Crashing, freezing, and stuttering after 8.3 [Intel GPUs]

Alright, thanks dude.

I was thinking about leveling up a Mage on Classic and I was afraid of picking up a sub just to have my Mac crash non-stop at Valley of Trials.

Glad to hear that’s not going to happen!

Tonight was better. I was doing outdoor old content solo stuff since that’s what I’ve been able to do since this problem started, but I noticed that I didn’t seem to be stuttering at all. So I signed up for a dungeon and didn’t encounter any freezes or crashes, so I did two more without a problem. There was one point where my frame rate dropped significantly, but the screen never actually froze. So, was something fixed? Was I just lucky? Am I jinxing myself by reporting this? :wink: Crossing fingers.

MacBook Pro (14,1)
MacOS 10.14.6
WoW Client 8.3.0.33115 (x64)
Intel Core i5 2.3 GHz (2 cores)
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
16 GB RAM

1 Like

Y’all have until Tuesday to fix this s**t or I’m canceling my sub…done playin with this company

4 Likes

Nothing is planned for Tuesday, not sure why people are thinking it is. the basic stuff they do every Tuesday is all that is planned. No fix for Mac is even ready at this point.

2 Likes

I’m having the same issues as everyone else. Game has been unplayable on 2 different Macs since 8.3 rolled out. I think we are at a minimum owed an update/explanation given we are paying for this lost sub time.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue on my Macbook Pro and my husband’s Macbook Pro. Mine is newer than his - purchased just last summer.

MacOS Mojave 10.14.6
Macbook Pro 2019
Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Graphics Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB
WoW Client 8.3.0.33115

WoW freezes, and I need to manually Quit the game in order to restart it, whenever I’m in an instance, a battleground, or an area where there is a lot of activity. Visions are impossible to do, as are mythics.

Once I had WoW crash my entire Macbook - there were no other programs running at the time. The entire screen went black and the computer shut down.

I’ve tried everything: Scan and Repair WoW, uninstall all my addons and start over from scratch, play in Windowed mode, selecting my specific graphics card, etc. Nothing has worked.

I do hope we Mac users get some additional sub time to make up for the time the game is unplayable.

4 Likes

You guys need to just look up to run windows on your Mac. All macs have this program called bootcamp and you can download windows 10 for free online now. Seriously, don’t make yourselves suffer. I had an issue for a week and I’ve been on just fine.

1 Like

There are two inherent issues with Bootcamp though, 1. it takes up alot of storage if you want to use it to play video games and 2. it doesn’t run well for alot of people
However, it is a good idea if you have a Mac that can run it and has enough storage to run it if you’re playing WoW or something of similar size.

4 Likes

I will honestly not be surprised if Tuesday comes around and there’s no fix or response at all, it’s sadly Blizzard’s MO now… This whole mess makes me really miss Old Blizzard where they were at least somewhat talkative about the issues; I mean, I do get why they’d be silent, as the Community guys are getting alot of flack for their wording, which to be fair, is poor but I don’t really blame them for not wanting to wade back into the fires with how people have been responding to them when they’re just the messengers.

4 Likes

6 days with no update from Blizzard. The fix is definitely not coming this week.

5 Likes

How high can you crank the settings before you get decreased framerate/performance with that egpu? just curious…

Ok guyss. I come to you with a healthy Update. Ive been having this issue For about 13 days since 8.3 dropped on OSX. Recently i sucked it up , cleaned out my Bootcamp and downloaded the game on windows. I have been playing for approximately 4 hours with no freezing or Rainbow wheel. ALL CONTENT Bgs , 2 mythic and some random Inner city stuff. This may be what we all have to do if we intent to play the game. Make sure you partion at least 90+ gigs.

I am running a 2015 MBP 2.9ghz dual core
8g ram
Currently on windows 8.1.

Ill keep you all updated!!

3 Likes

I would recommend buying an external HD run the game on so you have enough space for bootcamp. Honestly, wow runs a lot better on the windows side.

2 Likes

Some people don’t have the available hard drive space for that, windows takes up a lot of space and so does WoW. Not to mention for people who do have eGPUs, Apple has killed eGPU Bootcamp compatibility in their latest OS X. We shouldn’t have to find work arounds like this for a game that claims it is Mac compatible. No malicious intent, it can work for some people, but it’s not a forever fix.

6 Likes

I submitted a ticket, and this is the reply:

Hi Josep

The problem has not yet been resolved and is something to be fixed at the programming level.

I can only recommend that you try to install bootcamp and run the game on Windows or try the window mode while developing the patch

If I could tell you any other solution I would.

We hope to have solved it in the patch on the 22nd but it has not worked.

We need to try other solutions in other patches.

I feel it is not good news.

regards

Philimandres

Hope they’re working on this, cause its very frustrating.

5 Likes

I’m over it lol putting my Mac up for sale later tonight

2 Likes

This was the reply to my ticket regarding people receiving compensation for the game being messed up, and about not receiving any update about the issue :

Thank you for contacting us regarding this. Reading over the request I can totally understand where you’re coming from. I know it’s not easy having the game start freezing up after a recent patch.

It looks like we are updating the thread you linked us as we receive updates from our Quality Assurance team. This does mean that we have to wait on another department for more information before we can really post anything more.

Since bug fixes can sometimes require recoding certain aspects of the game it can at times be a lengthy process. We don’t have any way to provide an ETA for a fix through support since that process is managed entirely by a different department.

As far as compensation goes typically anything like that would need to be done globally to all affected players instead of requiring players to contact support specifically. Otherwise it would be unfair to users who did not contact us which is not something we would do.

I wish we had better news here but I do hope the information helps. If there’s anything else you might need just let us know.

1 Like

We don’t have any way to provide an ETA for a fix through support since that process is managed entirely by a different department.

Then MAYBE that department should post something!

2 Likes

Hey,
Could those of you who have already used the bootcamp / windows solution please answer a couple questions that I have? I finally got some time to clear space and am going to try it for myself. Around how many GB do think I should partition? I plan on just using it for retail WoW and want to be sure I allocate enough space for the twitch client for 10-15 addons, Elvui and a decent amount of weakauras.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks so much :smiley:

100GB you can also scroll up and find that people have already post the whole thing.