Community Council discussion on Hunter design

Okay this is something I’ve waited YEARS for, and it recently came to my mind while I was Roleplaying. Why is there no Hawkstriders as a Hunter pet. I’m going to lay out how this could easily be added:

• Hawkstriders models and rigs are already in the game, there are mobs in Outlands that get off them when attacked and the Hawkstrider attacks you. So we know the rigs already work.
  • They don’t need they’re own subset of pets, just add them to the tallstrider classification, and use the tallstider abilities.
    -Copy and past the base mount (blood elves) level models in the game

This will show that the effort to giving the Blood Elf players a bit more while Blizz is already working the angle. And it will make the Blood Elf hunters happier, there are 3 animals Farstrider players like: Lynxs, Dragonhawks, and Hawkstriders. I’d love to see the trifecta completed.

3 Likes

Between this and dual wield I am losing interest in much else. They seem quite hell-bent on us being forced into a generic bomb build for aoe or a raptor strike spamming build for ST. Boring and unintuitive but at least let us dual wield (topic seems split between the community but no harm in letting us who wants it get it) and pick our pet spec. Such an easy change that has been in the game before and should not been removed. What function we get out of our pets should not lock us out of large parts of available pets. The pet family abilities are more than enough distinction between different pets, no need to also lock families to specs like cunning, tenacity or ferocity. That should be up to the hunter and what content he/she is about to do.

If I get these two things I am ok to live with a bland spec (it will be leaps and bounds better than the even more bland build we have currently with tier at least). The Survival tree has gotten better but is far from as good as most other trees and the class tree is ok-ish, still feel very lackluster as a Survival due to their complete failure to add anything else than ranged abilities/shots and some traps though…

Edit: Oh, and Kill command? Can kill command not be the single only ability we press outside of our damage ability due to pretty much all synergy in the spec being bound to KC? The survival rotation will to the vast majority of time be Bomb or Raptor strike/Mongoose bite and Kill command… Such good so depth.

2 Likes

Hey Watermist !

Thanks again for all you are doing for the Hunter community. If possible could ya mention on the Community Council page or the current Dev watched Hunter Feedback thread that there are several Beasts that aren’t tameable but should be?

These Cloud Serpents are generally shown as Friendly but maybe it’d be possible to do a /roar or /growl emit to make them neutral like we do with several of the Gryphons?

(Blue / Azure Cloud Serpent)

Windward Matriarch
Wild Cloudrunner
Windward Viper

(Yellow / Gold Cloud Serpent)

Windward Matriarch
Wild Cloudrunner
Windward Viper

(Green / Jade Cloud Serpent)

Windward Matriarch
Wild Cloudrunner
Windward Viper

And since Beavers will be added to the Rodent family would it be possible to see the Pandaren beavers added to the list of possible tames? They had really nice models. (Such a shame the electric one is just a Battle Pet, that would have been awesome)

Barbtail Beaver (Light Brown and Dark Brown)
Blueback Beaver (Blue)

That’s not what I’m denying. I’m saying they don’t replace baseline abilities with tradeoff/worse versions.

You’re trying to equate that to giving a rank 1 node by default to certain specs. That’s not the same thing (in any case Survival gets a different version of Kill Command to BM and MM so it’s still different*. Enhancement shaman doesn’t replace any ranged ability in the baseline tree with a melee one, nor does Feral. They should be able to design the base talent tree without having to think “how does this make sense for a melee spec”. To be fair, they haven’t done that but rather they make the baseline spec make sense for BM and MM only and make tweaks for it to at least work for SV, but the base tree should still be something that all three specs build on. Imagine if the first rank was Kill Command, Kill Shot, and Serpent Sting as a “taste” of each spec.

Yes because it’s melee. That’s very limiting when it comes to interrupts; especially a spec like SV that’s encouraged at many times to play at range e.g. in PvP. As it stands Raptor Strike, Carve, and Muzzle are the only things in the class that promote playing in melee. The rest of the class, including the rest of SV, is focused on range. So we shouldn’t keep treading on eggshells around those because “the distinction is important”. Clearly it isn’t anymore and it’s restricting SV’s design.

