Could the Undead Night Elves be ever accepted by their living kin?

So, we all know what actually happens to the undead Kaldorei in the recent scenario - they join the Horde and the Forsaken specifically (perhaps to stab Sylvanas in the back later, which I don’t find convincing but it doesn’t matter right now anyway).

However, the discussion surrounding this event has got me thinking: what would happen if they accepted the undeath for one reason or another (because the afterlife is terrible, because they feel angry and betrayed and must continue to fight, etc.), but decided/were able to listen to Tyrande’s pleas to “fight the shadow in their hearts” and tried to rejoin their people? Could they possibly be accepted as equals and allies? On one hand, such an outcome doesn’t seem possible judging by the attitudes the Night Elves have toward their death knights; on the other hand, the only alternative I’m seeing is that the undead NEs would be expected to commit suicide, presumably for their own good, and this doesn’t mesh well with Maiev’s initial unwillingness to kill Sira in combat. To ask Sira and Delaryn to come back only to shun and exile them later, though, is just pointless.

3 Likes

I don’t see them coming back into the fold, even though I think Tyrande understands their anger. I would like to see them redeemed in some manner. Maybe they realize that Elune didn’t abandon them and she accepts them back in.

4 Likes

if they have dks, why they wouldn’t accept them?.

tyrande literally says “you must fight the shadow in ur hearts”
she is willing to take them back.

21 Likes

as another point out, tyrande was ready to accept them, she didnt much care “fight the shadow in your heart” the problem is that they didn’t want to come back instead wanted to help the people who murdered them, murder the rest of their kin

14 Likes

There’s no real difference between these guys and death knights, and we’ve never seen the nelves have any problem with death knights. There’s no reason to assume they wouldn’t be.

11 Likes

They probably could have learned to accept the undead NE, but they turned against there kin, so that might be the bigger issue here. Also in BtS, there were humans that were ready to accept their undead kin, so the living and undead can get along.

4 Likes

Next Allied Race:

Elune-forged Undead Night Elf

2 Likes

I have come see those two as neither Sira nor Delaryn.

The only way that I can make this monstrosity of a story line show any respect to Night Elf lore is for them to be abominations.

Sira and Delaryn are dead. Whatever is inside the undead versions have a twisted access to their memories, motivations, and values.

They still speak to those memories and values, but their current actions are in utter contrast to those memories and values.

Ending their undeaths would be a mercy to their memories, and for their families and friends.

Additionally, any Night Elf seeing these two on the battlefield would be seized by the twisting horror that they are now.

Each is a sign, a warning, of what Sylvanas and Nathanos can and will do to them–gleefully.

If Saurfang has any decency and honor, he will see the parallels to his own son, and act accordingly.

6 Likes

he is, he is going into rebellion

3 Likes

Personally I think one of Sylvanas’s Banshees possessed the bodies and that the two Kaldorei who fought and died spirits departed their bodies and have gone into the shadow lands or wherever the Kaldorei’s afterlife is located.

3 Likes

The DKs aren’t accepted. Ask CDev says “the night elves abhor the death knights”. They hate and distrust them even more than the Highborne mages and those guys were getting murdered for their class choice.

That’s. . . very much not true.

1 Like

are you saying that when a dk is getting quest from nelfs characters isn’t canon?

I doubt it. They have betrayed their race, and the alliance. They now willingly (to our knowledge) aid sylvanas. Sylvanas who has attempted genocide on the night elves. burned teldrassil, and slaughtered children.
And they still willingly followed her. Now fight for her, killing night elves. Trying to keep the night elf ancestral lands from night elves.
Thats very different from unwilling death knights.

3 Likes

What are Void Elves?

1 Like

No absolutely not. The Undead Night Elves will have to forever live on the fringes of Night Elf society as outcasts, renegades, and dark protectors.

Though Night Elves will never know how much they owe them because they don’t do it for the accolades, or for acceptance that will never come.

Or other words. Why play an undead Night Elf unless it’s to be edgy and not have bat wings?

3 Likes

Excuse you, my DH has skeletal wings.

But that’s only because Blizzard won’t give me a glyph to use the fel aura glide that Veng Meta has.

1 Like

I like this interpretation.

1 Like

You said that night elves abhor the death knights. but i will ask you, all of them? Even Knights of the Ebon Blade? Those DK not only are loyal to the Alliance, also they were (as most DK) raised and converted against their will. So, if nights elfs knows that there is group of unholy knights among them, who wield powers and have a nature that go against Night elves culture, but they know they were forced to go into that, and also knows that this knights are willing to help and fight for the Alliance and the night elves. Then, they will really be abhor for they kin? They not should take pity on them?

There are lot of "IF"s involved in that scenario, each of increasing improbability.

Undead are infamous for being unresponsive towards pleas from the living… especially if their return from death involved emotions that include hating said leader for her perceived abandonment.

1 Like

Which ask cdev said that?