Concept: Voidier Void Elves

Wow, very impressive. So nice to see someone requesting customizations that recognize and enhance their races uniqueness.

Have you sent the idea in to Blizzard yet?

1 Like

I really honestly love this. I would love for this to exist as an optional two forms type of thing, much like the Worgen, though Worgen are forced into their form. I was actually surprised when I learned Void Elves were just purple, having seen Aleria as a regular High Elf enter Void Form I was expecting Void Elves to be the same, with forced Void Form in PVE like Worgens.

1 Like

These look nice!

Someone made a custom mockup with them using eyes that resembled Azshara’s red eyes, and it looked amazing!

Can’t find that image right now, or I’d post here.

1 Like

I really love anything that’s out here for #voidgang.

Ǵ͖̤̰͈̠̥͎̙̟͚̤̦͎̮̹̯̠̝̕͜o҉̡̛҉̧̱̳̭̹̰̣̲͓͍̻̫̠̣ͅo̢͏̲̦̣̲͓͍̼͍̟̗̣̠̗̦̯d̸̛̛̜͓̤͔̣̹̝͉͔͙̙̭͕͜ ̡̨̘̜̜͍̺̯̹̞̀ẁ̶̷̷͉͈͚̞̘̫͕̟̤̦͈̗̜̺̞͔͙̥͓̀ǫ̲̼̞̘̺͡ͅr̵͔̮̫̜̮͔͉̦̮̞̫͉͢ͅk̢̜̙̻̞̫̪̀͘͡ͅ,̸̡̣̟̟̩̟̜̤̦͕̻̘̫̠͚̭̣͠͞͡ ̵̧͚͚̙̖̪̳͝͡f̴̵̵̱̯͉͉̪̞̤̲͘͘a̷̡̩̱͓̱͕̼̫͎̦̣̼̺̫͖͘͞m̘̺̖̘̭̦͎̝̱̫̦̹͢͢͜͡.̳͈̫̰̺͇͔͠ͅ

5 Likes

I’m impressed, much yes for those customizations.

1 Like

Is… is that a thing you can do? I just kinda throw it to the aether.

(Commentary): There’s a lot they could do. Honestly when I first saw Void Elves and the Heritage Armor, I didn’t know if the wings were part of them or just the cloak or something. The idea of them having wings was a bit cringe, though considering how many potential Allied Races could have wings I’ve since changed my mind on them. Rip those things off of the heritage armor and let Void Elves have a selection of voidy wings (including none), and give them a racial travel form like Levitate.

1 Like

I’d be happy if they were a cloak option like the tauren have for their big back totem. Not like cloaks are often used anyway, and it fills the same spot. (Also I wish Highmountain tauren got some of the new tauren options.)

(Commentary): I think making it part of their customization options would be neat. We could have the Naaru-like wings we see with the Heritage armor or a few variations of that, we could have a kind of Black Hole aura effect like the Warlock tier 4 set has, or we could have wings that are tentacle-like.

1 Like

Imagine how it would look with this helm though? The shadowed part and the skin itself are so dark that it’d only leave eyes left… then I’d need neon green facial hair just so the mustache and goatee could be seen XD.

Well don’t wear darkened helmets if you wanna see the face.

2 Likes

I want to see elves made out of cheese.

1 Like

It’s not so much that as it is that I wish Void Elves had an actual “green” hair color to choose from, what the selection list defines as a “green” is more of a blueish than anything, and purple just looks nearly identical to red or black. Plus just seeing eyes, a goatee, and a mustache popping out of a dark otherwise featureless face would just bee horrifying XD :jack_o_lantern: (something like gnome green hair)

IMO the exact same thing is true for blood elves. Blizz could’ve taken the mana vampire/fel tinged concept that they clearly were gearing belves for back in early TBC and run with it, with the belf model taking on a bit more of a sharp/jagged look.

I really want a true void look for the Void Elves. Blueberry just doesn’t cut it for me. If I could look like Alleria 100% of the time, might make one.

1 Like

Oh, also a friendly reminder that a Void Elf NPC, more specifically the Island Expedition Velf team leader has pitch black hair!

How the heck a hair texture is tailored just for a NPC that isn’t even important?

Nah, it’s pretty easy, just use a simple dot product/fresnel shader. They are cheap on instruction count as well. It’s literally just the normalized dot product of the surface normal and camera vector. If the surface normal is looking at the camera 100%, you get color A, if the normal is perpendicular to the camera vector, you get B. If it’s some percentage between the two, you get a blend of A and B. It’s super simple and you can even get fancier and add some kind of bias to make it more prominent on things like downward geometry or whatever you want. WoW isn’t hurting too badly in the realm of shader instruction counts on opaque meshes.

1 Like

The moment allied races get their customization updates, this is what I want to see.

Also more tentacles!

1 Like

Blood Elves were already well established by the time they were implemented. They weren’t fangly or monster-y at all - the design was already crystallized and a lot of people were looking forward specifically to that.

Also, a big part of the Blood Elves going to the Horde was to balance out the numbers. The faction divide was intensely lopsided at that point - far moreso than it has ever been. Giving the lumpy hunchback faction a classically pretty race was a big part of that effort.

In short, the Blood Elves were a known quantity, and a set expectation with goals behind their design. Void Elves? … They were a blank canvas.

Blizzard could have done anything with the Void Elves, made them anything, designed them as weird and radical as they want as there were no expectations of them. They weren’t an established, defined, or even expected race - they didn’t exist before Blizzard tried to foist them on the Alliance in lieu of the High Elves people had demanded since forever.

Except that might be why they were so lifeless and conservative with their design. Make them “normal” enough to say they may as well have given the Alliance High Elves and leave it at that. It didn’t work, because of course it wasn’t going to work, but the reasoning isn’t unthinkable.

1 Like

I meant more along the lines of they’d be a bit much visually, as no other race has similar visual effects. There’s “making them look unique” and “sticking out like a huge sore thumb”. I appreciate the technical answer regarding graphical capabilities, though.