That’s a matter of broad/specific, not shallow/deep. Nothing about a ranged weapon identity means the class is shallow; it just means it has an immediately-recognisable central element like it did before, just like stealth and dual-wielding for Rogues or shapeshifting for Druids. Even SV itself now has more abilities based around ranged weapons than melee weapons so it’s not like the whole class identity is suddenly shallow if the last couple of melee attacks were now ranged. It just means we can once again say Hunters are the ranged weapon class; a unique and powerful trait that no other class shares.

There’s no loss in capability. BM gets Cobra Shot instead of Arcane Shot which is a functionally better instant cast dump (Arcane Shot of course sticks around in the spellbook rather pointlessly) and Steady Shot gets replaced by Barbed Shot which means it doesn’t need to cast to get the focus gain. Otherwise it keeps all the same capabilities including Counter Shot. So this is another item in a growing list of false equivalencies.

Yeah MoP class design may have been better if they had class-specific talents for more variety within a spec. I say “may” becuase they largely dropped the ball on that after Legion by applying less-than-minimum effort to the spec-specific talents leading most specs to narrow down to clear cookie-cutter options. But as a whole MoP class design was absolutely better than the current, especially for Hunters, and this is noted by many people in WoW discussions even at the cutting edge. The balance between strong baseline class identity with variety and distinction in spec choice was very good in that expansion. Legion largely tipped that balance and while we have recovered most of it since then there’s still the jarring outlier that is melee SV.

This isn’t to say that every single thing that happened after WoD was negative. I think BM has arrived at a good state especially considering the dungheap it was on Legion’s launch, and MM… at least has the potential to be good but they have fallen short for a while now. But the MoP design was better as a whole and this is speaking from recent experience.

You’re again assuming by default that a strong baseline class identity means no spec depth. We’ve already been over this so there’s not much to say that hasn’t already been said. We had depth in spec design in MoP too, and BM and MM right now fit the bill just like the did in MoP. A hypothetical modern ranged SV wouldn’t be a carbon copy of WoD. It would have its own new talents and mechanics just like the other specs got new ones going into Legion. The point is that we don’t need SV to be melee for that, and in fact SV being melee has brought far more tangible negatives than it has achieved anything positive.

No, it doesn’t, because as I said other specs don’t lose critical baseline capabilities when picking a spec. The key difference is the baseline Hunter uses a ranged weapon. No other class has a characteristic like that which so centralises ranged combat as an important foundation of the class.

Adding compensation for being melee on top doesn’t change the fact that Survival is losing that capability of being a full-fledged ranged attacker that the baseline class has. Shorter interrupt cooldowns or buffing the damage to stupid levels like they have in 9.2 doesn’t make the underlying design decision good.

Survival’s defensive capability is only just barely ahead of the other specs just by virtue of Spirit Bond (something once available to the other specs including ranged SV, mind you), and both BM and MM (barring 4 set) are far more mobile than the average ranged spec so this still doesn’t make the underlying melee decision a good one. They could double down on this approach but it’s a bad approach to begin with.

This would be preferable, but it would be better to have such a thing be part of BM and it should be tuned such that being ranged is still a competitive option. I say that because Final Fantasy 14 did something similar to their Bard class in their first expansion, only in that case it was a stance that basically turned the class into a “mage” with cast times and no auto attacks. They marketed that as optional too but the bonuses of the stance were tuned so high that the original Bard playstyle of a mobile ranged weapon user was completely unviable.

The problem is the concept of a melee Hunter in Warcraft is tightly coupled with the pet, and we already have a pet spec. I would rather not have SV trying to make its own pet-based approach and ultimately detracting from BM. It fits awkwardly alongside the “munitions expert” identity represented by things like Serpent Sting and Wildfire Bomb. Plus BM already has little focus on the ranged weapon so it would be a more natural transition, whereas they had to completely reinvent SV from scratch just to make it melee.

What do you mean by nuking our available direct damage in AoE? It was a baseline passive and alongside Improved Serpent Sting it meant we had very good immediate AoE damage. It’s true the spec didn’t have much burst AoE but back then that was a lot less important because we didn’t have M+ and there was less power tied up in cooldowns especially for SV. A modern SV could also have Wildfire Bomb or something like it.

Barbed Shot gives focus over time after an instant cast while Steady Shot requires a cast. Even barring the Frenzy mechanic that makes Barbed Shot a compelling alternate choice for a spec to take and it isn’t a loss in capability. It’s also worth noting that the baseline Steady Shot doesn’t grant focus: MM adds that as a spec-specific passive.

