Crashing, freezing, and stuttering after 8.3 [Intel GPUs]

Ironically I use boot camp on my Mac to play SWTOR, EA/Bioware at least are clear and honest there game doesn’t support Macs. I can respect that, this deception on Blizzard’s part is absurd and unacceptable. Maybe a little more honesty and a little less BS.

7 Likes

Without too much extraneous detail:

Where: PvP Island expedition, two different times (both losses, obviously)
Who: Void Elf Frost Mage on Feathermoon US
What:1) During big mob pull, and 2) after dying in PvP, System froze, I manually restarted
When: around 3:00-4:30 Eastern, 12:00-1:30 realm time, exact timing is hazy.

Also getting some horrendous lag spikes starting a few days back.

2 Likes

I’m having issues with my MacBook too now. This is beyond ridiculous

2 Likes

I’m having issues with my Mac now as well. It freezes randomly and won’t turn on sometimes after WoW shut down my computer one time (and many after) I’ve NEVER had an issue with my Mac before this: it’s new and barely used (I was playing on a different computer before this patch) . This is awfully disgusting

1 Like

Add my name to users of macs with intel graphic drivers that have unsubbed their accounts.

I got excited when I saw a new update for my mac. I thought to myself “yay blizzard talked to apple and apple put out an update!” not true.

My disc priest crashed while killing thoughtstealer vos
(well didn’t crash, because I didn’t allow it to wait that long; I forced shut down)

I was willing to be patient and wait for a fix until I saw this comment:

World of warcraft might be designed specifically for window computers. Even if that is true, I still payed more for my mac than any of my window computers that I’ve ever owned.
As much I enjoy playing this game I’m not going to let this game break my computer.
With that said I have placed WoW into storage on my external drive.
I may be back or I may not

1 Like

Anyone successfully make switch to wow private servers? Let me know…

1 Like

Well, weirdly enough, I’m a lawyer. I putting the paperwork together now for a class action lawsuit. I will need at least 12 to 20 class representatives to be certified under FRCP 23. I’m looking for long time players with significant /played time who have been using Mac for most of the time. As I get closer, I will look for representatives. BTW, my gamer tag is FNLawyer#1402.

21 Likes

Has anyone contacted Intel at all? It’s most definitely a bug in their driver, as people have seen success downgrading to High Sierra. I would think Blizzard would be in contact with both Apple and Intel at this point, but I’m really getting the feeling like they’re going to kill WoW support for Mac after this. Not the first MMO I’ve played where they killed Mac support.

There’s never been a game breaking bug like this for Mac users. And they’ve supported Mac since before Burning Crusade. Four weeks on and the game is unplayable. I have boot camp but, that’s major real estate on a SSD that’s 250gb. Sadly any attempt to build awareness would bring out the lolmac trolls.

3 Likes

Not just that. Blizzard’s games have had been playable on iMacs ever since Warcraft 1. That’s in 1996 (when the iMac client launched).

I would be very shocked if they drop the support now after a quarter-century.

1 Like

Don’t misunderstand, I don’t want them to drop Mac support. I would take faith in the fact that they supported Mac since 1996 as a sign of continued support, if not for the fact that Blizzard is more Activision now and I don’t have a lot of faith in Activision.

Hey, uh, can someone explain to me why “run through old test builds to see which iteration starts the problems, so you can pinpoint the specific 8.3 updated code that breaks intel graphics cards” isn’t a solution here?

In an ideal world, sure, the drivers would be beefed up and WoW wouldn’t need to twist itself to fit them, but the above feels like a very obvious route to take, and only really requires a susceptible mac to test. Unless Blizzard has been rampantly lazy and not kept old PTR builds, mind you, that would also explain why that hasn’t happened.

2 Likes

Approaching 10 years playing WoW (and D3) on an iMac. I started playing WoW specifically because it supported Mac. If they want to stop supporting Mac, they need to say so, take it off the box and stop taking our money! I have had some weird effects after the WoW forced restarts on my Mac (aside from in-game) such as inability to connect my wireless mouse and it seems slower to load other things. And my activity monitor is messed up now. It won’t show actual usage or other data, just the list of processes.

Is anyone technically-minded in a position to set out the real world risks to our computers due to the impact that the WoW crashes are causing?

I’d like to know personally, but actually having it here in writing for Blizzard to see would be useful.

And with the best will in the world, I don’t mean people giving anecdotes of “it slowed my computer down” or “my computer is now dead because of WoW”. I mean a genuine, technically sound explanation of the impact or potential impact that the specific type of crash caused by WoW poses to our machines?

9 Likes

So, did they tweak the graphics too low? Today, tried DMF Firebird’s Challenge on two different chars…No rings appear. They’re there, and I can fly through the first four using the Force…and get credit…but …actually…Now that I look…there aren’t aren’t really any fireworks, much less rings.

this is so annoying cuz i recently upgraded from high sierra and wasn’t having these problems. now the only way i can go back is if i completely wipe my computer. just FYI blizzard, i cant play bgs because I spend the entire game FROZEN. not that you care. why would u release a patch like this without testing it on macs. They cant even be bothered to respond with updates on the situation. pathetic.

Not sure if they fixed anything but I stopped crashing, even while in a crowded bfn

2 Likes

In the process list in Activity Monitor, scroll to the right.

Another crash again.
Where was I: Dark moon faire
As someone who just started playing wow, it’s not looking good for me subscribing lmao

This is what I may have to do. Did you just install the win version of wow to the external ssd?

Fyi: You could just install High Sierra on an external drive and just boot to that to play WoW if you didn’t have issues.

Many people in this thread can’t run that OS because the machine they have is newer and it won’t run older versions of the OS.