Crashing, freezing, and stuttering after 8.3 [Intel GPUs]

Until They say it is fixed, it isn’t. So stop getting your hopes up for nothing.

2 Likes

People who decide to Boot Camp, there’s a message in WoW that says your graphics card driver is out of date and to upgrade your graphics card. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT INSTALL UPDATE. 9/25/19 graphics driver for Intel sucks very major badly.

2 Likes

IDK if they did anything for our issue today, but if they are reading this my game seems to be a bit better. could just be coincidental. To test for freezing I typically just que for a bg, and will 100% lag out on the first major fight. This time i made it about 6-7 minutes into the bg before lagging out and having my pc crash lol… so idk. maybe just coincidence

2 Likes

Thanks for this! I didn’t do it because I couldn’t easily figure out how and the game works fine without it. Good to know it’s not worth it.

I just learned that there was maintenance, was the problem corrected? Is this just a terrible nightmare? Need answers

Windowed screen didn’t work for me. :confused:
Decided to start leveling my alts since the end game is definitely broken… doing lvl 20s dungeons, and still experiencing the same problem.

So I’m guessing it’s not the new content, but a change in settings.

I did not have this problem when I used Boot Camp, but good to know for others who may encounter this problem.

It’s a change to the graphics code made by the platform team. They were likely attempting to improve things and it went horribly wrong on them. It’s a safe bet it wasn’t their intention to screw things up so badly for Mac users. They’re trying hard to find just which changes made the game crash and panic (restart) computers with Intel graphics, but when you’re poreing through tons of code trying to find which function(s) are fouling things up, it’s slow going since they have to make fairly educated guesses, try a workaround (meaning a new internal build) and see if it works. If not, then it’s back to the drawing board and the search continues.

FWIW, the team that handles the graphics and platform specific parts of WoW is different than the team handling things like the new auction house functionality (that would be the actual devs). So the devs working on mail and AH issues does not impact the work being done to figure out and fix the Mac issues in this thread. They’re two entirely separate teams.

3 Likes

as someone who mentioned they can’t play due to a loss of a feature for an entire expansion you seem way too hopeful.

But yeah I doubt blizzard is doing any

So basically what you’re saying is, they knowingly pushed out a broken patch that didn’t fix anything. And can’t get good quality control in any part of the game they program

If they knew it was broken ahead of time they wouldn’t have pushed the commit to the CDN. I can guarantee you they didn’t know it was broken in this instance. It’s entirely different than the 8.3.5 patch cancellation you’re likely referring to.

People in testing reported the very same issue.

Where is our delay Blue post telling us to just deal with it?

6 Likes

I never mentioned 8.3.5 just like I haven’t mentioned boot camp works for most people including people with an Intel gpu

And it was thought that any issues that were reported on were fixed. Obviously they were incorrect on that. Sadly they didn’t nail it down with the attempted hotfix yesterday either, so double whammy on them this time. It’s the craps, but unfortunately it is what it is. All anyone can do is hope the actual cause is found soon. And by that I mean sooner than Soon™.

Boot Camp working with Intel GPUs is an entirely different scenario since the Windows client uses DX11 or DX12 (depending on your GPU/IGP). OS X uses Metal, its own graphics API. In this case the comparison is apples to a keg of beer.

Pls daddy I want blue words all over my screen

6 Likes

Either way most of your comments are meaningless because as you said, you can’t even play their game from a removed feature. Funny how your stalking the forums to randomly be pro blizzard

1 Like

Yep still happening… just had the Mac crash, it’s getting old

1 Like

Wonder which will come first, 1k posts in the thread or the next blue post that essentially says nothing kekw

1 Like

Actually, anyone that knows me here knows graphics is my specialty. My insight and information has nothing to do with whether or not I can play the game. I can read crash reports just as well as Blizzard can. The Intel driver issue was easy for me to spot in this case from the panic reports. The actual trigger (function(s)) is another matter - I don’t know which functions Blizzard is using with Metal.

The general cause is known. It’s the specific trigger that’s being looked for by Blizzard. Unfortunately that’s roughly all I know on this end, the same as you. But I don’t necessarily have to be playing or able to play the game to diagnose many of the issues out there. I did after all maintain tech support help even when I wasn’t playing during the first half of MoP (because I hated the theme of the expansion and the horrid daily quest setup). I still provide TS on the Diablo 3 side as well, though with no changes to the renderer in sight, there’s little to report on over there. :frowning:

Edit: It should be noted that even if I were playing the game right now, I couldn’t reproduce the panic and crashing from the Intel driver since I’m in a hackintosh running a GTX 1080 Ti. The issue with Intel’s driver only affects Mojave and Catalina, so I couldn’t reproduce it even if I wanted to since I can’t use those two OSes with a Pascal GPU in OS X (which blows - thanks Apple).

3 Likes

just tested it by running a bg. game crashed within seconds of bg starting… ya this is getting super old… unsubbed and going back to league

2 Likes