Curseforge client can now be launched without overwolf

If you were “afraid” about overwolf hurting your PC, you can now be at ease with this new option to update addons

7 Likes

Good for them, it will still have the ad stream but now people can stop be worried about having to install Overwolf to use it.

4 Likes

That ad free price is $3 or something

That’s couch money if they didn’t want ads to begin with imo

2 Likes

how much you want to bet there is a new line of code does shady crap in the back still?

don’t know much of the issue other then they were using peoples computers to mine cryptocurrencies.

I just manually install my handful of add-ons because it’s literally a few clicks that a monkey should be able to do it without worrying about being used by a third party for money…and even if your completely clueless and don’t know computers GOOGLE IT…

7 Likes

It just doesn’t bother me enough to buy a sub, so I will put that money towards another coffee :wink:

3 Likes

Citation needed please.

i would have to find it but what i remember is a bunch of people were trying to figure out why it would eat up 20-30% of a GPU and slows peoples games down for a basic app and then some code was found that suggested they were using peoples computers as a zombie/bot net to farm crypto because part of the app is considered a virus and the big thing to use GPU’s for is cryptocurrency mining.

I have been running it since it came out in beta and I have never seen it use more than a token amount of my system resources. I have heard this claim before but no one has ever actually provided any real proof to back up the claim. Hell neither my anti-virus or malware software has ever even made even a mild protest over Overwolf since it has been installed and both have real-time monitoring turned on.

I hope that Bliz puts most of these add-ons in the game and rids people with having to go to an outside source to get them.

7 Likes

They do pull from time to time build a popular addon into the game but they don’t do it all that often. I doubt they want to deal with the constant demands of having to upgrade them every time they change some aspect of the code that would break them.

Too late I’m using wowup or github links. And in the case of devs using github but “somehow” not making a readable zip (aka source file that is zipped but still has the proper contents), I’ve setup notifications of new releases. The rest I’ll just check at new patch launches or as the lua errors pop up.

Also I’ll be okay with wowinterface as well when curse drops generic api access.

3 Likes

Guys, it’s been solved. Overwolf and all other shady applications online are all safe if they can pass the test of Caelin’s Norton Antivirus. Why couldn’t we just get anti virus in the past? THE LIVES WE COULD’VE SAVED!

2 Likes

I should was your mouth out with soap for that. But you do understand that my claim that it is safe is just as valid as yours that it’s not. After all where is your “Norton” log showing that it’s not :man_shrugging:

And to be fair, I never claimed it was safe. I claimed that I have never seen an issue with it during my 2’ish years using it.

3 Likes

The original curse client way back when had advertisements too yeah? I remember some of the adds were um… kinda shady and you didn’t click on em but it is what it is haha.
:fox_face:

Mine’s not even open long enough to notice ads. What are you people doing? Just click update all and then close it. The program shouldn’t be open more than 20 seconds once or twice a month.

People actually pay for ad free?

5 Likes

This! Blizzard should do what Bethesda did in Fallout 4 with the Creation Club. They manage the addons and pay addon creators without a middleman.

4 Likes

I was never afraid of Overwolf, I just don’t like their business practices.

6 Likes

The standalone client is somehow slower than the Overwolf version.

2 Likes

Wasn’t it only a rumor that Overwolf had spyware over some weird fearmongering thing from people or does it actually have it?

I’m confused.

You can block the ads by simply blocking googles ad delivery services in your hosts file btw.

4 Likes