Survival “retains” Arcane Shot and Steady Shot but it can’t realistically use them because it has to use a melee weapon for the spec to work. Even Kill Shot nonsensically requires a melee weapon for SV. So really it’s the same end result as what we had in BFA, only it’s just a little less jarring once hitting level 10 and picking SV (although you still need to quickly replace the ranged weapon with a melee one).

Multi-Shot isn’t baseline. It’s given to BM and MM (same with Counter Shot and Concussive Shot) and MM’s version costs less focus. And of course SV can never realistically use either Arcane Shot or Steady Shot. You can equip a ranged weapon and go ahead but Blizzard makes sure the spec is heavily penalised for that. In fact Auto Shot has a hidden -50% damage aura for SV.

Most things were shared between specs back then. Especially for Hunters. However in the aforementioned balance between class capability and spec capability, Classic was far too centred around class capability. Back then the expectations for different specs in a pure DPS class were more in line with the expectations of differences between different talent builds today e.g. “go BM for solo content, MM for raid, SV for PvP”.

Yes you prefer an approach to class design that’s widely acknowledged to be significantly worse and damaging to the point where even Blizzard themselves walked much of it back in Shadowlands, simply because you’re fixated on the idea that the only way to achieve spec depth is by radically diverging from the baseline class identity like SV does.

[quote=“Tanais-kilrogg, post:822, topic:1268014, full:true”]
A balance is itself a contest of power. The more “balanced” identity is towards the base class, the less identity and attractors are available to that class, because you’ve now taken the sum of what was possible across n specs and merged it into a single bank of features.[/quote]

This is true, but I’m not saying the Classic design is better where everything is tied up in the baseline class. I’m saying the MoP design is better where we still have a strong baseline identity but each spec meaningfully builds on it to create distinct options.

Those examples of other classes aren’t losses in capability. No longer using a ranged weapon is a loss of capability. Enough with the habitual false equivalencies. Survival is not like any other specc. It works against its baseline class and it has done so with Legion despite Blizzard’s attempts to address it while preserving the melee aspect.

Because of the melee aspect it doesn’t feel like a Hunter to much of the class. This is why there has been so much resistance to it since Legion. Even if not everyone dedicates time to post about it like I do we can see the effects of it in game and many WoW commentators have also acknowledged it. A clear example of it exists even right now with Survival being tuned up to significantly overpowered performance; there are almost just as many BM players in M+ as SV. The difference in representation is less than 10% between arguably the best mythic+ spec and the worst. Compare this to Warlocks and the difference is stark. As Preach Gaming said in this clip, at least to many Hunters Survival does not feel like a Hunter spec.

2 Likes

And whether they do is still up to debate and appears in your case to stem from an inability to play melee.

Is an attack made worse for doing 177% more Attack Power and costing 25% less Focus than the version it replaces… just because it’s now melee?

Similarly, is an interrupt inherently better for having a 60% longer CD… just because it’s ranged?

Sorry, that latter question was rhetorical. I already realize you disagree with nearly all M+ players and a majority of PvPers on this count.

Just as, at present, even without any talents, MM’s and BM’s Steady Shot, Arcane Shot, and Multi-Shot are also all different.

No, that is also shallow if that’s where you choose to draw the boundaries. Rogues aren’t based solely on having Stealth. Druids aren’t based solely on having Shapeshift. Rogue has ranged actions available to it (first Throwing Knife as a utility-heavy finisher, then the various pistol attacks). Druid can play both ranged and melee.

Pets, Traps, and Aspects haven’t been mere tertiary tidbits of the class’s identity. They have always been central.

I have explicitly stated otherwise. Increased class depth does help.

My issue is with your idea that spec depth must be balanced against class features—i.e., that roughly half of every spec’s depth must come from their baseline.

That is objectively limiting. It’s asking that half of spec depth be Rank 1 crap, or, at best—even assuming that you throw myriad pieces from various specs into the class baseline—that the class in total, across all specs, provide far less freedom by which for players to pick both motif/theme and gameplay/playflow that they especially enjoy.

