Content to remedy the intolerable Night Elf and Forsaken situations

Well, it could be combining that with the whole punishment for sin theme. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I admit, there was a time, many moons ago when I did justify what Sylvanas had done. I had a 500 post arguement about it once during Cata. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

That is, IF he admits to anything. And he started massacrating people waaay before touching Frostmourne, so…

Calia´s presence would be poiintless unless devs are gonna touch the “Arthas” issue… and I don´t hold hope in her making any semi intelligent remark when confronting him if things come to this.

1 Like

Calia: Brother! You’ve been a bad boy!

Arthas: Sorry? For the Light?

Calia: By the Light! He’s been saved! :smiley:

1 Like

Yup, something like this seem accurate if we take into account all her “brilliant” remarks so far…

2 Likes

The Burning of Teldrassil really makes this clear.

It was in a cutscene. There was no player agency, whatsoever. This was particularly shocking because until then the player was given unprecedented agency in determining through both story and world quests how honorable or brutal the war would be.

Then, nope, never-mind. Is your character an Argent Crusader who just worked with a bunch of Elune Priestesses in the Conclave? Too bad. He sat and did nothing while they firebombed a unguarded population center for no reason at all.

I honestly kept hoping it would actually somehow make sense. That Slyvanas’s actions that day somehow prevented an even greater calamity. But nah, she just made a pact with Satan to kill as many people as possible. As I’ve said before, that would be a lame origin for an 80s slasher monster. It being the motivation for not just a player faction leader but the last OG Horde leader still standing was insulting.

I don’t think that story would make for a good movie or book or finger puppet show. But in a game it was especially awful, as you spent months and months and months still having to tacitly support Slyvanas while being very occasionally given story quests were you mildly subverted her. So mild are these subversions that you do most of the same quests as a Banshee Loyalists but undercover. That’s how inconsequentia it was.

What a joke of a narrative, and it’s amazing that of the hundreds of people Blizz fired none of them were the creatives in charge of BFA.

10 Likes

The whole thing was a disgusting mess. Sylvanas villian batted for no reason, the horde loosing more of its identity and its player base being told their irredeemable monsters for liking the faction.

3 Likes

And she’s not even the same character in SL. This is the same woman who indiscriminately murdered civilians, including her own people as they actively displayed their loyalty to her, and who’s knee jerk reaction to Derek Proudmore was to torture him until he obeyed.

And now she’s being awfully nice to Anduin and suggesting they don’t beat him into submission. The Jailor doesn’t seem to believe they have to. Maybe she’s playing some other RPG where a companion character gets a special attack if you convince them to join you with a speech check.

I have to assume so because I have zero idea why she’s considering his arguments when BFA Slyvanas probably would’ve ripped out his tongue by now.

10 Likes

They’re going to bring up how Lirath (Little Sun, by process of elimination) and Anduin (Little Lion, her nickname) are similar.

Shadowlands has a lot of parent/child and sibling themes.

But yes. Don’t make a lick of sense. None of it.

1 Like

As in the Three Sisters comic it’s shown she still has feels for her family, this makes a disturbing amount of sense.

2 Likes

Nah, Blizzard will retcon that so she was lying the whole time… in her own head.

:pancakes:

2 Likes

It also would have made a lot of sense if the old god famous for manipulation in a faction war expansion would have had something to do with the faction war. Or that little “greed shimmer” tease when Anduin and Sylvanas beheld azerite for the first time, given that azerite was the key to unlocking its prison when you spent the first half of the expansion using it to power up your necklace.

So it’s entirely possible that any Shadowlands connections can come and go as near-miss coincidences too.

2 Likes

Honestly Slyvanas feels like a character from a bad adaptation. Like in the source material her behavior made more sense because there were characters and subplots cut for time.

But this uh, is the source material. Christ why did anyone even entertain the notion this was a good franchise to make movies out of?

4 Likes

Technically, they didn’t.

They entertained the notion that the original Warcraft games was a good franchise to make movies out of.

Which is correct.

1 Like

Honestly I think OG Warcraft is pretty barebones. I’d argue that the Alliance and Horde became much more interesting during WoW.

I’ve seen Orcs and Humans fight. But oi’ govnuh werewolves and slavic Christian blue demons from Mars? That’s worth a watch. To say nothing of just Belves working with Orcs. Or a Forsaken and Tauren.

Concepts brilliant. Execution needs a chaperone when using the restroom.

I mean, I’d say that’s largely because the story truly became more nuanced and interesting with Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, the events of which directly set up Vanilla WoW.

Exactly; see above.

Yup, again: Warcraft III, in this case, The Frozen Throne specifically.

I hate to remind you of this but you represent the smallest slice imaginable of the WOW population.

2 Likes

The Night Elves don’t have the lock on guerilla forest tactics. The Orcs used them to great effect against the Humans of the East Kingdoms.

Also, the cream of the Night Elf effectives was cooling their heels down in Silithus in the meantime and Saurfang had come up witha coordinated ambush strategy that the folks left behind had no reason to anticipate.

The so-called Home Field advantage means nothing when the forces aren’t at home.

4 Likes

?

The Sin’Dorei and Orcs did not work together in any WC RTS game. Them and the Kaldorei did but at that point Thrall was a Shaman and had already buddied up with the Tauren. Them pairing with Wood Elves isn’t that wild. Honestly the Alliance is the biggest odd man out at Mount Hyjal. They’re the only one who don’t ride apex predators or use ghosts.

And the Sin’Dorei are an Alliance feeling race. That’s why their addition to the Horde was brilliant. The people who’s whole city is 60% ivory towers befriending the Orcs, a synonym for barbaric savagery, is at least unique. Where else do you see that?

You also never see the armies of undead being, to a man, actually sapient people. You might get an army of zombies and skeletons being led by necromancers or vampires who have personalities. Or at most a setting where there are undead with personalities but they’re rare enough to hide their nature.

You don’t get “There is a nation of the living dead, and a large portion of them are just blue collar workers”. In no other setting I’ve seen could the skeleton spearman conceivably unionize to demand better flesh rations.

Ridiculous ish like that is why I love this setting. It is at its best when it is portraying a world that’s a quirky subversion of fantasy tropes. It is at it’s worst when it is a soap opera exclusively populated by fantasy tropes.

2 Likes

For the most part the story of Middle Earth’s Elves is that of the fall of one kingdom after another.

2 Likes