Crashing, freezing, and stuttering after 8.3 [Intel GPUs]

Bliz this is total bullish at this point. In your previous posts you mentioned the patch wasn’t ready. Then you mentioned the reset patch included a fix… which it didn’t and made it worse. Just be honest. IS THERE A PLAN TO ACTUALLY FIX IT OR NO?

Please see my post above yours. Blizzard’s platform team had thought they had (re)worked around the driver bug that’s triggering the crashes and panics. That apparently ended up not being the case. They’re still trying to work around it on their end. Believe it or not, the Intel driver issues have been an ongoing problem ever since 10.12 (Sierra). Blizzard finally nailed that issue to the wall, but it would seem that one or more of the changes they made for 8.3’s initial launch (and then the subsequent workaround) are triggering this problem again.

There does appear to be two separate issues going on in this thread. One is the crashing and panics caused by the Intel driver bug. The other is randomly poor in-game performance (freezes, lag). All of the outright crashes and panics are on machines using Intel graphics though, so right now those machines with only Intel graphics are kind of screwed until Blizzard can work around it again. Ultimately it’s going to be on Apple to permanently fix this problem once and for all, but as I noted about this being an issue as far back as 10.12, Apple isn’t exactly being speedy with its bugfixes.

One thing is certain for sure: Blizzard is definitely working to resolve this so you can get back to playing again.

P.S. - In case anyone thinks I’m shilling here, understand this: I still can’t play the game because Blizzard removed features I need to accomodate disabilities. I’ve missed out on this expansion entirely. I’m more than willing to call them out where it’s due. In this instance, it’s that awful Intel driver rearing its ugly head again and Blizzard is trying to find out what part of the changes they made trigger the bug so they can undo it or work around it. I can assure you it’s also definitely been posted to Apple’s Radar bug reporting system.

It’s craptacular, but please try to have a bit more patience right now. I mean that in a “please” manner, not a “shut up and deal with it” manner. This wasn’t what they wanted or intended to happen.

12 Likes

It is both a mac and a game issue. Or rather, the game is no longer fully compatible with mac OS. For me, I run a late 2015 MacBook pro 13", 2.8 ghz dual core intel core i5, 8g ram, iris graphics 6100 1536 mb, OS fully up to date. The game freezes at times and it doesn’t affect my computer. Others (in the new raid, about 5 seconds into the Wrathion fight) it freezes up my whole computer and then after 5-10 minutes of frozen screen and unresponsive computer, the computer restarts saying only “your computer restarted because there was a problem”. This is clearly a qc issue, and is one that I reported on my FIRST DAY in the ptr, the first week it was open.

So wait, people have had their macs working with all sorts of software for years without issue, including wow. 8.3 releases and this hidden GPU that causes the entire computer to crash is just now revealed? Lol, no man. This is a wow issue.

11 Likes

Mac OS Version: 10.15.2
System model: Macbook Pro 13 inch, 2017
Symptom: Lagging, crashing, anytime I play a dungeon or go into a heavily trafficked area I get the rainbow cursor that spins. At one point last night it completely shut down my laptop.

1 Like

Twitter just said that they’re doing maintenance again at 1pst, hopefully it fixes? I just started and I would love to play

2 Likes

It’s either another attempt at a fix/workaround for the Mac issues or Blizzard realized that EU got the “inactive” faction heroic queue enabled and we didn’t, so they’re doing it for the NA region too. Or both. Hopefully both so everyone gets to be happy today. :slight_smile:

Don’t get your hopes up

Can’t wait for the daily nothing burger blue post.

WoW is the catalyst here, but it isn’t the cause of the problem. Any game that uses the same function(s) that are triggering the panic here will also experience the same panic. Blizzard knows that the changes they made for 8.3 trigger the crash/panic, and they tried to work around that once already. It failed to resolve the issue though, which is what they were afraid might happen. But an attempt to fix it was warranted so players weren’t left in the lurch with nothing to work with. Now they’re got to try again and figure out what the root trigger is, but who knows how long that will take. I doubt even they know really, since tracking down things like this can be time consuming work (and then some).

All we can do in the meantime is (try to) have patience. This is being worked on and once the problem is found, the push will almost certainly happen sooner than the typical “wait for a Windows push cycle” that Mac users usually have to endure.

