Competitive elements have ruined the game

The issue is that you cant play what you want, and be successful at the same time.
In the case of lets say, an Unholy DK or Enhancement Shaman.

They are going to be forced to stop at a rating that doesnt reward relevant gear, unless they opt to play a different spec, and push higher. THIS is the issue. You cant play what you want to play, but are forced to play whatever is overpowered at the time. This design is a cancer that will slowly eliminate all diversity in the game.(It already has for the most part).

5 Likes

Competitive content is cool and has it’s place, but it has almost completely taken over and everything else had to take a back seat apparently. It’s not terrible marketing, tbh; know your market and cater to it. The internet is no longer a novelty and it seems like few online players are looking for a cooperative experience without any material gain.

The current camaraderie in most online games these days is one of status and rank. It’s not about helping Catsup get a new cape, it’s about “what can guild member 193 do to help me get my upgrade. And when I finally get all my upgrades, instead of helping newbie 654 get an upgrade, I’ll either quit until the next patch and/or complain on the forum about not enough content and progression.”

5 Likes

Almost? Have you been paying attention to GDQ, or ESA, or any of the other half dozen speed running groups around the world?

sadly no i haven’t :frowning:

but i know that it’s still a huge thing in the console (specifically nintendo game) world!

I don’t think you know what being forced really is. You’re silly.

Meta will always take over at a certain point. Look at any kind of competitive endeavor, it just happens.

If you don’t want to compete by enrolling in the meta then you don’t get the gear. That’s okay. Not everyone needs to have it. If you don’t want to be competitive, I don’t understand why you want competitive gear.

True meta does take over.
But when you use the Vanilla system(i would modify it a little), HWL/Grandmarshal.
You eliminate the high demand for meta.

You effectively make meta slaving optional.
Which is a massive plus. Especially in this genre.

Yes you do. You just don’t agree with it.

2 Likes

You want the High Warlord/Grand Marshal system back instead??

2 Likes

A modified itteration of it, yeah.

Or atleast an option to be graded on rating or commitment(HWL/GM system).
So that you take your preference, or whatever is more cohesive with the current viability of your favorite spec.

Say you’re a MW monk main. You love MW.
You would opt for the HWL/GM system.

Say you’re an Arms warrior.
You’ll probably opt for the rating system.

The HWL system is absolute cancer full of bracket controlling by a small group at the top.

You think these HWL teams are going to take a bad (not meta) spec? Why?

right but joining an m+ run doesn’t automatically make you an esport competitor so i’m not sure how it’s relevant here

i mean the OLD HWL/GM system man. Rating wasnt a thing, commitment and dedication was 100% of your progress.

1 Like

Hey man, if you want to reward a time commitment on that level I won’t knock it.

It’s way worse than just stopping at where meta takes over but yeah, I agree that kind of time commitment deserves reward.

Of course it’s relevant. This thread is about how competitive elements ruined WoW.

I don’t think people have fully grasped the fact that meta forming is completely out of anyone’s control and it’s going to happen regardless

You also will never stop any game from being competitive to some degree even if you don’t participate in that form of competitive game play

Metas form organically with any game that has some form of systems and different things going on, it’s completely unavoidable.

3 Likes

I feel like the player deserves a choice.

If your main spec is D tier in PvP, it isnt really fair that you need to hit 2100rating for ilvl226, and a S tier Arms Warrior has to do the same.

If your spec is currently bad, you deserve to opt into a commitment system over a rating system, so that you also get the ilvl226 gear that the stronger class/specs get.

1 Like

And yet, nothing about competitive content prevents people who play with friends/guild from getting done what they want to get done, regardless of any type of meta.

you get out of this game what you put into it.

stop pugging. but half the effort you put into complaining on the forums into the social aspect of the game. friends don’t care about the meta.

this.

8 Likes

I know, I play and enjoy classic.

Getting HWL is about account sharing, abandoning RL for 3 months to grind 16+ hours per day, and top bracket politics on “who’s turn it is” along with low level “pool parties” every week to artificially expand the bracket.

And the top running pre-mades for mass honor farming aren’t taking bad specs either.

2 Likes

It definitely needs modifications. Im mostly just trying to get the point across, that there should be a reward for commitment.

The guy who que’d 1000 random BG’s as Prot Warrior deserves ilvl226 just as much as the Arms Warrior who did 70 Arena’s to 2100.

2 Likes