Connected Realms - A Primer

As people might have noticed, I’ve been pushing Connected Realms as a the solution for dead servers for a while now, and with the change to LFD this has become more important than ever.

But it’s also clear that people don’t understand the differentiation between Connected Realms and “Retail”, so I wanted to clarify a few things for people’s understanding, based on how Blizzard implemented stuff.

Connected Realms are not Cross Realm Zones or Sharding

This seems to be the biggest misconception. In Retail, players are on multiple shards within given zones, and all players in a zone are on the same set of shards regardless of server. The transition for ‘a player’ is seamless, but if someone follows another player across a zone boundary, they often see that player disappear, as the two players are separated into different shards as they cross. It’s somewhat jarring and grouping is used to ‘force’ people into the same shard. These Cross Realm Zones are ubiquitous and all servers except a few of the RP ones like Moonguard are affected by it.

Connected Realms are different in that they’re basically a server merge of multiple low population servers, and the connection is fixed and permanent. All players on any of the ‘home realms’ of a Connected Realm are always visible to each other all the time, no matter where they go (instances notwithstanding).

Connected Realms are a Server Merge by another name.

Back in the ‘early days’ people were crying out for server merges for dead servers. Many years went by, but they eventually relented, and during MoP and WoD, they implemented Connected Realms. The reason why they’d been avoiding ‘true merges’ is “Name Collision”. The issue being that if two people on the servers had the same name, there’d be a requirement to have one lose the name in favour of the other. The solution was to append the server name e.g. Elorael-Caelestrasz to the names of all people on the Connected Realm and keep the names ‘server unique’ only.

That’s why when you type a name into the mailbox, or shift click someone in chat on TBC Classic, it has their full name plus server, even though we’re all on the same server. It’s inherent in the system now for all players, even though they’ve concealed it a bit in Classic.

What’s the use?

This is where the connection to LFD comes in. Cross-Realm LFD isn’t a solution for dead realms, because you still can’t raid cross-realm, and servers already have a massive faction imbalance. Megaservers have arisen because of the network effect of having a critical mass of raiders available for your guild. However not everyone wants to move, or can afford to.

Therefore the solution for ‘dead realms’ is to merge the smaller ones into medium or large population Connected Realms, where it’s essentially one Realm, where everyone on the realm is visible to each other all the time, and the only way you know it’s a Connected Realm, is you log in through Server X and I log in through Server Y, and we have different server names appended to the end of our Character names.

Otherwise, Connected Realms is no different from our existing servers.

Expanding on this, a Realm-Locked LFD would be used to allow all the players on a Connected Realm to group with each other, without needing to use “cross-realm”. Cross-Realm LFD groups people who cannot otherwise play together outside and therefore there’s a social degredation. Cross-Realm LFD doesn’t fix the issues of dead realms because they can’t play together other than randomly grouped, but Connnected Realms at least gives it a better shot.

Mega-servers wouldn’t need to be linked, and while their faction balance would still be off, over time as people move to realms where the balance is better because it was intentionally merged that way, there might even be a shift back to more balanced factions. That’s mostly hopes, but it could happen.

2 Likes

Connected realms, CRZ, and sharding are all part of the same system. Sharding is already in play on many servers. If connected was implemented, you can bet CRZ is coming with it.

If I wanted to be on a higher pop server I would be.

I strongly support doing a server merge to help those playing on dead/low populated servers be able to enjoy the game. Preferably however the merge should just be a fully done one instead of a semi merge. The economy is among the biggest problems with dead servers and anything short of a merge wouldn’t fix it.

LFD on the other hand isn’t going to fix small server problems at all. It will make 5man faceroll content easier but wont help to fix the raiding/guilds/economy of the server. Sadly watch this thread die and be replaced by 50 LFD threads where they use small servers as a shield to get the system they want.

1 Like

100% these systems are independently implemented, and the idea “One implies the other” is wrong. Not only were they built over a period of years, but they exist independently of each other.

Care to try again?

In Patch 5.4, we’re looking to address this with a new feature called Connected Realms . Building on our existing cross-realm technology,

And what exactly do you think that cross realm technology was at the time?

Pro tip it wasn’t CRZ or sharding.

Regardless, it can be enabled independently. Connected Realms do not imply sharding. Reading the article itself following on from your quote:

…a Connected Realm is a set of two or more standard realms that have been permanently and seamless “linked.” These linked realms will behave as if they were one cohesive realm, meaning you’ll be able to join the same guilds, access a single Auction House, run the same Raids and Dungeons, and join other adventurers to complete quests.

Our goal with Connected Realms is to give players on lower-population realms more opportunities to group up, compete, and connect with other players to take on Azeroth’s bigger challenges. That sort of interaction is a big part of what makes World of Warcraft fun, and this feature will help us deliver that experience to even more players.

This is exactly what we want.

If that’s a pro-tip you can keep it.

It’s the same tech, they even told us that when they brought it in; it’s even in the link posted.

Q. Why implement this now?

A. Our cross-realm technology has continued to evolve since it was first developed for joining players in dungeons. It’s now at a point where we can create seamless worlds made up of multiple individual realms, and we think there are some really positive benefits to that.

LFD, LFR, CRZ, and Connected Realms are all part of the same system.

Sharding is already in play on the megas.

What some want. I was against it then and I’m against it now. I play on lower pop servers because I like lower pop servers.

The whole reason I stopped playing retail was there were no longer lower pop servers to play on. Everything was connected, our servers meant nothing anymore, and almost everyone was just another random who ended up on the same shard.

We all have our preferences and mine isn’t megaservers. If there was a way for us all to get what we were happy with I’d be all for it. I just don’t see a way.

Layering is. Which is not Sharding, or “By zone layers”.

Back in the day Moonguard didn’t get Connected, CRZ, or any sort of layering. RP servers may be “that way”.

My bad. That was a misunderstanding on my part. I always looked at them as synonymous.

Looked into it again. Layering is entire server, sharding is by zone. Same tech larger scale, but it is a difference. At the end of the day it’s population distribution.

Will use the correct term in the future.

Not entirely true. We had to fight like hell about it. They’re now just another server tag with the same system. Whole reason I’m on BSB this time around was hoping it would stay small.

In effect they’re “different degrees”. And I doubt we’ll ever get rid of Layering except for where it’s not required.

But Connected Realms (without any sort of CRZ) is our best bet of getting “Contiguous Servers” vs them introducing cross-realm layers. And while some do prefer small servers, and there should be an option for that, the majority name for those servers tends to be “Dead” which isn’t a good thing.

LFD/LFR/Connected realms/CRZ/Sharding etc… all do different things.

So if you want to say they have some of the technology that’s fine but the functionality is very different.

the player name you are responding to is “Bait” ignore the obvious troll

Realm connections are better than character migrations for the health of the game.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.