Custom water.cooling or pre made?

Going to run an amd ryzen 3960 in a obsidian 1000d problem is idk anything about custom water cooling nor have the tools to bend pipes.

Id want to water cool cpu at least but if going custom then gpu as well. This is my 2nd build only so i dont know too much.

Gpu i plan to get is 3090 or 3080 but for now imma go with something cheap due to stock.

Mobo will be a asus zenith 2 extreme alpha

Look into the Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 360. It’s comparable to a custom water loop and requires no maintenance. It’s also a fraction of the cost and cheaper than most AIOs. It’s what I use on all my own builds and most of the customer builds I do.

They also have a 420 AIO now also which is a beast

1 Like

What kind of overclock are planning to put on a 3960 ? LOL

If you don’t plan to overclock, a lot, AIO coolers are a waste. Same thing with your GPU.

And if this is your 2nd build, and you aren’t familiar with voltages, I’d stay away from it.

Get a Noctua air-cooler and don’t fry your setup and void the warranty

This right here. I know you have a lot of money to spend but an NH-D15 is a beast and on par with AIO coolers. Custom water cooling is something I’ll probably never attempt.

Nobody gonna touch this, eh?

I thought about it but I’m already over my posting quota.

1 Like

What u mean? Cause its amd? Or overkill. I know its overkill as for amd i wanted to try one out i run intel.

I havent bought anything but the case yet but planning.

While I can’t speak for griefs, I believe what he intended to say is threadripper is not only overkill for a gaming but it actually does not perform as well as most mainstream Ryzen and Intel CPUs for gaming. If you need the extra cores for other things outside of gaming that’s a different story but from a pure gaming (and most office work) focus it just makes little sense to use.

2 Likes

Ahh i see. Ty i will have to go back and check on other cpus then. Hard to do research on just a phone. I will check out one that was ryzen and suggested to me yesterday by a member on here.

I think that one was sold out i dont remember

most everything is sold out, it’s just not a good time to build in early 2021

Do you have a Micro Center nearby? They have new Ryzen chips in stock frequently. At least mine does.

Best buy just had a drop this morning of Ryzen cpus and Nvidia GPUs. Of course I missed it.

I just wonder what kind of Overclock , they’re on an Extreme board so clearly an Overclock is assumed here right? LMAO

1 Like

It’s a typo right

1 Like

I’ve always had air cooling for my cpu but when i made the change to a water cooler, O.o my temps don’t go above 36c while gaming. very impressed :slight_smile:

No just best buy sadly

Yeah I usually try to stick to answering OP’s questions but was kinda surprised nobody said this already:

:point_up_2:

I’d consider an i7 10700k build, too. They are in stock at lot of places and, overclocked with a decent GPU, will give you top tier performance indistinguishable from a Ryzen 5000 CPU in almost all circumstances that will last for years.

An i7-10700F with a cheap Z-board with unlimited power limit and fast RAM ain’t too bad either for the price.

Save almost $200 and still get around 4.6ghz all-core, from what I see.