Confirmation on mouseovers in classic?

I used Clique to do exactly that just weeks after the addon was created back in Vanilla. I was using Clique during the TBC beta when it was adapted to the new “retail API” after the secure frames/functions were added. I think I know how it works and what the differences are.

4 Likes

At this point they’re just ignoring reality and choosing to believe their own misconceptions regarding what addons like Clique and Luna do.

Apparently keybinding+mouseover is the same as LazyHeal nowadays.

1 Like

I think he’s just fine with you objecting to the gameplay it enables.

What he, others, any myself are objecting to is how you are portraying mouseover macros. Both in regards to what they do, and what they could do in Vanilla.

That you’re wanting to espouse #nochanges while simultaneously going “Yes, this was possible in Vanilla, but I’d don’t like so #changethisplease” is bizarre and also offensive.

2 Likes

Does it though? mouseover works in both… focus doesn’t.

It doesn’t. But Shridevi<The Prime Meridian> Seems to think it does.

Fesz is in the same camp regarding /focus for that matter. Only in his case Blizzard did disable /focus in the beta, while @mouseover works fine.

Focus worked the same way in Vanilla as mouseover did. The only difference was the method of changing the value.

Here’s a detailed outline:

Whether or not you’re fine with it, the functionality described here existed in 1.12.

And therefore it will exist in Classic.

1 Like

My only concern with mouse over macros would be combo point users… My rogue doesn’t yet have the ability on beta (as I’m splitting my testing time leveling 3 toons simultaneously and the rogue is only 26) but I’ve heard reports that it’s possible to utilize mouse over to be able to blind a target without dropping cp on your main target. I’d imagine this same loop hole would also work with other advanced targeting functions like target of target, or focus (had focus not already been intentionally disabled).

Such functionality, if it’s true, would be a pretty substantial buff/change to rogues particularly, but also ferals in a non authentic way. I’m not sure it’s worth losing mouse over entirely for, however, and perhaps specific coding solutions might be needed for those two classes (again, if the reports where true, my rogue is close , but not quite high enough to test /confirm those reports personally, just yet)

1 Like

Several of the more abusive addons DO still exist in Retail to this day, they just cannot do many of the things they were doing in Vanilla. Decursive was actually broken during Vanilla’s run as I recall. Although I may be wrong, once Blizzard made it clear it wasn’t desired gameplay, and finding an acceptable alternative, I stopped using Decursive and switch over to using mouseovers instead.

As far as I remember in Vanilla, I could do this in the way you describe. I didn’t play my Rogue as much though so I could be mistaken. I definitely remember having mouseover macros on my rogue, with the Pick Pocket one being most prevalent in my mind.

I agree, that would be a huge change, hopefully Blizzard can address that issue by other means, as I’m guess there is a back-end thing going on there which is enabling that to happen. Likely a deliberate mechanic change made at some later point in retail that the Devs haven’t yet made it around to tracking down and working out a way to address (successfully) just yet.

To the best of my knowledge, this was already possible in Vanilla using macros/addons, it was just less widely known/available.

Well until/unless Blizzard decides to enlighten us, I guess we won’t know for sure. Although it never getting fixed would tend to be an indicator of its own.

I would say the argument is subjective.

Certainly does make for easier healing though.

People’s opinions of it don’t actually matter to the argument of whether it should be there or not (which is the topic). They can have opinions on how much they like it all they want though.

It was in Vanilla and should be in Classic.

Wasn’t the OP asking if the mouseover macros used in retail would work in classic ? And the answer was yes.

Yes, actually you’re right. The original topic was do they exist. It morphed slightly into whether they should.

Rogues can now use a mouseover blind and kick while no longer losing their combo points or auto attack time on a current time. Warriors can now shield bash/pummel without losing auto attack uptime on a target. It’s more than just healers.

That sure will make leveling easier …now you can actually fight 2 mobs at the same time.

Does anyone know if

/cast [@cursor]

macros work? I’m assuming they do but I’d like to know for sure.