Corruption Effects Adjustments Incoming

Exactly, you wanted ultimate power, you payed the ultimate price.

Next time, you won’t just equip everything that falls into your bags, you’ll make… gasp choices. Utilize your agency.

That exists, it’s called wear less corruption.

That is ultimately what player agency is.

Wrong. I’m referencing AD&D. We didn’t pick and choose our gear builds and loot and whether our Vorpal Sword beheaded the Orc leader instantly, we rolled the dice and worked with what we found.

There is no such thing in RPGs. The Agency is working with the puzzle pieces you have. Corruption is a perfect RPG model of agency. You get a few pieces, you play around with them and picks what works for you.

1 Like

If that happens, I made the choice to not cleanse my gear. So then im actually FORCED into the choice of cleansing my gear. So what was your point again?

1 Like

Has the Nerf been implemented yet? I just got some gear and wanted to test it out today… legit bummed out.

They actually buffed stars like 300% when it hit live.

My sub runs out in 24 hours. None of this angers me.

Here’s to hoping Blizzard reduces the Obsidian Destruction range to 8 yards and increase the damage it does for the yard reduction. :smile:

I get nervous pulling adds in mythic+ because how far the range it does…

1 Like

LOL does anyone have that feeling that they purposely release it to be OP at the start to hook players in but nerf later. And because of time invested players don’t give up on it and regrind for new traits.

3 Likes

Thanks so now I get killed for no particular reason because the damage to mobs proc is pointless.

1 Like

Copying from a post of mine in another thread, because I agree there is a certain “intentional” element…

[quote=“Tadpo-eldrethalas, post:64, topic:422559, full:true”]
Nerfs to Corruption bonuses, specifically Infinite Stars, aren’t even remotely a surprise. In fact, they were very reliably predicted. Don’t worry, they’ll get around to those other outliers soon as well.

I initially thought that the positive Corruption effects were intentionally too powerful to tempt players into suffering through the negative Corruption effects and dealing with more deaths in content because of them, therefore slowing down content consumption. While the devs may view that as an added bonus of the design, I no longer think that. Imagine being level 119, and someone gives you an item level 460 weapon that requires level 120… do you sell/DE it or keep it for when you can use it? You save it of course. That’s what I believe they’ve essentially done to us with Corruption gear. Long after people have cleared Ny’alotha, there will be players still pushing to upgrade their cloak so they can eventually use that tier 3 Infinite Stars item with 75 Corruption on it, if not more than one. They’ve intentionally front loaded gear acquisition ahead of when we can use it - so I believe they’re balancing NOW for that time in the future - a future date they can reliably predict since advancement on the cloak is gated with a set schedule. If I’m right, the devs didn’t need to balance them on the PTR. Sure, you could technically run a lot of Corruption now, but that time you spend moving out of range of the eye or dealing with the Thing from Beyond is lost dps… even if it doesn’t kill you, it WILL slow you down and therefore slow consumption of the content.

I’m not defending this by any means. To the contrary, it’s wretched and underhanded, and intentionally leads players into a “No Win” situation. No matter what course of action Blizzard takes at this point it will leave a bad experience for players - for those that game Corruption or hold onto the items, that effort isn’t going to be rewarded with further nerfs. For those that cleanse the item to use right away, even though the nerfs won’t effect them, they’re going to constantly worry about the positive effect they’ve given up - one they might have to hope drops later once their cloak has reached a sufficient level of Corruption resistance. If they don’t nerf, then the game is broken and people will be carrying these effects deep into Shadowlands. [/quote]

Again, it makes for a poor consumer experience and as what Blizzard calls “trying something different”, is highly indicative of the approach we will see in the future. It really isn’t different. It’s a re-skin of the Azerite gear progression system with elements of Reforging added and, at best, inherits all of the problems of both.

1 Like

Good thing this system is only going to be around for 8.3, what a mess.

Why are they not looking into Infinite Stars? One corruption should not account for 20-30% of some one’s total DPS during a encounter, you can not even do your rotation properly and STILL out DPS someone who has higher item level AND does their rotation, all because of one corruption ability.

Myself, I have only cleansed one piece of corrupted gear but yeah Blizzard should give people who removed corruption the option to get those corruptions back on their gear after the final tuning numbers are out, that’s just not cool to pull the rug from under us without any warning.

Corruption is already annoying to deal with, in terms of getting the right rolls and dealing with the mechanics at high corruption levels (even if you are at the highest rank cloak at the time and have one of the new essences equipped for the bonus resistance), now Blizzard has to make it even more troublesome by making changes to the system that many of us spend time to get the right rolls/etc.

So…what’s the point of even trying to get the gear at this point if all they are going to do is make last minute changes and not communicate with their player base until AFTER they made the decision?

1 Like

This is amazing. Buff the boring AF corruption and nerf the fun out of the cool ones… Sounds solid.

2 Likes

What a mess!! Blizzard you are going down and way down. I guarantee you Blizzard will fire more people this year. Keep hotfixing this game while you can, and you will lose you job in next couple of month.

Keep doing what you doing now WOW team, will see you guys in job fair later…oh by the way, you should already know the reason why you got turn down after the interview.

2 Likes

So much for doing dailies in any reasonable period of time.

This wouldn’t be so bad if you actually paired this with a round of class balancing.

Unfortunately, you’ve been relying on overpowered essences, and now corruption, to wallpaper over the huge disparities in class & spec performance this expansion.

And now you’re tearing off the wallpaper without refinishing what’s underneath. That’s gonna be pretty ugly.

5 Likes

You don’t have to cleanse. I have multiple pieces for slots, some corrupted, some uncorrupted.

Again : choices and agency in building sets and playing with them based on the situation you’re going into.

This is what you guys wanted.

Why not start balancing classes now before the prepatch lands and strips everything away?

It is like they are working on WoW as if it is a stand alone game and not a continuous MMORPG experience. So strange.

1 Like

its like you tested this stuff right, on all specs vs each other and determined what did better than others by quite a margin… clearly great quality testing! Infinite nerfs for infinite void!

First, There is nothing wrong with corruptions other than its been THREE WEEKS so it hasn’t been long enough for the over all community to get enough of it out there. It’s like a new iPhone. At the start not everyone has it but everyone wants it then after a month or 2 it’s not as impressive because everyone has it.

In a few more weeks as more and more corrupted gear hits the market so to speak some of the op effects won’t be such a big deal since more and more people will be getting them.

Second, why are people finding this system hard? If you have 47 corruption resistance and 3 peices of gear with 50 corruption you have to, and I know this is hard, make a choice what to wear based on how comfortable you are at what corruption lvl to best play your class/spec. I have 2 50 corruption pieces shelved for now. and will add more in the coming weeks as we get more resistance.

No it’s not.

3 Likes

I dont think ive ever commented on the official forums but this nerf really will hurt me. I scrapped all my corruption gear that could have replaced my echoing void. I guess I shouldn’t trust blizzard balance so it is probably my fault, I should have known that they would do this DansGame. Atleast lessen the over all corruption it gives.

2 Likes

Changes don’t matter. We’ll all find what sims best and stack it. You might want to adjust the corruption these items have as well cause no one will use them if they end up trash. Next week everyone’s goal will just be to stack 6-7 pieces of gear with gushing wounds.

Best part about Blizzard balance passes is they like to use a meat cleaver when a scalpel is required.