Curious, why play before end of xpac?

I’m curious as to why people choose to play the game competitively in Arena when it’s so blatantly broken at the moment. You likely have 7+ months of time before the season ends. Inflation will kick in, making it easier to attain rating later, there will be some form of catch up added for characters, there always has been towards the end of xpacs.

So my question is, why play now? Your Rival/Duelist/Glad titles will mean pretty much the exact same thing whether you get them now, or in 20 weeks. Why play through such broken gear, and a lack of tuning around specific comps and classes?

5 Likes

Asked myself the same question, the game is so unfun right now. Just going to save myself the 15 dollars a month.

2 Likes

Because of the 100 day time gating. Best to get it over with now. Not having to go back to uldum since I just got rank 3 breath is a huge relief.

Also I think if I keep ramming my head into the wall something’s got to give.

4 Likes

And it will probably take that long to get all your bis RNG corrupted gear…

Do you think gear with stars and tentacles (or whatever is OP) will rain down from the skies if you come back in the last month of the season?

They don’t tune PvP in BFA. Specs/comps/items pretty much stay OP or weak for most of the season.

1 Like

You can push in to decent rating without broken corruption tho. Outside of a select few players on this forum, most are capped at high duelist low glad.

You would experience more rating gain by playing the game better rather than op gear.

Well, later in the season, when everyone else is running around with rank 3 stars and tentacles, lemme know if that’s still true.

1 Like

I played because i wanted the mount to match a transmog. So i was playing with anyone and everyone just for that.
Now Ill get a itch to play remembering what the game use to be. Ill play a few games and it kills that nostalgia pretty quick.
That said i dont care about rating this season and will not be pushing.

I play for elite sets and to cap even though i’m bad and i stay tilted it seems.

4 Likes

See my first point, inflation at that point is much higher, making it easier to push rating.

You don’t think you’ll be playing against people with OP corrupted gear at lower ratings?

See my second point, at the lower ratings you might get hit with some losses due to corruption, but you if you’re a better player, you’re going to win.

Ex.) My sub destro hpal with 3 corruption, a tier 1 +392 mastery on a wep. 2x % increased crit healing/dam pieces (2/3%) seriesed an Hpal/Spriest/Destro team with psyche shredder and both spriest and destro playing IS with destro utilizing tentacles as well.

We went 4-1 vs them.

Corruption makes getting rating infinitely easier, but a lack of it isn’t going to stop you from getting duelist. Your lack of ability to play the game well will do that first.

1 Like

Guess we’ll see.

If they don’t nerf corruption, I think gear is going to have a large effect on how far you can push later in the season.

At the higher ratings, I agree.

I am specifically saying that your average rival - low tier glad player would see more value from getting better at the game or playing a busted comp than they would from gear.

(Obviously if you have a 395 ilvl you aren’t pushing anything.)

I still enjoy it despite how broken or unbalanced it feels. I know I’ll get an inflated title at the end of the season regardless, but that’s never been my motivation for playing

Maybe my taste in games just suck, but I’ve had fun in every recent expansion even when PvP feels entirely neglected

It’s impossible for me to play an online game without feeling competitive

1 Like

It’s a sick addiction, I’ve limited myself to trying to get 2.1 cap on my toons just play enough to cap, get 1 M+ for my chest each week and that’s it.

2 Likes

Corruptions are obnoxious, true. I got R3 tendies yesterday on a 465 belt on my arms warrior and they chunk. Killed a DH in the air with 3 that spawned while my priest partner MC’ed the MW. That was 60k DPS while he was falling thanks to rend/dw/getti on him as well. Just stupid damage.

But generally I’m playing for elite sets and the mounts right now. I got plate/leather on my Hpal and Feral first week and had some fun games, and now I’m struggling a bit on my Disc and Survival Hunter because I’ve never played either before but I really want the sets this season (especially cloth because it’s so wicked looking. Easily the best this season).

2100 can wait for 20 weeks, guess I’ll get the perdy purpl on a 5th character. Prolly hunter.

1 Like

But there are also corruptions that boost versatility. Getting a full set of gear with % increase to versatility can make a tanky class almost invulnerable no?

Here are my thoughts on it. If i can play a spec/specs early season at a high level then at end season it wont matter. Also alot of the people that take breaks end up stagnating in the skill department rather than constantly improving. Yea the game isnt in the best state but i think quitting usually ends up hurting me more than it helps.

have fun trying to catch up on corruption/essences when the 2week notice drops

I was playing a rogue team and in the opener he spawned 2 tents and I nearly died. Didn’t pop any cds or anything. Just between cheap and the follow up kidney I had like 10-15% health.

They can do some dumb

1 Like