It rings no better than asking that Enhance and Feral shouldn’t exist, that Outlaw should have its ranged actions removed, that Fire shouldn’t get stuff like Flamestrike or Blast Wave “because they could just use Arcane Explosion and Frost Nova anyways”, etc. It’s unnecessarily limiting.

And as you just explicitly mentioned, that “loss of critical baseline capabilities” is solely:

1. Arcane Shot goes melee and does more than double damage and only 75% the Focus cost.
  2. Countershot goes melee and takes only 60% long to recharge.
  3. Concussive Shot goes melee and gets 250% duration.
  4. Steady Shot is locked out but Kill Command gets 15 Focus generation and a self-reset chance to compensate.

That’s it. That’s your “critical baseline capabilities” lost — significant net buffs.

First, I agree that…

That being said, I don’t know why you cling to this idea that all melee is, by classification, only ever going to be inferior on the whole (or, refuse to look at things in the one frame of reference that matters—what a given spec brings on the whole).

Had SV been sufficiently compensated, yes, it absolutely would have made up for the fact that it’d no longer be “a full-fledged Ranged”. That is precisely what sufficient compensation means.

The approach of melee having alternate advantages compensatory to their being melee?
???

Which, had they just not programmed it backward (locking you into the stance, like Cleric Stance, instead of applying a cooldown to entering it, like BotD or Enochian), would have been fine and precisely what was asked for by Bards tired of being charged 15+% of their dps relative to other ranged for hypermobility that was useless in most fights.

It allowed Bards further gameplay (stance-dancing and window optimization) while giving them a way to, at relatively low cost, trade otherwise excessive mobility for further damage.

As such, rather than being taxed for simply existing whilst being a hypermobile job, they were charged only to the extent they were stanced into it (or, in this case, avoided the new stance). And not by much.

This is yet another flagrant reduction at best.

First, it was a half-GCD cast time only, so you were still far more mobile than most ranged.

The damage bonus was originally so undertuned that no one used it outside of the opening 2 GCDs and, by the end of the expansion, you still stance-danced for optimal play because the stance’s empowered per-weaponskill damage prevented you from using auto-attacks (which hit for roughly two-thirds each of a filler GCD). If you had no oGCDs and only filler to press, the stance was a dps-loss because AAs were worth more than its 30% damage bonus on weaponskills.

Atop that, all procced attacks bypassed the added cast-time and you could always use cross-class actions to ignore the cast time. Feint, for instance, was spammable and only 4.6% effective potency lower than your unstanced mobile spam (Heavy Shot).

• A Bard main,
    • Because I, too, really like ranged weapon classes; I just don’t assume they’re somehow so inherently stronger on the whole than melee that no compensation could ever be reasonable and that Hunter should never be capable of both melee and ranged playstyles.

Only? No.

Do I believe, though, that it’s objectively less limiting for a spec’s depth not just to be its Rank 1 abilities? Yes.

Half is still pretty damn fettered. Sure, it’s not as bad as 85% of one’s Hunter gameplay just being from its shared roots, as per Classic, but it’s still, imo, painfully limiting.

I don’t want specs to simply be a matter of pick one of 2 CDs, pick one of 2 casted generators, a basically-passive or active DoT, one of 3 short-CD rotational attacks, and an AA-based, spammable-based, or CD-DoT-based proc chance for rotational attack resets. Those sorts of decisions should solely foundational, as they more nearly are now (with, further, some specs having, say, casted generators, some having CD-based generators, and some having no generators), rather than being nearly the whole of what a spec has to offer, as was the case before Legion.

I’ve been playing Hunter since Vanilla and was against forcing MSV.

That said, I wouldn’t have been against a fourth spec, and would have been okay with both BM and SV being allowed to go melee or ranged as they please. Moreover, even MSV did still feel like Hunter to me, but perhaps that’s because I also played other classes, both ranged and melee, and so what motifs and aspects of Hunter stood out as distinct to me had little to do just with its being ranged and instead had far more to do with Pets, Traps, Aspects, and its individual specs’ rotational qualities.

To briefly recap:

1. SV was not sufficiently compensated for going melee, largely because they couldn’t decide upon what degree they ultimately wanted to make it melee. At this point, only its spammable is melee, which is odd mostly because its spammable can be either the spec’s burst window or its filler damage—near-total opposites—depending on one’s build.