Hey gang - After yet another patch with no resolution I think I found a potential work around to the issue to at least make the game playable. I’ve had the same crashing/beach ball/ freezing issues as the rest of you so this may work - mileage may vary of course.

Run WoW in a window and not full screened.

I did this ahead of an Ashran BG yesterday on a whim and ran the full time without a single crash. I originally set my window to be about 50% of the screen width, but have been steadily inching my way to about 75-80% without problem. It’s not ideal but its playable and frankly I laughed a little seeing all the complaints about the unplayable lag and others not being able to see anything, while I healed the whole time through.

Hope this helps some of you because as-is the game is unplayable.

Now, rant time - looking at you Blizz employees. I get you’re doing your standard troubleshooting but f’ing hell, just boot up the office Mac and TRY PLAYING THE GAME YOURSELF. This isn’t a hardware issue, it’s your patch. Stop asking for crowdsourced logs, you can replicate this in house yourselves as I’ve yet to see a single poster in this thread saying they’re fine.

/rant

Happy WoWing all.

4 Likes

lol - just got home from errands, and servers are down…hopefully it will in some way address the issues. Outside of the, I’ve been doing the windowed mode, and while it lessens the beachball for 10-15s every couple minutes, to hard lockups requiring reboots every 15-20m.
Hence I’m way behind on my cloak…but as my guild isnt currently raiding I’ll just stack up vials/essences for a bit.

OK then, more than a week of this… Trying to run my mage through Halls of Origination. game has been frozen for over 20 minutes, but it hasn’t crashed? I did hear Magni and M.O.T.H.E.R. do the stage 7 dialog about 5 minutes in, but I am stuck in stage 6 and hadn’t even started on the puzzle. Beginning to realize we are the LAST priority for Blizz. After all, they messed up the Auction House and people are sad. Why did they ever waste resources on that “upgrade” that I have yet to hear a positive comment about?

1 Like

Just want to say thank you for all the information you are researching and providing in the thread. I unfortunately have a Mac with a single Intel graphics option so I will need to wait for the Blizzard code magicians to work their magic.

servers are up lets see if anything changed lmao

Well, since I just spent two days installing Bootcamp/Windows only to finally log into play and see “Server shutdown in 12:00 minutes”, I wanted to share some tips on the process in case anyone else is trying it (assuming the fix isn’t today :crossed_fingers:).

The original description of the Bootcamp process is in the comment I’m replying to.

A few more things:

• you need ~100Gb and 3-5 hours to do this, no money
  • partitioning the drive should take less than 30 min, if it gets stuck you can restart it
  • when the computer restarts to reboot into Bootcamp, press the Option key immediately as it starts up. This will give you an option to pick the bootcamp partition instead of your usual disk.
  • If you need to re-do Bootcamp from scratch (like if you didn’t press the Option key), you can delete the partition with Disk Utility
  • In Windows, Wow is located in Program Files, so you’ll need to put your Interface, etc files somewhere like Bootcamp (C:) > Program Files (x86) > World of Warcraft > retail
  • the ‘Windows’ button on a Mac keyboard is Command. When in fullscreen Wow, to see menu bar press Command. To see Desktop press Command+D
  • And for the most painful part: I use the inverted mouse scrolling on my Mac but there’s no option for this in Windows 10. This took me forever to figure out but the link below has two options. The first one didn’t work for me but the second (AutoHotKey) did (and was really easy).
    ~https://windowsreport.com/reverse-scroll-direction-windows-10/~

Good luck and I hope they fix the game for Macs soon, it’s really ridiculous that it’s still a problem. If it’s not entirely their fault, they should at least be more communicative about what’s going on. If it was known on the PTR, they definitely should have warned us.

4 Likes

Until They say it is fixed, it isn’t. So stop getting your hopes up for nothing.

2 Likes

People who decide to Boot Camp, there’s a message in WoW that says your graphics card driver is out of date and to upgrade your graphics card. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT INSTALL UPDATE. 9/25/19 graphics driver for Intel sucks very major badly.

2 Likes

IDK if they did anything for our issue today, but if they are reading this my game seems to be a bit better. could just be coincidental. To test for freezing I typically just que for a bg, and will 100% lag out on the first major fight. This time i made it about 6-7 minutes into the bg before lagging out and having my pc crash lol… so idk. maybe just coincidence

2 Likes

Thanks for this! I didn’t do it because I couldn’t easily figure out how and the game works fine without it. Good to know it’s not worth it.