Content to remedy the intolerable Night Elf and Forsaken situations

I’m not, but Blizzard is using the Alliance to vilify the Horde in-game. Apologies if I didn’t make that clear.

I never said they should. Like I said, Tyrande has already given Thrall her condition: Sylvanas’ head.

Obviously there should be some conditions if this new armistice is supposed to hold out longer than a single expansion, but those conditions also have to be realistic enough that:

A) They can be met
B) More importantly, they can be met without undue or unnecessary humiliation, cruelty, etc.

Because otherwise, we will be seeing something on par with the return of Blackmoore’s internment camps, which would cause the Horde to be, as you put it,

… alright, this is a somewhat new point.

The War of the Thorns had a questline and multiple cinematics wrapped up in it - which were what gave that moment its context. Elegy and A Good War did not drive how most of the playerbase viewed the event - the quests and the cinematics did. (Especially when we go to consider that the quests appeared to contradict the quests, and explicitly did in cases like the defense of Astraanar)

I don’t think this can be done without taking the kill away from Tyrande, denying her her revenge (and people hated this the first time with Garrosh). The easy response might be “oh just make Tyrande and Thrall team up to stop her,” but then that doesn’t truly fulfill the promise he made. And even if people pretended it did, there’s still that issue Zahir brought up about how the survivors are still going to grow up wanting to inflict that same pain back on the horde.

I feel that narratively, the horde’s been screwed on this from the start and no good resolution is possible.

Idea: Let’s cut out the entire invasion of Lordaeron and leave only Sylvanas’ escape! Then you can blame the Horde for … I don’t know. Hmm.

Edit. Sorry, Tyrande said about Sylvanas’ head in what sense? What is “not feasible” or “I will sign”?

I am glad the nefpa is back, I was afraid I did too much damage to them. I never wanted them gone, I just wanted less night elf threads.

Well I guess, in the same vein blizzard is using the Horde to rile up the Alliance.

And I don’t think it’s very hard to squeeze in having the Horde help the Alliance for a change. A truly selfless and altruistic act, to show that they are capable of more than murder and self preservation. And no, I don’t consider it humiliating for the Horde to help the Alliance.

But will the Alliance accept such assistance? Will the Horde be furious with what it gives and still spit in the face?

That’s my point though, if you shown someone who never played WoW that cinematic, with no context, it’s hard to get them to care about why teldrassil is on fire, if they have no context on how the tragedy took place.

Yes visuals are more impactful, but only up to a certain point.It looses its impact when you have no context to frame it in. If that helps at all

I hope they go the "night elves learn soul magic from ardenweald and can put those killed in teldrassil into new bodies (not necessarily night elves, but fallen ancients or something like that etc, stone giants etc)

If given freely and with good intent, along with an explanation of why, I don’t see why the Alliance would refuse, or even less why the Horde would change their mind.

Oh yeah! Golems-Nelves! Class! And they will go to kill the Horde … Stop. Did the lights do the same thing before? Wisp - dead Nelf - becomes Ancient, no?

I think it is a problem for the Horde to be helping the Alliance, and it’s not just humiliating to them. They’re my faction rival - I don’t want them brutalizing me and then saying “there there, it’ll be better - look, I’ll help you fix the damage I caused”.

No, I am done with watching my playable race be infantilized and pitied. I don’t want the Horde to give them their lands back, I want the Night Elves to come back and take them. I want them to get up, dust themselves off and rebuild by themselves - not because the Horde felt bad and permitted it. The Horde also needs to exist for itself, and needs to be improved for its players - not for us.

@ Micah

Again, they would obtain that context from the quests, but not from the books. The books are experienced by a tiny fraction of the population, and again, they are overwhelmed by the power of visual information. That’s why what goes in the quests matters a lot more than anything Elegy and A Good War presented. That’s why people feel like the Night Elves got curbstomped as opposed to putting up the kind of defense that the books presented. That’s why people think that the majority of the race is gone even though Elegy contradicts that. The books may be canon, but they’re not believed or remembered as much as the quests and the cinematic were - because those were a) more accessible, and b) presented visually.

1 Like

Nuances? Nuances and Blizzard are two words today that just don’t go together, no matter how hard you try.

I imagine it detracts from the alliance’s autonomy in their own story if they’re shown receiving horde aid instead of a more empowering plotline where they rebuild themselves. And I also feel that you’d still overwhelmingly get people interpreting it as the horde only doing it so they can dodge REAL consequences, because the precedent was already set by the racial leaders waiting until the last possible second to split.

2 Likes

Alliance. But will the Elves accept such help? They crave blood and peace. Or at least I’m resting. But Tyrande is the head, he will refuse help. And he will spit, because he does not trust the Horde. What will the Horde do? Will he endure? “She shows us weak!”

Edit. Somewhere I saw reasoning that the Horde is suffering and winning together, and the Alliance is more interested in the victories of the selected Alliance race, and not the Alliance itself (read: human).

1 Like

If the lore in Elegy contradicts what’s shown in game, regardless of how someone may personally feel about it, it’s still going to be part of the discussion

…but isn’t that exactly what Blizzard has done with the Horde both times the Horde Warchief got turned into a third-party villain…? :thinking:

1 Like

But less important than what we see in-game.

There the Horde defeated the Horde with the help of the Alliance. And the Horde always recovered like separated mucus, only the brain cell was changed for another.

To your edit - as Wreave put it on Scrolls of Lore: “The Night Elves are the bumper to the Alliance’s car”. We get smashed up for the benefit of the rest of the faction.

@ Micah

Audience believability is the more important piece of the discussion. The point of a story in the first place is to get people to feel a certain way, which means that the use of the more effective tools in the toolbox deserves more weight than you’re giving it.