CRBG compromise: ☢

Cross realm queues only available at the location of the BG entrance caves out in the world.

5 Likes

Since you could queue at the AV entrance normally, I’d pay that.

3 Likes

I think they should just flip between CRBG and server only BGs on a weekly basis. We all get what we want part of the time.

3 Likes

It’d also create a far better AV waiting room with PVP in TM/SS while people waited.

2 Likes

except the people who don’t want CRBGs polluting their pvp environment, who don’t get what they want

3 Likes

I absolutely do not want CRBG, but would be content with a weekly switch back and forth in the interest of comity.

2 Likes

Nope, no crbg needed. Just like no lf anything.

6 Likes

I initially started making a post in support of the opinion that there were situations which would support CRBG as the best solution to an issue. I wanted to posit that if you had one server that was primarily horde, and another that was primarily alliance, you would see long queues on both. And perhaps, CRBG would do less to splinter the community than the other solutions; free transfer or merger. I had to give up that train of thought, because in every scenario I designed, free transfers were clearly better than CRBGs for the main draw of vanilla: Community.

Taking merger out of the equation, I find that the issue of free transfers don’t really factor into hurting the communities in question. Often times, transfers (basing this on retail vanilla memories), only serve to invigorate the server they are going to, and create breathing room on the server they are leaving. Less competition in ranking, farming, raids, etc, for the high pop server, and more experience/raiding population for the low pop.

However, if you look at the drawbacks of CRBG’s you find them much worse. You dampen the sense of community; when facing enemies from another server in a bg, it lacks that personal touch. One of the great parts of vanilla pvp isnt the ranking system or the loot. It’s the fact that you develop nemeses when you see the same names time after time, bg after bg. When those names beat you, it pushes you to become better; to find ways to counter their individual tactics while hopefully staying relevant to the goal (winning the bg). You miss out on that when CRBGs are a thing and you are pvping in a pool of an entire battlegroup’s worth of servers.

In addition, you run into the possible issue of throwing off ranking, which is based on the server. I would love for some of the tc nerds of the forums to figure out how badly it can be skewed. Say you have a couple of servers in a CRBG group, some of which are lower pop, and don’t have many raid guilds. You also have 1-2 servers that are full of cutting edge pve guilds, kitted out in bis. It seems to me, this could have a troublesome effect on the ranking of all pvp players in this group. However, thats a supposition, and i’m sure the statistics could be done.
TLDR: Don’t be intellectually lazy, read the whole post.

9 Likes

Not lazy to disagree. Faster que means faster gear. Changes the aspect of loot as a whole on pve servers.

1 Like

You just agreed with me with another aspect in support of my point, one which I had not considered. Thanks.

This is only true with respect to the rep gear. If looking for rank based gear, you only compete with your own faction on your own server. So slow queue times (or fast) are experienced by everyone you are competing with.

1 Like

But my point is, that balance gets out of skew when you mix in crbgs

2 Likes

Oh you’re the one making the game? Can I have a free mount?

Not a chance.

Thats actually false in the old PVP system.

The only people youre competing against for rank is your own faction members.

Speed of Q is meaningless if everyone on your faction averages the same wait time.

What matters is your personal number of contribution points VS the others of your same faction.

For you to personally get ahead of the pack there are two methods. Play extremely well with other like minded players who’re also skilled and work well in a team thus making your win ratio and speed of winning fast.

OR

Try and play a ton of hours in a feeble and frankly insane effort gain points by volume; not quality.

Both methods can achieve the goal, but the first one is the best option.

1 Like

I’d rather not have CRBGs at all. But if it becomes a necessary evil that we must suffer, then so be it.

Yes i did :slight_smile:

Here’s my suggestion again.

CRBGs only activate when queue times reach a certain threshold, let’s say 30 minutes. When they reach 30 minutes, they start to line up players from other realms that also have queues around 30 minutes.

3 Likes

I don’t think they’re going to do cross realm.

Ion said in a tweet that they’re going with a “lean” realmlist to avoid dead servers.

I think it’ll be turned off for the first part and added if need be.

When major raiding/premade groups transfer off a server, it tends to leave a massive debilitating vacuum though.

1 Like