Considering trying RP. Please, help with initial two questions

I’ve heard that Moon Guard is Alliance heavy, while Wyrmrest Accord is Horde heavy–though each has a devoted, minority faction presence. I also heard that MG centers more around individual RP in major cities, while WA is more guild- and PvE-focused. (My info. source is Gavinrad the Bookish on YouTube, FWIW.)

I’d be more comfortable trying RP as a Human, to start; but the idea of doing guild-focused PvE and events–vs. RP’s mostly in major cities–seems more enticing. (I long have played more as Horde than Alliance but enjoy both factions.)

What realm would you recommend for my situation? And might WA be a good fit for an Alliance char–i.e., if there also is a heavier guild presence for Alliance on WA?

I welcome any/ all advice! (More questions are likely to follow; so, I beg your patience.)

1 Like

Welcome to the world of RP! I hope you have fun with it no matter where you end up. To answer your questions to the best of my ability:

The tilt between individual RP and guild RP does exist, but it’s less significant than you might be envisioning - there are organized Alliance guilds on both WrA and MG, and many of them have BNet channels to double up with their presence. The primary driving thing between the two is that MG is almost ALWAYS crowded in the RP hotspots, while WrA will sometimes have some real downtimes.

Now, this can be a double-edged sword. More people is good, but it can also be a little overwhelming with the chatter. Sometimes, it’s hard to track the scroll, and you don’t really get that intimate cozy, tavern feel if the place is packed wall to wall. My recommendation to you would be to make an alt on both WrA and MG and check out the Blue Recluse in SW during the hours that you’re most likely going to be able to play. You don’t need to RP, just scope it out. If you can say to yourself “Yeah, I’ll be comfortable in this level of activity,” then that might be the option for you.

As for the guilds, as I mentioned, there’s plenty of guilds on both sides. RPers can sometimes be a little shy about actually inviting people to join them, though, so make sure that your RP addon has it listed that you’re looking for one to engage with. (Also, as a general rule, don’t join an RP guild with expectations of doing crazy endgame content. It just isn’t much of a priority for them. Not to say there aren’t a few that get into it, but time limitations sink in.)

For what it’s worth, I main on MG, and find not only the RP spots usually filled, but a fair amount of walkup RP while questing. Sometimes, though, I just need to chill out for a bit and I’ll hop to WrA. RPers in general aren’t really bothered by your level or your gear, so there’s no real reason you couldn’t just make the same character on both servers, maybe give them enough attention to have some flight speed, and just fish for RP like that. (And you can always party up with BNet friends if you want to hang out with a Moon Guard friend on WrA, for example.)

Anyways, that was a little rambly because it’s very late right now, but I hope that helped!

3 Likes

Thank you so much for offering a warm welcome and providing great info.–especially when it was late and you likely were tired. I really appreciate it.

If you happen to see this post, I’ve three more questions. (Any RP’er, feel free to respond, if you feel so inclined; any/ all info. would be to my benefit.)

1. When RP’ers talk over Disco, do they usually remain in character or not? (I’d prefer to speak as I normally do. Call me chicken. :laughing:)

2. If I check out the RP scene prior to installing TRP3 and someone were to begin speaking to me, how might I respond OOC (to say that I’m not prepared to RP just yet)? Would I type something like, “/OOC ‘I’m here to see if the RP scene is a fit for me; I’m not ready to engage in RP just yet and don’t have the TRP3 addon.’”

3. Are there any other RP sources–besides Gavinrad the Bookish–that you’d recommend, be they YouTube channels or books?

1 Like

The etiquette for OOC communication is:

1. Use private communication where possible. Whispers, party chat, etc. You can use /say if you’re addressing a whole group, but it’s best practice to avoid it.
  2. Put double parenthesis around what you’re saying. (( Like this! )) That’s the signal that you’re talking OOC.

Otherwise, the content of your message sounds good to me!

1 Like

Thank you for the helpful advice, Flecks. I especially appreciate learning about the double parentheses; I imagine that typing “/OOC” would get a bit old, as well as clutter up the chat.

Thanks again!

1 Like

WrA is a perfectly fine server for an Alliance character as long as crowded public RP areas aren’t a must-have for you. WrA does indeed have Alliance guilds, as well as a long-standing tradition of cross-faction RP. You also don’t need to find a guild right away in order to check things out and meet people; WrA features multiple public, scheduled RP events per week that you do not need to belong to a particular guild to attend.

If you decide to check out WrA, I recommend joining the Wyrmrest Community Project Discord server. You’ll find a lot of WrA’s events listed on their calendar, and you can network with other RPers there. WrA does have opportunities for walk-up RP, but it helps to be able to ask where people are and/or invite them to come to you.

All the WoW RP-related Discord servers I’ve ever been in have either been entirely OOC or had both OOC and IC text channels in them. I’ve never personally been in a guild Discord or other Discord community where people RPed in voice chat, though there may be some out there.

I don’t know anything to speak of about Moon Guard, but it seems like they have a guild RP and campaign RP presence as well. Nobody can really tell you which is ‘better’ for you personally, though – it’s a matter of personal preference and of what kind of personal experience you end up having. Bowd’s suggestion of making characters on both realms is a good one.

All will depend on just how crowded MG’s public RP areas are. I’m not against a lot of characters milling around and talking; still, I may feel a bit overwhelmed–but won’t know unless/ until I scope it out.

Thank you for backing what I’d heard on Gavinrad the Bookish’s YT channel: Alliance players happily exist on WrA (and Horde players on MG). If it turns out that I find MG too crowded/ busy, I think that I’d make both Alliance and Horde characters on WrA.

Thank you so much for this information; I might’ve never found it–or taken far too long to do so.

I’m considerably relieved to know this.

I definitely will investigate both realms. Who knows? Maybe I’ll wind up playing on both. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope you enjoy looking around!

In case you don’t know, while sharding is usually not active in the old world on RP servers, it is currently enabled in Stormwind and Orgrimmar on MG and WrA (and presumably the smaller RP realms as well). It was turned on for the Diablo Greedy Emissary event, and posts on the realm forum say it hasn’t yet been turned off. Hopefully it will be soon, but in the meantime, SW will probably look a lot emptier on MG than it ordinarily is.

I hear a lot of Alliance RPers on MG have moved to Duskwood (which is also where most unscheduled Alliance RP on WrA takes place) in the interim.

Many people do! I hope you find one or more places you enjoy.

1 Like

I’ve been following a post about this issue on the GD forum, though I’ve not finished reading it. I’ve been hoping that the situation was rectified during this past Tuesday’s reset. Still, it’s good to know that Duskwood is the go-to hangout for Alliance RP on WrA (and on MG, as needed).

I like the idea of having two realms to explore.

By chance, is there a good RP realm option–for both factions or either of them–besides MG and WrA? I ask in case I find MG too crowded/ overwhelming and WrA winds up not working out (though I doubt that’d be the case). I just wonder if there is at least one more RP realm option outside of those two that have a decent-sized, active population.

We’re generally better at staying in RP when we talk over Heavy Metal.

1 Like

Judging by the thread I was looking at from time to time on the Moon Guard forum, it sounds like it was indeed turned off this past Tuesday. Should be all as usual now, I assume!

I’m afraid I don’t know much about the state of other RP realms first-hand. If any of them do have communities, they are likely small, but that doesn’t mean they might not be active and enjoyable. It may be worth making threads on their specific realm forums and/or just making alts there to run around and see who you find.

1 Like

Your comment has earned you bonus points. :laughing:

Sound advice all around. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for putting up with my questions, everyone.