Competitive WoW is slowly killing this game

MMORPG should not be an eSports-centered genre. Period.

Want to play something competitive? Go play Dota 2, or LoL, or Valorant, or Warzone, or CSGO or any other game that is build around competitiveness and professional play.

The fact that the entirety of WoW’s endgame is build around pushing keys and doing mythic raids is maniacal. There is 0 horizontal progression and absolutely nothing to do for a casual player. There’s a reason why most casuals have left the game - it hates them.

WoW forces you to be a hardcore player. Otherwise, you’re stuck waiting for months in between major patches. RPers are the only ones who still seem to find ways to enjoy the game and even they acknowledge that WoW is not nearly as RP-friendly as it could potentially be (FFXIV and SWTOR are perfect examples of how to implement RP mechanics in your game the right way)

The fact that abilities in this game are directly affected by how they perform on the competitive scene is humorous and sad at the same time. Now, do I have a solution? No. But here are some games that do.

Guild Wars 2 (horizontal progression done right)
FFXIV and SWTOR (RP and story done right)
Same 2 games + ESO and Wildstar (player housing done right)

128 Likes

I love GW2. Was actually playing it today. But I’m glad wow isn’t GW2. I like playing both, for different reasons.

13 Likes

Your opinion.

I also play those.

You mean its a system designed for players to improve their ability.

This is an oxymoron. Progression is to move forward. Horizontal movement in any system is purely stagnation.

Or casuals just don’t get it.

Kinda like your statement above. Go play one of those then.

14 Likes

Don’t say this, I just bought a $60 mouse and it won’t even get here until May!

10 Likes

I don’t do either of those and I’m playing end game content. It’s called public events and new end game zones. Open world players have their own upgrade path, too. Something we asked for.

Maybe for YOU. I’ve got plenty to do, thanks.

Citation needed.

I’m not forced into anything.

Citation needed.

10 Likes

I do agree that eSports are terrible for MMORPGs but that is my opinion and I know not everyone shares it.

Blizzard has been pushing out more casual based open world content throughout dragonflight. It’s been good stuff.

If this were true WoW Would have died like Wildstar. MMOs can’t survive without a casual playerbase. We’re what keeps the lights on.

It does not. People force themselves to be Hardcore players. For a myriad of different reasons.

I wouldn’t say FFXIV has better RP Mechanics. FFXIV tolerates its Roleplay community but they don’t really do much for them.

I didn’t expect you to.

Each of these games have unique elements to them. And while WoW can learn from them. It should not become them.

7 Likes

One of the great things about MMO’s, your journey ends when you want it to. You can pick goals to work at, and once you reach them decide if you want to keep going or take a break till something else comes around.

I’ll agree wow retail/classic feels limited in that regard; like there’s only 2 paths for PVE/PVP, where even a game like old school RuneScape has that figured out, and FF14.

If you think FF14/SWOTR are more worth your time, no harm in going there :v:t2:

I have a friend who just collects, it’s what makes them happy on wow. I have another who will push seasons hard, get AOTC then go roleplay until next season. And I have a friend who just enjoys leveling alts and professions/making gold.

What I’m trying to say is, your end game with wow can be anything you want it to be.

5 Likes

WoW should not feel forced to be one thing or another. We have a wide variety of people playing in a wide variety of ways. We’re going to have conflicts of interest and different subcultures that have trouble understanding each other, but I’m not a fan of any solutions that involve driving people out of the game.

Getting along with each other, even when we greatly differ, feels like an elemental part of the MMO experience to me.

10 Likes

I think its great that wow has continuous vertical progression. While I do enjoy horizontal games like ESO or GW2, I also grow bored with one particular build or character very quickly because your gear progression tops out so fast.

I think both are important, and there’s no reason games need to be one or the other. I think wow would benefit greatly from keeping its current seasonal progression, but adding more casual/fun/social aspects to the game as well. Because its also easy to lose interest in the game if even though maybe you enjoy m+ or raid or pvp, that’s not all you want to do in a mmo.

2 Likes

It’s like all those other games you name are less successful than wow.

5 Likes

None of this game is designed around esports. That’s just coping made by players who aren’t successful at the game.

The only esports in this game is mdi and awc which are done on separate servers.

Nah I’ll stick to WoW.

You mean like it’s always been? Like it’s always been harder content gives the best rewards?

I’m a casual mythic raider. There is plenty of progression for casual players.

All irrelevant games with irrelevant content.

3 Likes

This is only your “opinion”

There are all types of players that play this game and there should be content for different play styles, not just your “casual” play style. Actually, it kinda sounds like you’re the one who needs to find something else to play

Has absolutely nothing to do with WoW’s playerbase inhaling huge amounts of copium and suffering from a severe case of nostalgia…

5 Likes

Oh so all the playerbase is wrong for enjoying the game and you’re right. Got it.

6 Likes

where did you buy this mouse that it wont get there for two months?

4 Likes

To be fair, most of WoW’s playerbase has been playing since at least Legion, or way earlier. Most of the playerbase has the “sunken cost fallacy” thrown on them. I do this, too. As much as I enjoy my friends and guildies, I play literally because nothing else is actually better to me and I’ve spent over 7k+ USD into this game over basically 2 decades or 10k if you include the other 8 Accounts for RaF and things for them as well, so I’m not going anywhere really, not until Ashes of Creation comes out.

1 Like

Ignorance is bliss.
I’d love to be you, truly.

3 Likes

We got something in common I also love to be me.

6 Likes

WoW is more successful than all of these games.

WoW was also competitive in an era where all the competitive games you listed didn’t exist, apart from Counter Strike.

Mythic+ and mythic raiding is not the only WoW endgame, and it is not forced.

6 Likes

I manage to get around it by having a dozen alts to repeat stuff I like with.
Easy way to burn out, i guess…but it does keep me from needing to do end game crap I will hate.

4 Likes