Content to remedy the intolerable Night Elf and Forsaken situations

Plenty of people aren’t the majority. The majority don’t have the same view point us lore nerds like us on a story forum do because they don’t read Elegy and A Good War.

Elegy and A Good War are a much better presentation of the Kaldorei defending their home than the pre-patch event was.

But next to no one reads the extra texts like we do. They only have the presentation of the pre-patch event. That’s what’s being railed against. And the response is “Lmao you’re saying the books aren’t canon”

I give my syrup coins to the Pancake Mob Boss every week. :pancakes: :gift_heart:

1 Like

So, using the only appropriate response to what’s essentially the “‘Everyone Does It’ Fallacy”:

• Who is “the majority”?
  • Who are “they”?
  • Most importantly, how many is “the majority”? Can you provide an accurate number, statistic, or percentage that’s been proven beyond all doubt?

You’re entitled to your own opinion, but let’s be clear that that’s what this is.

So this is another generalization that I’m willing to bet you have no way of quantifying—it’s certainly in danger of becoming a “Us vs. Them” argument, if it isn’t already.

Oh wait…

So, who are “they” again?

I’ve tried to find exact numbers. But for some reason I can’t even find number copies sold for Shadow’s Rising.

But it’s pretty clear that “The majority” is the general audience. Who aren’t lore nerds. If they were the Story Forum would be more active than General Discussion.

Thank you for at least being honest.

Except it’s not. You literally just admitted to this.

Considering the sheer amount of threads that center all around the same exact issue—the status/future of the factions post-BfA—I’m going to say that there are plenty of lore nerds out there already.

See: the sheer number of posts reaching into the 1,000 - 2,000 range, in both this topic as well as the other.

If you go through those 1,000-2,000 post threads you’ll find it’s the same 9-10 people posting. And I’m being generous with that number. I’m willing to be it’s closer to 6-7 people.

Ok, but that in itself still isn’t evidence that people don’t read the novels or don’t care about lore.

People not going on the Forums to post is proof that…people don’t go onto the Forums to post.

Which is why I’ve tried to find records of how many copies of the books have been sold. But apparently they’re just as afraid to post those as they are their sub count.

I’m shocked that the majority of the Casuals, Competitive PVEers, and Competitive PVPers don’t care about the lore regardless of whether they’re shown or told.

Shocked!

3 Likes

I mean…how dare they right? The nerve man, the sheer nerve :gift_heart:

2 Likes

Killing someone who wants to die isn’t a victory. It’s more like doing them a favor. That’s why his death was so unsatisfying. If instead he tried his damndest to stay alive, if he had some major mission that he absolutely had to acomplish, and we killed him before he succeded with that, then it would have been satisfying. I’d say the difference is self evident.

1 Like

I guess. I just imagine that if I was a night elf fan, having Blizzard BS some arbitrary nonsense post-expansion goal explicitly for him to fail would seem like dumb pandering. It’s hard for me not to see that scene in that light even now. :man_shrugging:

Maybe it would have been better off if he died in Darkshore, but having him go down and 1-Up’d seems equally cheap. But the alternative would be having a dead guy give a faction half of their world quests for half of an active expansion. The whole thing seems like a mess.

I don’t think it would be too far fetched to create a story where Sylvanas dumps him, and in order for him to return to her good graces he has to do something for her. Then he goes to the plaguelands to do that, gets attacked by adventurers, and dies to Tyrande. Nothing really changes except his own motivation, so that for once in his life he truly knows that he is screwed, and no ammount of snark can keep him from feeling that regret and dread.
Just how I would have done it.

2 Likes

Even then, I feel it’d be out of character for him to show it to anybody. I feel like you’d need some kind of posthumous letter or something to say it after the fact.

Sure. Anything is better than him basically commiting suicide by adventurers and Tyrande.

1 Like

That’s not who Nathanos was, in life or in death. He always had that smug I’m better than you and I know it attitude. I don’t think that’s something he would’ve done.

Pretty much the one and only time we’ve seen him drop his guard has been in Sylvanas’ presence.

That’s why I feel like it would’ve made more sense if we had seen him lose her favor, considering his utter failure to kill Bwonsamdi in Shadows Rising.

2 Likes

Yeah, honestly I think even a letter is weird. It just seems like the least out-of-character way for him to express any emotion whatsoever aside from snark.

Ultimately I just can’t wrap my head around “well he wanted to die so it doesn’t count.” That’s a kind of anti-redemption logic that wraps back around to being unable to get revenge on someone for anything they do.

3 Likes

What do you think is more satisfying? To kill someone who has no reason left to live, or to kill someone who have no reason to die? To kill someone who has acomplished what they set out to, or to kill someone who has almost, but not quite, achieved their goal?

That is satisfaction. To utterly thwart someone’s plans, and to then kill them, knowing that 30 minutes ago they hadn’t even thought of the possibility that they could die. To bring them crashing from the soaring heights to the depths of hell itself.

I hope I made my point clear.

1 Like

No, I get it. I just think it’s weird that anyone had enough hope left in the story to still find enjoyment out of it, given everything that lead up to it in the first place.

1 Like