Custom sound files not working

I also use the add on in game leatrix sounds to be able to search the name of the sound I want to change so I know the sound files correct name. I was able then to search for the file name that way.

Seriously?

Iā€™m betting youā€™ve never played Balance Druid.

I have my lovely Glyph Of Stars form, but almost every time Iā€™m smacked in the face my character does that obnoxious Moonkin screech.

I had it silenced before today. Now Iā€™m much less inclined to level this character.

EDIT: Oh god they added some loud and unnecessary, headache-inducing noise to shifting into Stars form. Make it stop. :c

9 Likes

Sounds are wonky. Keep fading in and out and crackling. Going underwater in Nazjatar seems to make it worse. Really disconcerting. I have no sound file changes either, itā€™s something either new to 8.2 or specific to Nazjatar.

1 Like

This is what I found after looking up why my gun sounded like a damp pop gun. As far as I recall the gun sounds were changed for people with PTSD from combat, right? Can you add an option in the game settings to get the old sounds back, leave the popgun sounds as default or whatever but please, this feels horrible.

I should have been completely jazzed for the update today but the whole time all I can think is ā€œgod I wish my gun sounds were workingā€. It feels so neutered and useless, it exacerbates doing poorly and managing to survive big pulls or whatever just feels kindaā€™ empty.

1 Like

ā€¦ seriously? O.o

Now I have to go check this out. My druid is my main. I had changed A LOT of sound files and was in the midst of changing most of the balance ones back to the old sounds, because the smacking crap is ridiculous.

Edit: that is the dumbest thing Iā€™ve heard in a while. lol

2 Likes

Ugh, right?

And please inform me if/when you get old sounds working. Darn screechy owl noise.

2 Likes

First off, Iā€™m a no life middle aged nerd who plays a lot of WoW. Iā€™m not a super casual phone gamer who mutes games they play to chatter with friends or listen to the latest Justin Bieber. When i play a game, I immerse myself. As such, I am fairly typical of the long time hardcore WOW fanbase.
Since Vanilla I have altered thousands of sounds and music bits in game. Iā€™ve written several addons on Curse that do this. All this customization kept me attached to the game. It was My World.
Playing today was an audio assault on my ears. How can people play this racket!
Only way I can play is a non-immersive complete silence of all game sounds and music. As such, the game experience itself was very flat.
People who say they love every music track, love all the sounds, are lying, or havenā€™t really played a lot, in situations where they have to hear the same exact thing for hours on end.
Being able to mold my audio environment, along with the wide latitude addons have enjoyed in customizing the UI was one of the many things I have always loved about this game, and shielded me from its deficits. I once spent many hours creating a new Stormwind ambient sound.
Having a nice custom sound set made this game playable for a decade, and if itā€™s gone, I am too. Yeah, I could spend a couple weeks porting everything to Weakauras, but to be honest after this I donā€™t have faith even something like Weakauras will be ā€œallowed.ā€ If itā€™s gone, if yet more control and more agency is being taken from the player it says VOLUMES about the direction this game is going.
This would be the straw that broke the camelsā€™ back.
Amputating part of the dedicated playerbase has happened in Warcraft III as well - with the removal of being able to play Reign of Chaos against other playersā€¦
I canā€™t even.
What the heck is going on! You are no longer putting the players first.
And datamining. Really, who cares? How is this change going to really make a dent in that, at the expense of everything I just wrote?

13 Likes

Urgh yeah, leveling the hunter alt is going to be a lot harder without pre-nerf gun soundsā€¦

5 Likes

They always/usually break something on patch days, probably have to update your addon or w/e or redo it.

No, it has nothing to do with outdated addons. Read the blue post above. Blizzard blanket removed the ability to customize audio, all to make it slightly harder to datamine.

6 Likes

blizz needs to knock it off cuz this is bull crap its unplayable with the god damn pop gun shooting spit wads at stuff

6 Likes

Seriously WTF Blizzard?

I spent 3 hours yesterday figuring out how the replace the yelling charge sound with a blank sound yesterday just to have all that work made useless because reasons?

Don t screw things up and fix this. You can hide files you don t want datamined in a particular section like an encrypted folder separate from the Sounds folder. This is just lazyness

5 Likes

blizz get real you cant hide anything the devoted and determined will always prevail. Man created wow and Man can undo everything you do to try to hide things. You arnt going to out smart people or stop people. All you are doing is pissing off the players

3 Likes

i was having sound problems after this patch too, switched sound settings number of channels from low to high seems to fixed it

1 Like

Has anyone found a way to silence gcd fizzle as of 8.2?
Iā€™ve emailed Leatrix and he said both LTT and LTS could help identify the sound, and the search works great, but it cannot silence it.
Both ā€œNo Error Sound!ā€ and ā€œError Sounds Be Gone!ā€ are not working.
I canā€™t find a single sound file in my dir. I get that we all have different file names now, but what directory are these files in, how do I find them and replace them with a blank sound file?

This is EXACTLY where we need the convo to progress. Can we still change things, if we hypothetically HAD the right file name that has the right number in it? In the same folder? So we could just rename the folders/files that we have now?
I just ran a CASC and all the data is still there, but I think it thje casc app converts them.

1 Like

If perhaps the ā€˜vintageā€™ filename was found in the sound folder for specifically sounds before a certain point maybe it could be set up to recognize those? Really a kick in the jimmies to not be able to hear my gun or mute the monk mount and whatnot.

1 Like

Just adding my two cents. Glad I stopped by the forums before dedicating too much time. Guess Iā€™ll be retiring my hunter for a while. :angry:

2 Likes

I canā€™t play worgen unless I mute the constant Sniffing, growling. The constant mechanized clicks bangs whirs & backfires of the goblin & gnomish tech mounts is also particularly annoying and I mute those. I also lower the volume of many specific sounds in game, not because they are bad but because they are so darn distracting. This way I donā€™t have to lower the volume of absolutely every sound. I also like to replace sounds with custom sounds that enhance my game play, or mood. For example I very recently added music to the Giantbee buzzing, that made me think of a honey loving bear while I was flying on the bee taxi found in Stormsong Valley. I was looking forward to getting the mount and flying around with that music in the background. Way to go knocking the wind out of our sails Blizz. Please, please give this back to us.

2 Likes

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/mutesoundfile

They added changes today that allow you mute certain sounds, the addon listed above lets you manually enter a sound to mute it, Im sure in the next few days someone will make specific mute addons for certain sounds.

enter these into the above addon to mute the sniffing:
564378 sound/creature/worgenfemale/worgenfemale_emotesniff_02.ogg
564383 sound/creature/worgenfemale/worgenfemale_emotesniff_03.ogg
564422 sound/creature/worgenfemale/worgenfemale_emotesniff_01.ogg
564536 sound/creature/worgenmale/worgenmale_emotesniff_03.ogg
564544 sound/creature/worgenmale/worgenmale_emotesniff_02.ogg
564560 sound/creature/worgenmale/worgenmale_emotesniff_01.ogg

3 Likes