Continued Diversity & Representation in Customization

And your argument is that black and brown people existing hurts your immersion? :woozy_face:

That is what you’ve been arguing now w several people?

Despite it being pointed out to you that your stance isn’t accurate the devs have spoken on the issue of implementing representation and diverse options on the human skin toned races already.

4 Likes

As has been explained at length to you, no immersion is being broken unless you are only working off of your own preconceived notions that have no basis in lore or story.

There’s been darker skin tones for humans since vanilla as it happens. … All blizzard did was expand them…

Everything I have discussed has made sense within the context of the lore and story.

I think you expect me to be a different kind of person.

Further I don’t see how a story driven character narrative is similar to the open ended broad strokes nature of character creation within an MMORPG.

They’re two different types of game and no I wouldn’t really mind the option in Tomb Raider.

Much as I personally enjoy that game, at least the more recent ones, I’m all for alternative narrative characters for its protagonist. That could be quite interesting though I imagine complicated for that style of game to get particularly right. I digress…

I said I join many voices. I did not say all.

You seem to draw a lot from what you read but often fail to read it, this isn’t the first time you’ve done so in this thread alone.

Okey.

3 Likes

Seriously, if added skintones kills your immersion above anything else, you should probably be asking why. It’s a game where people can turn into dragons, time travel, space travel etc, but people of color is where you draw the line?

4 Likes

My god I love the Mute thread option…it’s like they no longer exist.

I wasn’t sure what this meant?

I wanted to add on to this just a bit because I see people trying to use the excuse that Blizzard needs to do things in a way that doesn’t feel like a “quick marketing tactic”-

For the record all the customization in SL was a marketing tactic. Why are we drawing the line now at allowing better representation to be facilitated?

Like this- should not impede progress.

The goal for Blizzard to do a good job and handle things well is valid, but not at the detriment of getting something done.

It’s the same way I view LGBTQ+ stories, so I want them well written, yes. But are straight stories at times mediocre? Tyrande and Malfurion are no well written love story but they still exist. Not every story has to be held to some standard in order to be done or told, the pursuit for better more dedicated work is a separate argument from the initial beginnings of something.

If options that see white representation have always been here and need no dedication and justification, black and brown people are also allowed to exist.

What does dedication from blizzard look like to you? And that to me regardless doesn’t mean we should wait for options to better facilitate representation in the mean time.

I would also point out that this is a bit of what this thread is intended to do, to seek better options from Blizzard.

4 Likes

I don’t think there is a person that thinks the Mal and Tyrande story should ever have existed. Same with Jana and the dragon or Jana and Thrall. Love stories just should exist in these kinds of games.

This is where the problem sometimes shows up. I am Slavic. If you live in the US, to you I am white. To the rest of the world I am as white as a white hispanic in the US is to US people. Yeah the skin tone may be there but that’s about it. That’s why context matters. That’s why regional bias matters.

Most are not saying other skin tone options shouldn’t exist but that is only one facet of seeing oneself in a game. Body sliders? Arm length? Non British style faces? Amount of hair on bodies? This doesn’t even get into things like what about light skinned Orcs (not just green or brown)

I mean my hair is dark drown, almost black but my beard has been red / light brown most of my life but now also has a lot of grey in it.

I could argue and ask for a lot of things but you know what? My favorite races don’t even look human (this guy was originally a dwarf and was made a human of the rep bonuses). I prefer Tauren, Vulpera, Worgen, Pandas, Trolls and Orcs. Oh yeah and despite being a CIS male, I prefer female characters - and no it’s not a sexual thing. I just like cute characters instead of fierce. I prefer childlike over angsty

It’s only one aspect, yes, but it’s one of the easiest that could be added.

2 Likes

All you did was describe how a lot of people have issues w understanding the difference between race, ethnicity, and nationality.

You can be white and Latin American. Both things can be true.

2 Likes

But again, as we try to say we are all for diversity and inclusion, we really only mean skin color.

First of all

This is what you said.

To which I replied

Because what you’re saying is a universal problem isn’t. What you described was either yourself or someone else not knowing the difference between race and ethnicity. And that’s not my problem? It’s not a problem I have. So it’s not “the” problem because it’s not universal, and there are ways to educate yourself on the topic now that you know there is a difference between race and ethnicity.

As a brown person of color options to represent that on the human skin toned races are hard to come by compared to options for white people that include hair and skin tone options.

So yes like my OP includes

More skin tone options, are being requested. :hugs:

As are hair styles.

4 Likes

I was all ready to get my hackles up at this thread as I do with most of the woke topics on these forums. Can’t say that I disagree with anything though. More customization is always good. Skin tones, facial features, body types, etc.

And seeing what we can do with Dracthyr we know Blizz can add so much more diversity if they really want to. Come on, Blizz! As long as we don’t see any BS about “appropriation” based on skin color/hair style choices or anything like that!

(I agree with what woke used to mean but what it’s turned into now is just a disaster!)

