.

I have used daggers since day 1 and i’m having a blast playing rogue.
I will worry about optimizing as i get closer to 60.

I enjoy it and am having no trouble solo leveling thus far.

1 Like

https ://classic.wowhead.com/talent-calc/rogue/02–350050130030101

Here is the spec I use to start through 33 then go up combat or assassination trees. both are good fore different reasons. you want bigger crits go assassination if you hate missing or are in group a lot go combat.

Link is not working so oh well :frowning:

ok dont listen to the people telling you to sink points into sub unless you plan to go pvp once faction trinkets drop then your gonna end up redoing your stats for pve content.
for leveling you want to start with combat putting points into improved SS and gouge then pick up precision and back stab. after this you can move over to assassin and look up seal fate dagger build.
as for how to fight its gonna be a while before you can do anything close to a rotation but what i do is open with cheapshot for and easy 2 combo points and then step behind for a backstab. i then dagger dagger till about 81% engi ( this is why you need improved gouge) where i gouge and then move behind and wait to have enough power to backstab again if they are still alive i then eviscerate,

2 Likes

To each their own Ferneth though it is true I love to pvp and it is really the only reason I came back to wow in classic. It really just depends on what you love the most and for me being sneaky and blowing up people or mobs with a huge crit on the opener makes me happy.

1 Like

they are looking for a build for leveling and dungeons not saying you cant go sub for pvp but sub massively underperforms in dungeons . remember you can only ambush at the start which is ok when against players but against 3 mobs yea not so good. now when your in a dungeon you want to open you open with ambush instead of cheapshot but thats becasue you have someone to pull aggro so you dont need the stun to do backstabs.

2 Likes

Any of you seen Kargoz’s rogue guide? (The YouTube vid) near the end it has a combat dagger build… it looks super fun and I’d love to try it, but it was made with front stabbing in mind… which classic doesn’t allow . :frowning:

Its hard because all the actual yummy stuff for Dagger you don’t get til 30-40 so up until that point you will be slow, very un optimized and spending a lot of time ccing mobs.

I mean even Sapping a mob takes you out of stealth so not you lose that Ambush on the other, you set up a gouge 45 energy now you need to wait for energy tick for that 60 energy Back Stab…

Honestly unless you have friends its going to suck leveling daggers. You don’t even get blind til 30.

Wowhead has one. Only change I’d make to it is take one point out of lethality for the energy back on combo finisher.
I’d post it but ya know, Blizzard censorship.

1 Like

I did swords until 40, then a hemo build for like a level hated it, then went a sub daggers pvp type build until about 53, before having the points to go seal fate to do better dps for dungeon spam…

None of the dagger builds are faster than swords (or even that close), but they tend to be more sustainable single target via less damage taken (with gouging to set up stabs you only really are on the mob while you are dumping energy)… That all goes to hell on a double or triple pull, however.

1 Like

I’m thinking I might have to spend some gold and just play around with builds. I completely believe you guys and understand that swords is far superior and why it is superior… but to me that just not a rogue.
Also I’d rather level in a PvP spec than a pve sword spec on a PvP server… even if it’s slower, it doesn’t compare to the shame I’d feel if I lose a fight I would have won if I was specced for PvP lol

I’ve been using a hybrid Ambush / Combat swords build since 40ish. Not sure how popular it is. It’s pretty fun. You get big crits from the Ambush start and then switch to swords and fight like a normal combat sword rogue.

Key talents are two points in assassination for the 40% crit after killing a mob. Riposte. And improved Ambush. Afterwards just go deeper into combat tree.

The nice thing about this build is that you can solo farm even better than combat swords because of the near 100% crit for Ambush. It’s not the best for pure PvP or dungeon, but it’s passable, and that’s fine for me while leveling.

Excellent reply

I’ve sunk way too much gold into respecs :joy: but here is my two cents.

I’ve leveled as combat swords, hemo swords and sub daggers. What I can say I’ve enjoyed the most has been hemo swords. This is because it’s the best pvp build but also very respectable while leveling.

I was surprised to see that hemo hits the same as sinister strike, but I guess serrated blades really did make that big of difference. You’ll get pretty good combo point generation with this spec, with hemo only costing 35 energy as well as cheap shot most of the time generating 3 combo points for way less energy spent.

The reason I advocate swords while leveling is because often times, when questing, I would find myself having to fight mobs that were 2-3 higher levels than me. If this is the case, they often parry and dodge or I miss which makes daggers painstakingly slow.

All in all I wouldn’t mind switching back to daggers for this final push. Those crit modifiers are all fun. At the end of the day, play what you enjoy!

3 Likes