Cranky Quarantine Thread

The worst part is that it works: at least on me.

I was this close to deleting my blizzard account but then I remembered how hard my friends and I worked to get my challenge mode armor and weapons… I stayed subscribed to Warlords of Draenor for several months later than I would have otherwise, first to get the damn things then just for the sake of doing stuff while wearing them, in hopes of somehow making it worth those late nights doing the bullcrap that was challenge mode Everbloom!

Man, you guys remember how there used to be an entire set of highly-coveted cosmetic gear that you got for being good at what was essentially Mythic+?

On top of three unique tier sets for every class, for every raid?

Like, i get that allied races probably took a lot of art hours, but it really just seems like we always end up with less and worse transmog options.

9 Likes

I’ll be honest, other MMOs have ruined me for 99% of WoW gear.

That so much of it is retextured spandex is just ugly to me now.

I still don’t believe this is the case. Or, if it was, it failed in the most spectacular way possible.

While I don’t think it isn’t monetarily motivated, I don’t see who has the 500$ or more to drop on the purchase of a single mount. I can’t imagine token values have jumped significantly based on that either.

It’s still absolutely a gimmick to squeeze the money out of every consumer they possibly can (because that’s all WoW is about anymore) I just can’t possibly comprehend how unless it ends up on the cash shop later instead, or something.

That’s the point most people don’t

You know the horror stories of people burning thousands of dollars they don’t have on Gacha? It’s the exact same thing.

You’re preying on the people who are addicted to completion who will spend money they don’t have because they have a compulsion.

As soneone earlier said (dont remember who) It will absolutely 100% end up as another “sub for 6 months and get it” mount

That’s the thing, though. They don’t even have to make lots of transmog options. Just good ones.

The whole FFXIV playerbase went totally gaga over a single set of transmog gear, to the point where they ran a raid dozens of times a week just for a shot at it. When was the last time someone did that for a WoW mog set? MoP with the Kor’kron shaman set?

4 Likes

Pretry much.

The laziness and corner cutting irks me to no end.

Bows are a great example. Legion has shown us its possible to design bows with Quivers.

Why has every bow since bot been deaigned with a quiver?

1 Like

plus, y’know, vanilla

3 Likes

Vanilla through end of Wrath, when we lost quivers. And then we lost melee weapons (we don’t talk about MSV).

Anyone remember in WoD they showed cosmetic designs for quivers, gun belts, librams, and other neat stuff, and all we got was a couple artifact designs, a couple PvP belts from WoD, and nothing else?

3 Likes

They technically did give librams to paladins, but only like 5 models, and they’re tied to the artifact weapon so you can’t transmog them separately. Very disappointing.

1 Like

I understand there are perfectly legitimate technical issues but I’m never going to get over the whole fist weapons / artifact staff animation nonsense.

Can’t let transmog solve the problem, because it would invalidate our completely arbitrary restrictions. Can’t let players use unique appearances / animations, it would reduce the special factor of them.

What if we just wiggle the switch back and forth because we can’t make up our minds if fist weapons should or shouldn’t show on monks?

Yeah that’ll do it.

No I’m not bitter why do you ask? Is it the years of growing, scathing criticism I keep levying at Blizzard’s factual dishonesty and greed? Couldn’t be.

Bonus; How long has the jig in (w)iggle been banned?

4 Likes

Giving cool stuff to players doesn’t translate directly into dividends for the shareholders, so it’s out. Players will get just enough of a drip feed of cool stuff to keep them from abandoning ship.

The extent to which this is even a good game anymore is incidental; they’re not actually trying to make a good game. They’re just trying to make a profit, under an ethos which doesn’t recognize “make the best product you can” as a worthwhile means of doing so.

4 Likes

I’ll go the step further and suggest it’s never been a good game. It used to be a big, accessible game, and for a lot of people it had things they liked, but I don’t know if I ever called it “good”. There was some pretense of doing things they found interesting, or providing things player wanted.

And as soon as they got big enough they stopped doing that. And somehow it’s been in this magical decline ever sense.

Inb4 someone comes shrieking in to claim that what Blizzard puts out qualifies as quality.

Ha ha, yeah.

Hey, remember when they put out a really cool explorer’s outfit, complete with gear and extra apparel that people had been clamoring for for years and then hid it behind a $230 Recruit a Friend scam?

Gosh, how long has it been since they tried such a brazen grab for cash? Two…three weeks?

8 Likes

Im sure it shouldn’t at this point. However, Blizzard’s brazen naked greed continues to shock me.

1 Like

Is there a timeframe in which a friend has to spend that much money on WoW to get that stuff or is it just if they spend that much after being recruited you get the outfit?

Unless you exploit a loophole in the system, the minimum is like 3 months iirc. You also only get the rewards one month at a time, normally. If you have a friend buy 12 months of game time you will get the rewards one per month for 12 months.

It incentivizes you to get multiple friends all at once–but limits you to 4 per month to stretch it out.

1 Like

Also known as

Complete garbage.

It’s long been known that recruit a friend is a sham. 9 out of 10 people using it are just buying multiple accounts that they abandon as soon as they qualify for a reward.

5 Likes

I’m legitimately happy with my transmog and mount options. So Blizzard’s attempts to get me to spend more money on stuff kinda fell flat.

Though yeah, part of the reason I use a Crossbow is because the lack of quivers on bows. And the weird thwip sound Guns make now-a-days.