1 Like

I am very well versed in the difference between race and ethnicity. I am understand there are various skin tones available within each racial group.

My point still stands, when most say diversity and representation, they ONLY mean skin color. They want various skin colors as that seems to be the only way they different peoples. I myself just don’t. My family pointed out my ex’s skin color as she was NA - where I never even had thought about it. Sure I knew her status, but again, I never thought about it. hated it(jokingly) later when I would burn while she could use accelerator without a thought but that’s besides the point.

IMHO I don’t see skin color race unless those my circle bring it up themselves. My last ex was frequently assumed to be a light skinned African American by OTHER African Americans though she was NA as well. Never thought about it. I just don’t think that way

Then why did you say it was a problem? It either is something you have difficulty understanding the difference of or don’t

Being as you said this I’m thinking you still aren’t quite there because you can be Latin American and white.

So if there is a problem understanding that all I have seen is it coming from your end as you began this particular side conversation.

So it’s not a problem I have. And you’re claiming it’s not a problem you have. So how is it “the problem” . You mean for people who didn’t know there was a difference between race and ethnicity? If they’re reading this thread they do now so I suppose I helped facilitate that learning for them on their end by engaging w you in this.

I’m still not quite sure if it’s not something you don’t understand why you brought it up as a problem you have. But either way I think the points been made, more skin tone options and hair styles from Blizzard to better facilitate something they started already in SL.

1 Like

Who is arguing against diverse options aside from skin color? Bring on hair, facial features, body options if sliders aren’t feasible. I want tons of customizations personally. If I could even spend as long as I do on dracthyr customization on other races that would be a good start.

Like I said before, skintones are one of the easiest to add though.

5 Likes

You are misreading what I am saying the problem is. You are jumping to the conclusion where you THINK I am saying adding additional colors is a problem. IF you can quote where I said that, please show me it has never been my intent. My problem with the idea of diversity is that is ONLY seems to include skin color, not that skins colors have been added.

Have I said they can’t be the same? I believe I used the comment in the context like you can be Slavic and white or Hispanic and white, yet still not be seen by OTHERS as white (adding now for YOUR understanding) because of ethnicity

Never said anyone was arguing AGAINST that, it’s just no one else is arguing for it (or I haven’t seen it). I have said again and again I have never seen anyone like myself in WoW - yet WoW is doing nothing to represent ME. Sure they will add skin colors on humans only, they will change to body types, but for me? well, you are basically white even if you don’t identify with that assessment, deal with it.

My skin color isn’t my identity, nor is my sexuality. Can I get something else that makes me feel like “I” am represented? or is it too much to ask that I be included as well?

1 Like

Well make a thread or make your requests here. What would you like to see?

2 Likes

You missed the hair style options that are important as well?

And tbh yes I view skin tone options as a major issue. On BEs we have 14 not counting the undead one recently given to all elves save Nightborne. Of the 14 10 are shades of white, brown and black skin tone options have nuance as well, and should equal the nuance given to the first ten as well giving each category ten.

That does help facilitate better representation. It also helps facilitate just giving everyone more options because I think it should apply to all the human skin toned races, Kul Tirans only have 6 options for skin tones isn’t acceptable they’re humans.

I think the disconnect is instead of just making recommendations you’re making long monologues about how skin color options don’t matter, so it is being seen at least on my end as disagreement from a weird place.

Can’t we acknowledge that the options being talked about are important regardless of personal importance to you? While at the same time you could be listing options you would like to see?

I haven’t read every post of yours just the ones where we’ve spoken rn but I don’t really know what it is you do want requested. So you inserting your stance that skin tone options aren’t important for representation is a rather odd thing to say in the context of this thread then no?

3 Likes

To be honest, never understood the concept of needing to identify as something. However all these threads just go to point out that I have NEVER identified as anything other than just me. Never felt the urge to belong in a group.

Maybe if I can think of something later that I could say would be “me” I’ll add it. Right now all I can say is I see more of myself in races :

And from a looks perspective, I am nothing like them. Also, while I id’d I am Slavic, I don’t really identify as that either thought it’s what I have been told I am

I will say this. To some they are VERY important, but from my personal experience not to the ones they are supposed to be representing. It’s like the rich white kids complaining there are no African American characters, and the African American kids I know are going who cares? I want to be an orc or a Tauren. Anecdotal evidence sure, but in my world with the people I know who are mostly Non-white (I generally don’t get along with white folks) they don’t have these issues - and we talk frankly about a LOT of things.

1 Like

But within that neither you nor the people you know speak for people beyond themselves.

Their view also doesn’t negate the importance of representation even if they’re in the group that the representation is for.

I think within the context of the non human esque races the only real example I have which I’ve quoted a few times has been the Draenei art that I’ve seen. But outside of that there are convos to be had to facilitate better representation and options on the coded races in Azeroth as well, I however don’t quite know how to conduct those conversations other than voicing support for them and the options when they come up.

3 Likes