Current Mac Shadowlands Beta Performance

Are there any Mac users that have been seeing the beta client for Shadowlands useable at all? Every patch my character tries to go into a different zone and if its not a reportable crit error, the game violently freezes up my computer to the point I either have to force quit or restart.

My computer specs:

Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB

I doubt it’s my computer and probably just the short end of the stick as far as Mac development, I was just curious if anyone has had better luck with the current state of Shadowlands Beta.

Thank you

The beta game itself is working without any problems for me. I’ve been surprised how nice it’s been working, as I’ve only been using the MacBook Pro for WoW very recently, as my Windows computer died. (The launcher though keeps doing tiny updates every time I exit the game or load the launcher.)

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Radeon Pro 560 4 GB
Laptop kept closed, hooked up to an external 1080 HD monitor, using external keyboard and mouse.

Try a few things to see if it helps any:

1. run scan and repair and see if that fixes it

2. are you at the latest MacOS? if not try updating and see if it helps any

3. try deleting the beta folder outright then have bnet app reinstall beta for you.

4. if that doesn’t work, uninstall/reinstall the traditional way

I can’t guarantee this will fix anything and you may need to go hunting in the Beta Forums part for any additional help from other Mac users to see what they did. I will warn you there is a wide variety of Mac issues right now, some people have been able to fix them and get in and others are still waiting on devs to send out a patch/update that might fix things.

Appreciate the help!

1. Scan doesn’t fix it
  2. Current OS for me!
  3. Yeah I reinstall after every patch actually, reinstalling lets me move in game for about 2-5 seconds instead of the instant computer freeze up and red screen.
  4. Have done that as well!

One thing that seems to keep me on is going full screen, I have/play in windowed mode usually (which is probably more intense on the computer but I also turned settings to zero including lowest resolution.) One thing I noticed, and hopefully it can continue is I’m able to stay in game longer, but my activity monitor is saying wow is using anywhere from 70% cpu to 179% cpu.

Again, thank you for your help with this!

Edit: Even Full Screen, after I quested into bastion, intense environmental effects trigger at different hubs and would cause things to freak out for lack of a better word, resulting in my game red screening.

My wife [Dauna] had the same issue in Bastion but after RED screen it force her iMac to totally re-start! We did change our SYSTEM settings under advanced from Video Auto-select to the actual video card in our systems.

Two Apple MACOS issues:

1. All systems running macOS appear to encounter the “Circle of Death” when characters reach Bastion or beyond. System freezes or even does a forced computer re-boot.

2. Systems running macOS Big Sur encounter Error due to OS Version after clicking “PLAY”

My computer specs:

Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019
3.7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB
macOS Big Sur Version 11.0 Beta (20A5343i)

UPDATE: Build 35522 corrects these two issues! Ran iMac in Alpha & Beta.

Yeah that was a fix earlier in beta for me, but currently that does not work. I appreciate the help though!

Latest Beta patch on a Mac, trying to start play, I get flashing dull yellow or black screens, very occasionally a brief flash of what might be the character creation screen. In the background occasional crashy or thundery sounds. After about 10 minutes of flashy screens, hoping for a semi-stabilization (which had happened during the previous two weeks of flashy screens), I was getting nowhere closer to playing, so I gave up.

Same as above. iMac Late 2013 with Catalina latest updates. Did scan/repair as well as remove/reinstall/update. Standard wow music background unimpaired but with completely unusable video with grey/black flashy screens with sound effects on the character creation screen as above. When it did appear text was blurred our/unintelligble. Occasionally saw some flashes of what looked like new character creation screens but nothing ever stable enough to read. So couldn’t get it to work.

1 Like

When logging into the PTR pre-patch I am getting immediate grey/black flashing screens as others have stated above me. Occasionally I will see the proper character screen but the text is normally garbled and then it goes back to flashing grey/black.

I managed to get my character copied through the screen spam, however if I try to play, the load screen never makes it past 25% of the blue bar. No graphics problems on the load screen at least - just never actually loads.

I’m using a 2012 MacBook Pro with Mojave (yes I know Catalina exists, but 32 bit app support). PTR is a fresh install. No issues of this kind on live retail/classic.

1 Like

I’m seeing the same issue with PTR client as Errowen above.

Completely fine in the old 8.3.7 client, but since the latest version I’ve been having flashing grey/black screens and illegible text.

Same as all the above, grey screen with flashes of garbled text and blank backgrounds when I tried loading up the new PTR. Late 2013 iMac so I know not to expect great things, but it meets the supposed minimum specs so either those need to be updated to confirm these computers can’t handle Shadowlands or this needs to be fixed ASAP. If the prepatch goes live with this I’ll be unsubscribing and demanding my money back for the preorder.

just reporting same as above with the grey flashing screen on my 2013 iMac.

Same problem can not access beta process on Mac system. Grey flashing screen non stop…can hear sound. Have done all scan disc etc.

I don’t have beta access, but the closely related PTR build runs more or less the same as BfA on my 2017 base spec iMac Pro. It gets a few less frames per second, but the difference is small enough that it could just be a result of more people sitting in Boralus than in BfA.

I have the same system exactly as OP (1tb SSD which I did not see mentioned) and I had zero issues with PTR doing the new player experience which while not full shadowlands one would assume was the same client.

uninstalled after encountering zombie crap but what the hell, was fun for a bit and submitted feedback. did not notice channeling lag while goof off testing in my garrison on some copy characters

MBP 16"
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
16GB Radeon VII (e-GPU) / 4GB AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
macOS Big Sur Version 11.0 Beta (20A5354i)

Just got into the beta today. Copied a character over, tried to take the portal to Stormwind and encountered an insta-crash. I’ve futzed with various settings, selecting video card in game settings, reinstalling the beta, adjusting graphics settings to the lowest quality, etc. Nothing fixes the issue. Bummer, I was ready to start testing!

1 Like

Update: Everything was fixed for a patch, this new patch 8/19 seems to have prevented me from logging in. I can get in but like Barorthun said above, the game instantly crashes into any zones new or old. I’ve exhausted all previous tricks.

I was able to sit in Oribos for an extended period of time on a premade 60, every time I tried to log out, or enter torghasts to craft my legendary the game crit errored:

B2B031B3-742B-4DBD-9A90-A70663242CFC

Exact same issues as above.

Really starting to wonder what the point of putting Mac Specs out on the game when the game is unplayable a 1/3 of the time, whether it be Beta or Retail, for Mac users. I understand the staff is stressed, underpaid and undervalued, but if the game isn’t playable for a community of your player base (albeit small), then it’s really hard not to throw onto the pile.

Incase anyone from staff actually does read this, issues persisted only on Torghast server for me. Was able to level 50-60 on the others with less issues. Torghast however is unplayable.

I wanted to provide a quick update to this thread. I was able to successfully create a character on the Oribos realm this morning and play all the way through to arriving in Oribos. The only realm I’m having the issues on is Torghast.

The current build has a crash bug in it. When they choose which build to ship to beta, they’ve consistently had no regard to whether or not that build was stable on mac. Quality control is basically “does it work on windows, good, ship it”

Anyways, the crash issue is fixed internally but you’ll just have to wait til next build, then hope blizzard actually pulls a good build on mac side.

2 Likes