Current state of hunters

My hunter is MM and I totally agree with all the previous replies with regards to how they have killed the rotation. I personally hate the cast time for aimed shot. It takes way to long to cast. Obviously high haste can mitigate that, but it is still a pain imo.

Surv melee is ummm interesting and a little fun at first but no way can it compare to survival in Cata and MoP. Hunters are not as fun as they used to be ever since WoD

3 Likes

While the prune in general sucked, and we lost some cool situational abilities, WoD was almost identical to MoP for hunters. MM in fact was better as far as how it played. If it wasn’t for the prune, WoD MM would have been the best MM of all expansions.

WoD MM was the epitome of braindead, specially the one with the tier from Hellfire Citadel.

I really didnt like it at all, i played it because is was the best spec by far but it was incredible boring.

I didn’t really raid much in WoD, I mostly just did PvP; however, with regards to the rotation/raiding, the only difference between WoD and MoP was we didn’t have to manage pets because of Lone Wolf, and we had an extra layer of complexity in our movement because of Sniper Training. So WoD was MORE complex than MoP for raiding with respect to how MM played.

That was it.

In PvP it was a little different because of what we lost (Scare Beast and Scatter Shot e.g.), and pet was on a macro for Master’s Call and RoS, but otherwise still very similar.

I don’t know about the set bonus you are talking about. Did that make Aimed Shot instant under some circumstance? Whatever, that is not indicative of the entire expansion.

Sniper Training was that hard at all to use, tho a lot of time you couldn’t keep it up because of mechanics. The more experience you had in a fight the more you could abuse it.

And yeah that tier im talking it made Aimed Shot instant cast all the time. It was a 2 boton rotation, so damn boring.

No, sniper training wasn’t that hard, but it did take a bit to master it, which is exactly what skill is. Nothing is hard when you know how to do it. The point is, it was an extra layer of complexity, which means you take all the skill required without it, and add more skill required. That made it MORE difficult and thus more skillful than MoP, even if only a little. All I am saying is, if you liked MoP and not WoD, it was because you didn’t like something else about WoD, not MM.

If you are saying what you didn’t like was the tier set, well, that’s really a separate thing. I never had that tier set because I only did PvP by that time, so in that venue MM was awesome. I’m sorry they made a bad set bonus at the end of WoD, but that’s no reason to dismiss the way MM played the rest of the expansion, or in PvP where such set bonuses didn’t function.

Throw my two cents in: I agree with Bepple’s description of the specs from the beginning of the game. No, I wasn’t a high-end raider, and now I’m really casual. But people have either forgotten the dead-zone we struggled with, or simply never experienced it.

SV was a terrific spec; lots of fun to play, and in PVP you could drive your oppenents crazy with all the traps, snares, tricks, and so forth.

But if you played any spec as primarily melee, you were an outlier…way out in fact.

Bepple presents his case perfectly.

6 Likes

To be honest old Hunter was very VERY easy to play… Never having to worry about mobility or mechanics because we could do everything on the move.

Imagine how every caster and melee felt…we had range and didn’t have a cast time on almost anything.

Current mm aimed shot it alittle long of a cast imo but the spec as a whole feels good.

You do know BM is still fully mobile and ranged, right? Fully mobile ranged specs can and have been balanced.

1 Like

You do know.bm is the most boring spec in the game right?

Lol even BM’s basic dot you have to keep track of where MM you just stand there for 2.5 seconds casting one of the worst animated and least rewarding abilities in the game.

Not even going to get started on how aweful rapid fire is. The spec as a whole is not good. You could narrow it down to just the AOE alone and its horrible.

2 Likes

Correct, This Hunter was my very first Wow character and I started back on August 5th, 2005. Have not touched him this Xpac, but seriously thinking about bringing him back at least until I started reading up on the spec. Think ill bring up my 110 Rogue. However I wanted to say Hunters have Never been a melee class or spec. not since I remember. Not back in the day, period, or ever.

1 Like

You havent try Havoc DH i can tell.

If you gonna base what to play based on what you read on the forums, you might as well leave the game.

Every class forums is the same.

Bm needs a rework. It hasn’t changed much and its gotten stale and boring

Boring? That’s subjective, for me this is the best interaction of BM Hunter since Pandaria and i like it.

Stale, there i agree when it comes down to talents. BM talents are set on a stone as there is no deviation, if more talents could become competitive then BM would be amazing.

I don’t understand how players still claiming Hunters can’t be or shouldn’t be melee. This is laughable considering the different types of Hunters or Hunting styles we have/had currently in the “real” world; darts, usage of dogs, bows and arrows, spears, etc. And if you want to talk about Fantasy wise, check out other games and you’ll be shocked, and Guild Wars 2 is one prime example. In Vanilla, where Hunters had fantasy Identity,

BM Hunters;

1. Spec was focused on Pet/Range
  2. Spec was built solely around buffing Pet(s) and Range

Marksman Hunters;

1. Spec was focused on Range
  2. Spec was built solely around buffing Ranged abilities

Survival Hunter;

1. Spec was focused on Melee/Range and some Defensive buffs
  2. Spec was built to buff Melee/Ranged with some Defensive buffs

If you played in Vanilla till when they took out the old talent tree, you would notice that you could make hybrid builds, endgame builds or own player builds that fit the player, while being able to use other abilities outside of said spec. The talent tree speaks for it self and it is self explanatory and that it also proves that Hunters, in game, were also MELEE!!! WoW… :tea:

The old survival spec many are crying about and want, WoD - MoP, can be incorporated into MM, because the old Survival spec back in WoD - MoP was changed into a RANGED spec with the usage/choice to use pet(s) from what we use to have; Melee/Range/Survival talent tree. So adding that into an already RANGED spec, Marksman, will build more variety to the MM spec instead of the one dull Aim-Shot build we have, similar to how Assassination rogues can spec into a Bleed or Poison setup. They just need to rework it, which can be done.

1 Like

I had high hopes for animal companion and pack alpha but sadly nothing came of it. If animal companion worked like hati did in legion and pack alpha was turned into a talent the spec would be alot more fun. And not as op as other people and probably blizz thinks it would

I would be super happy if they repealed the 5% nerf to BM otherwise I am perfectly happy with the playstyle.

I would also be super, super, happy if they added the ability to move while casting in MM.

I haven’t tried survival as I swapped mains for ranged dps.

2 Likes

Ive been saying this for awhile. Maybe put ais and es into talent choices depending on what you wanna do. Maybe even give mm serpent spread. Es ais both work with lnl but es dosnt fit well with trueshot