Critical WoW bug with AMD drivers

Also been getting frequent amd graphic driver crashes while playing wow, noticed primarily in arena. This issue wasnt occuring when i stopped playing wow about 4 months ago, but since coming back 3 wseeks ago or so its been happening. Tried reverting drivers and nothing changes, only thing that has changed is a wow patch between then and now.

GPU:7900xt
CPU:7700x Ryzen

23.9.1 amd graphics driver, tested 23.9.3 as well

1 Like

I have the same issue, only it happens randomly after playing for an extended period of time. Some times I get AMD driver crashed and sometimes I get a frozen screen on both monitors with sound still in the background.

I have a Hellhound 7900xtx & 7950x3d.
This only happen when playing WOW. I play a lot of games and do not have this issue.
Cyberpunk , Halo, RDR2, RE4, Last of us etc.

1 Like

The fix for me on a 7900xt was changing from DX 12 to DX 11 in WoW, not a single crash has occured since doing this. Prior to this setting change i was geting a crash 1-2 times per day. Its been solid for 1 week now no crashes, hope this helps someone else as well.

3 Likes

I’ve been also having multiple crashes over the last couple months… Was originally thinking it was heat or a hardware issue (PSU going out). It’s only when playing WoW that it crashes though. Sometimes i can play for a couple hours and sometimes i can play for 5min… it’s very random… I’ve literally done everything except reformatting and starting from a fresh c: drive (lowering graphic settings, updating drives, bios firmware update, registry edits, etc…) I was going to reformat today until i found this thread. Changed to Directx 11 and no crashes yet. I’m running an AMD 5600X - AsRock X570 board. 3060Ti graphics.

Also the suggestion / solution posted by another user on the forums to delete the files in the “GPUCache” folder within the wow retail folder has worked for me after turning DX 12 back on. Still testing no crashes yet.

Been experiencing AMD TDR issues ever since building my new PC back in November of 2022. Have tried just about everything to no avail. Will certainly try it but after dealing with this issue for nearly a full year, I have my doubts.

Question for your build, what type of RAM are you using?

Well 2 days after deleting GPUCache folder i have started getting the AMD graphic driver crashes again while using DX 12, so this solution was only temporary or did nothing at all.

have you tried the steps that I shared a few posts above ? mine wasnt the gpucache folder I had other steps involved, but Im able to play on DX 12 now , havent crashed in a few days and running some slight overclock too

I just tried Halls of Infusion first boss and saw the giant lightning puddle mechanic several times with no crashes as of the updated driver for 10/16/2023 adrenalin version 23.10.2 on a powercolor fighter 7800xt with DX12 enabled. Before this I had the same crashing issue when 10.1.7 came out with a 6700xt and had to use DX11 to stop it from happening. I will come back and update it if I crash. There is a rare in zaralek caverns that would cause gpu crashes as well that i’ll test.

Edit: Just fought the rare that also used to cause random crashes with its ability and didn’t crash after a 4 1/2 min fight. Seems like it’s fixed?

Edit 2: It’s now been 2 weeks since this post and I haven’t had a hard crash at all.

1 Like

I have a Identical setup to you 7900XTX, 7800x3d, 32gb ddr5, 1000w psu and getting the same issue.

Game won’t crash completely but the game will freeze, screen goes black then after ~4-5 seconds comes back on game is fine again still logged in (that little box from AMD pops up saying a driver has timed out). Only happens when doing certain things…usually dungeons.

Updated all Drivers etc. I’ve had it happen maybe once in New World, but any other game I’ve played no issues. They’re all more demanding than WoW in terms of resources, I usually have the Adrenalin software open on 2nd monitor somewhere just to keep and eye on everything, never overheating, everything looks normals just random freeze and black screen on WoW. I’m lucky it hasn’t happened in anything “challenging” would hate to end up ruining someones M+ key or wiping the raid because of it

1 Like

Steps taken from your post

Using these steps and switching back to DX 12 i have not received anymore crashes (yet), its been about 2-3 days now.

Same thing happening on my gf’s pc. We recently subbed again after a few months break and she got a new GPU, RX 7600 OC and for now leveling an alt we noticed that ‘Temple of Sethraliss’ makes it crash often. This night crashed 4-5 times.
I tried to force her game to run on DX11 and I’ll post an update if it worked later.
I’ll also try some of the steps u mentioned

EDIT: The game stops crashing by using DX11 so it’s def something with AMD drivers and DX12

The crashes have greatly reduced for me, however they still occur sadly. I had 2 crashes this week. One was in a timewalking dungeon, the other was on Sarkareth

I have a 6600XT with the latest drivers as well as DX 12 and my problem is staying in game, its almost as if the login verification server isn’t stable and I keep getting kicked out of game to the login screen, also the game tab has been logging out and logging back in.

Unfortunately the only thing u can do now until AMD admits there’s an issue and fix it is forcing WoW to run on DX11. You’ll have a performance impact in DF though

Can confirm that these listed solutions only worked for a few days before seeing more crashes again. Dx 11 is the only true solution so far.

1 Like

I have been getting this a lot… especially in caves in dragon isles, the game will freeze, then black screen, then back to the game as normal. But then sometimes, it doesn’t go back to normal, instead it keeps repeating the same over and over again until the game crashes. I have the latest drivers, I will try forcing wow to run DX11.

Edit: Using DX11 solved the problem for me, played 2 hours without the issue happening which is rare so I’m pretty happy now. Hopefully it lasts.

1 Like

Just wanted to chime in and say it’s happening to me too. Pretty much same specs.
7900xtx gpu
7800x3d cpu
64GB ram
Does not seem to happen on retail, only on wotlk classic. Happens multiple times whenever going into a dungeon. Also noticed my gpu starts increasing fan speed like crazy which is weird b/c I would think a 15 yo game wouldn’t have an issue on a ~$3k modern pc. Trying dx11 seems to make it better but blizzard or amd really needs to address this, it’s kind of ridiculous - I can play pretty much anything I want but wow classic of all things makes my pc scream.

1 Like

Sapphire Nitro 7900xtx gpu with 31.0.22011.4008 driver at present (was having issues with older too)
7800 x3d cpu
msi mpg x670e carbon mobo

I was having weird flickering lighting issues in the open world particularly from about 8pm australian time. Force turning off the CPU’s igpu in the motherboard’s bios solved that.

I still get the occasional black screen for a couple of seconds & then coming back, potentially with some odd graphics after (e.g. flat white sections on the animated character face in the player pane). Odds of this happening may possibly be higher if I have video running on the second screen in browser (browser hardware acceleration turned off).

Issues were nightly with the igpu on & it’s very irregular since i turned off the igpu, haven’t had a problem in instances. At present I’m staying with DX12 but it’s nice to know there’s an option if it starts happening in raid.

I had a RX 7600 that was repeatedly giving me these issues. It was particularly awful in dungeons; it was rare to do one without getting at least one freeze/black screen with whirling circle/eventual return to game. It happened many times over a day and nothing I did fixed it.

Two weeks ago I returned it to the supplier and reinstalled my old Radeon card (which is itself a bit wonky but in different ways) and since putting that card back in I have not had one single repeat of this situation.

I believe there is something relating to the RX7 series (whether it be the cards themselves or the driver series) that is having some sort of clash with aspects of WoW. I have decided to buy a Nvidia (although even those cards are currently having certain gaming issues, and Im waiting to see if those are corrected). I can’t afford a more expensive Radeon that is not part of the problematic series and I am not prepared to buy another one until the issue is corrected.