Custom sound files not working

mutesoundfile addon does not work
Just get error " attempt to call upvalue ‘MuteSoundFile’ (a nil value)"

I also tried the manual addon you recommended using addon.bool.no & get same exact error in game.

odd, you entered the fizzle ids as listed above? The nickname part is a little wonky, but just entering the IDs is pretty straightforward, make sure to disable the addon you made and just have Mutesoundfile running, not sure if would be any conflicts.

start from scratch, delete the addon, then reinstall
https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/mutesoundfile

open the addon
where is says ‘sound id’, type the ID number(jus t the number eg.564378).press ‘ok’

now you can enter a nickname if you want, but you have to press ‘ok’ when it pops up,

then , whether or not you typed in a nickname or not, press the big ‘Mute This Sound’ button

you can check that it entered ok by clicking the muted sounds arrow. Though if you made an error in entering , it should have appeared in chat.

fwiw, i have used this addon just as I described and I recieved no errors, so Im hoping it was just data entry error?

So glad I found this post. Here’s hoping another good addon for gun sounds comes around. Or that Blizz starts making quivers for bows that aren’t Alleria’s. Either one would please me.

3 Likes

Ok it was not the addon or the lua script for the manual addon I made… it was the fact that the patch that allowed this feature to work, had not hit me yet. This morning when I started bnet it downloaded a small patch and the addon works fine now.

I still hope a future patch will allow us to use custom sounds, instead of just muting sounds.

Not all sounds are bad, just a little too loud. For example my hunter’s murder of crows spell. I had cut that sound’s volume by at least half, and it became a faint indication it was working. Not an in your face CRAW CRAW CRAW!!! DANG IT… CRAW!

I also added music to mounts, custom sound effects for spells, etc. Please devs give this back to us.

3 Likes

oh lol i had not considered the little hot fixes as the culprit, thought those could happen if you had the client still open, but sweet, at least the muting works, but yes I agree they need to enable the replacing functionality, though I think it is going to end up being an ingame thing similar to how they do they did the muting.

1 Like

Looks like a good start, but I hope they add a ReplaceSoundFile API too otherwise providing custom sounds will be onerous for some things (regular spells) and impossible for others (auto-shot).

4 Likes

Speaking as someone who’s on the autism spectrum, certain sounds drive me straight up the wall. Now my second favorite class (Hunter) has been made completely unplayable because of that horrendous “pfft” sound.

5 Likes

Is there a list somwhere with all the IDs for all the sounds? The listfile I have with CASC just shows the old nomenclature

Fizzle listed this site before

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. The addon MuteSoundFile works. Are you Funkydude?
That guy is a god.
Addon is ideal for nuking the worst offenders. Kind of wish it also had a delete function - once you enter sounds in, they are pretty much baked in. I eventually just stopped including nicknames as it was too laborious.
This is Ok for a few sounds. I was able to get rid of the GCD whoosh and the annoying Yak and AH mount NPCs. In about 10 min. These were things I could never “just get used to.”
I have thousands more files that I’m just going to try to forget because i don’t have the months required to manually input them all.
The thought of millions of people entering in thousands of sound files one by one makes me despise Blizzard.
Really - a huge amount of ppl are just going to mute WOW.
And also think of all the people who have taken a long break from the game, when they come back, they will have a lot of nasty surprises.

I can t play my warriors with them yelling for 4 seconds while charging. It is infuriating and annoying to no end

1 Like

Yup. Same here. I’m more than grumpy about this and haven’t even wanted to play because of it.

Prediction:
Some addon dev is going to get so pissed, they will make a huge addon that combines MuteSoundFile and the database of WoW.tools and make very bloaty addon where the player can search for sounds to be deleted in-game and just click boxes.
People would export their profiles so others can save countless hours.
The addon will be wildly successful.
Whoever made this would be a rock star in the fame vein as Funkydude MirrorM or Resilke etc etc
Maybe, like Weakauras, the options can be a separate addon to address bloat.
I’d make it myself but not enough skills. But the way things are going, you know an addon is gonna be made to address this gaping hole.
ESPECIALLY when Vulperas go live. I’m getting an ulcer just thinking about that.

anytime! and no I am not, just a fellow player who likes to mute certain sounds and found the first guy I linked post so I just copy pasted it so I could post it and still give him credit, the only thing I did was look up the worgen sniff sounds.

Start on that page and see which sound it is, if it is listed.

1 Like

I don’t care about muting sounds personally. All I want to hear is my freaking Vanilla bow sounds and the full-throated roar of a Remington 12-gauge I used for my gun. Right now, they sound like the pops from a pea-shooter nerf gun. Please update on this, Blizzard!

I have been searching for a “main” thread and I believe this is it, so let’s continue posting here and spreading it around!

2 Likes

Are we permitted to do this? Isn’t this considered editing a game file?

I’ve been looking to turn down raid warnings from DBM/Bigwigs for ages. I literally keep my game at 40% just because of that.

This is what someone said about it in another thread.

2 Likes

Correct. Overriding sounds has been an intentional feature of the engine since day 1. Since no files are actually getting modified, it doesn’t break the TOS in any manner.

3 Likes

I never in a million years would have guessed so many people felt the same ways about sounds as me. I thought I was just a strange one. Sorry I havent been active been silenced for like 4 or 5 days but thats another mater that I am waiting for a return call from a blizz CS manager I have been in email contact with.

I really do hope we get some kind of feedback from blizz about this cuz these hunter sounds are god awful.

3 Likes