1. I did not like RSV being forced to MSV, but I absolutely did want to see a more complex and distinct RSV in WoD. If the then-existing RSV needed to be moved, it needed to split MM at its root to support its DoT/Procs playstyle, rather than the childs’ smears of RSV of disjointed RSV elements seen in Legion MM, or the melee addition should have created a 4th spec (be that Survival in BM/MM/SV/Pursuit or Munitions in BM/MM/SV/Munitions). Additionally, absorbing certain tier sets into the baseline would have gone a long way towards this, just as {creativity} might have gone a long way towards making RSV deeper and more distinct.

1. I am fine with there being melee playstyles of Hunter, just as I am for Shaman and Druid and some Ranged class’s skills forcing them briefly into melee to use utilities (or, say, Arcane Explosion). I like that those who want that sort of all-in, speedier, positionally-sensitive, and more vicious take on a hunter motif as provided by going melee can have it.
2 Likes

That’s what brought me back to Warcraft during the Legion era. I skipped all of Warlords of Draenor and was thinking of coming back. Ranged combat didn’t really appeal to me anymore. I didn’t really make alts at the time and the other melee classes didn’t appeal to me. I still wanted to be a hunter. So I latched on to the reworked MSV pretty quickly. Though I still remember how distinct RSV was. I’ve bounced between MM and RSV since 2.4 (Oddly enough I’ve never played BM) But have stuck to MSV since Legion. So the 4th spec idea is one I’m still open to.

When the talent trees were announced I was sure the developers would use this opportunity to revert Survival back to Ranged DPS only. But a part of me is happy melee hunter still exists as an option.

Sorry to intrude on your discussion again. I’ve been following the Hunter design closely this Alpha since feedback from the devs has been coming in on a regular basis. I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not suited for giving design advice or what not. I just felt like sharing some of my experiences and feeling.

3 Likes

It’s no intrusion. Good to hear from you. Don’t let Bepples and I hog what there is to be said about Hunter, melee or otherwise, Survival or otherwise.

I really enjoyed Survival back in MoP, and… for its time, at least… is was decently distinct, outside of certain tier bonuses it always felt a little… overly hesitant. It was neither a munitions specialist nor anything to do with guerilla tactics, and most of the actual APL and decision making I had on it, I could experience on other specs, too. The more I started to play every class, every spec, the more it felt like its main attractor was just visual.

But, again, that’s a typical experience, in that most won’t be as bad of alt-aholics as I was over the era.

For those who play a majority of specs the game has to offer, yeah, the constraints on specs of pre-Legion design is naturally going to feel more limiting. The difference between MM and RSV would have to stand up, too, to the differences between Sub and Assassination, Arcane and Fire, Afflict and Demo, etc.

For a Hunter-only player, on the other hand, there’s no frame of reference beyond X portion of one’s skills looking different or being hit at different times, which can be sufficient for apparent distinction.

Same. I just miss RSV and, more importantly, what I think RSV could have accomplished in a Legion+ way of building specs.

Yes, like MM (more instant-shots-focused or cast/channel-focused) and BM (more direct-/personal-damage-focused or zookeeper-focused), it would probably sub-divide to some degree, but that’s all the better, imo.

Unlike Bepples, I do think a (highly modified) MM tree could now support RSV, so long as we’re okay with occasional length tooltips on talent choices. But, a 4th spec would probably be better:

MM as completely Ranged.
SV as typically completely Ranged. (A Survivalist would only want to get close very rarely, for a specific momentary advantage.)
BM as choicefully/flexibly hybrid,
Pursuit as melee-as-mainstay, with the relative mobility of further ranged access essentially being utility opposite direct mobility.

Though, of course, could swap Pursuit to Survival and RSV to Munitions; I just like the idea of the sort of Dark Ranger build also being possible, and that’s seemed to me at least as RSV as MM.

Why has the alpha feedback thread gone silent for days now? They cant be satisfied with the current builds, theres still far to many flaws.

3 Likes

because it’s only been 2 days, and it’s the weekend ?
Plus there was a lot of feedback posted with little new to add.

Just saying, weekend hasn’t stopped it before, and roughly a dozen posts since the talents went live is hardly a lot of feedback. If anything traffic usually picks up on the weekends when people generally have more time to play.

When we get a blue post on friday with upcoming talent changes.

This didn’t happen.

One of my issue with that is your tree focus on Arrow left and right and also Pets left and right. There is no path the focus on 1 thing and the other something else

Not entirely sure what you mean here. Do you want the Beast Mastery tree to be divided so that one side focuses on ranged shots(your ranged weapon), and the other on pets?

If so, I could… kind of second that, sort of?

I wouldn’t mind there being more Barbed Shot generation on the right, Stomp on the left (still Barbed Shot related), or Cobra damage and basic Cobra interactions on the right side and more directly Kill-Command-related stuff on the left, etc.

That said, no two people are going to want to split the spec into quite the same halves or foci, and so much of BM crosses over anyways (as per Wild Call and Thrill of the Hunt vs. Qa’pla and Stomp, personal or pet, all from the same generator).

The suggested tree already does that? I’m probably not getting what you’re after :confused:

True.

In general, the BM spec hasn’t really focused much on ranged shots in a long time. It has had some partial focus ofc, mostly themed around bestial aspects in various ways. And if you look at the Hunter class as it is being developed in the alpha, any options for BM to focus more on non-pet related stuff, is found in the class tree, which is very much the intent.

…I literally missed that she was referring to yours instead of the Blizzard-original. My bad.

Yours already meets my desires there.

1 Like

I would :

Trade Wild Call with Training Expert
This One with the Pack with Killer Command
Thrill of the Hunt with Aspect of the Beast
A Murder of Crows / Bloodshed with Dire Beast
Call of the Wild with Dire Command
Dire Frenzy moved under Dire Command
and Wild Instincts / Bloody Frenzy with Dire Pack

So all or most Arrow related talent are on the middle/right side while the Kill command/pets are in the middle/Left side. Dont know if it make sense. Thats what I meant by having arrow on one side and pet on the other. Cause right now in your tree same thing as the tree they made. You start pet one side then drop arrow+ pet on the left and you do arrow+pet on top right + arrow/kill command reset on the bottom right. They kinda mixed anything together instead of having a clear path

Also I wish Blizz would bring the throwing weapon back. I’d love to have my Hunter throw NE Warglaive like W3 Sentinel instead of Arrows with a bow.

Or the old throwing knifes, or even throwing axes could be cool.

1 Like

Welp, I’m not happy with what I’m going to have to type…

Things got insane at work. I’m having a third IEP meeting this week (and a fourth meeting the very next day)! That’s in less than two weeks.

The situation happening right now at work is highly unusual and abnormal, and it’s taking up all of my focus and energy.

I hate leaving things unfinished, especially if I’m enjoying it.

But I’m forced to face this: right now, I simply do not have the time, nor energy, to give an in-depth post and feedback on the BM and SV trees.

(You guys have no idea how much I hate typing that. Urgh.)

I will, instead, focus on this: “miscellaneous” feedback (Lone Wolf, themeing in the SV tree, odd inconsistencies between the trees) and the class/spec design.

I’m really sorry, guys. I have a lot of information, but I’m just working at a snail’s pace on this — and ultimately, I decided that it’s just better for me to focus on 2 things instead of 4.

But man. I hate having to do that. :slightly_frowning_face:

11 Likes

As someone who’s been a longtime lurker and only recently started to speak up, just know that I am sure you have the quiet support from the community at large, and my explicit support as well. Real life should always be prioritized over our game world.

There’s still plenty of time left in the cycle, and from my perspective, not many things to change on the Survival front. I’ve reiterated a few throughout the thread, but the greatest hits are:

1. Viper’s Venom (and some generic damage % increase nodes) should be reduced from 2 points to 1 point;
  2. Flanking Strike should have some form of cooldown reduction in the single target rotation;
  3. In the class tree, Binding Shackles and Nesingwary’s Trapping Apparatus need to go; and
  4. We still need to bring something to a raid that, in Ion’s words, would make it a detriment to not have at least one Hunter – whether that’s Aspect of the Fox, some form of raidwide Aspect of the Eagle cooldown, some form of pet passive cooldown (i.e. Rallying Cry for tenacity pets, Stampeding Roar for cunning pets, and raidwide Leech for ferocity pets), or letting Hunters be redundancy for raid buffs/debuffs.

In the words of the great Ron Swanson: “never half-a** two things; whole-a** one thing.” This will all be here when you have time for it.

12 Likes