Community Council discussion on Hunter design

Damn if only Survival also used a ranged weapon then Hunter class design would be easier.

7 Likes

I get that pvers like proc game play, but its toxic af in pvp man. Getting rng blow up out of nowhere sucks when it happens to you and feels downright silly when you do it. Its not empowering or skilled based. Its just luck, and that is not good design. Pretty much plays like this; kiting around trying not to die, wait for proccs, throw out some cc, puke out the procs… ooppps… only took their hp from 80% to 5% instead of to 0, rinse and repeat.

Thats why I hate procs. Probably also why I get so offended by the new VV and Quick Shot talents.

2 Likes

I hear you – I’m sure there were situations where you got back to back to back Flayed Shot procs and absolutely blew an arena opponent out of the water with it, or perhaps you had the same happen to you, or both!

I think what I’ve advocated for – keeping the Flayed Shot/Kill Shot proc mechanic tied to something active like Kill Command resets – avoids that outcome. It takes away from the possibility that you get back to back to back procs and take someone from 80% to 0% in 2 or 3 globals while their teammates are cc’d since at your luckiest, you’ll necessarily still be spending a global in between each Kill Shot.

Do you think that this implementation of the Flayed Shot mechanic would lead to the situation you outline? I agree that that is not ideal pvp gameplay.

2 Likes

Idk man, probably not? The real problem I see is your dmg profile being built around things like KS procs instead solid rotational mechanics. I suppose an example would be knowing that 2x WFB into fast stacking Mongoose Fury into another cdr WFB would be enough pressure to force a defensive or mobility cd or move a dps away from an area/off a teammate. Thats kinda how it was in bfa. I know bfa had alot if random passive dmg but you still had to hit buttons correctly.

1 Like

It could be I don’t understand something simple, but is there a reason we can’t have horizontal connections between talents?

2 Likes

Sorry? Multi-shot can not be default because sv is melee? But arcane shot and steady shot is ok? :man_facepalming:

As a SV main i could not care less if multi-shot were baseline or not. If it helps MM and BM go for it.

Other classes handle melee/ranged just fine with a shared class tree, its just the designer for Hunter that seems to have his heart set on filling the class tree with ranged abilities/shots instead of defensives, utility and abilities that can be used by both melee/ranged like traps.

5 Likes

That makes zero sense.

Survival need only have a trait that seemingly “converts” ranged skills to their melee equivalents while in melee range of a target (or, while a melee weapon is equipped).

• Arcane Shot → Raptor Strike
  • Multishot → Carve
  • Countershot → Muzzle
  • Concussive Shot → Wing Clip
  • Etc.
4 Likes

Ultimately, no. But for the sakes of aesthetics and consistency, likely yes.

There would also be no reason we can’t have orphan nodes at the top of each tier to improve pathing, especially to options that would be baseline if not for their only being reasonably given at a later level and needing to eat up some of an otherwise excessive talent-power budget.

Nor is there any true reason every class must have its capstone tier open after the same 20 points (and, there would be advantages, especially to classes that desire to have more utility prior to throughput capstones, for having a higher capstone buy-in). But alas.

1 Like

Thats what tuning is for. Lol

I myself would preffer focus generation from pet special attacks with mutual procs increasing deamage each one does. We are stuck on pet based generation anyway

Relying on focus regen from pet is bad juju.

We already do though. I do not want pet to be just a fancy dot

Its bad juju bc if your pet cant attack, which we have experienced countless times in raid, m+ and pvp, or it has died, you have zero focus coming in and your screwed.

We know that our pet is attached to focus with KC, and we absolutely HATE it.

Then might as well just remove focus generation altogether and just make it faster. (Like legion)

Or just have raptor strike be our generator.

• Barbed Shot → Lacerate

I will die on this hill.

Even if you nerfed the heal to just 5%, letting it stack makes it broken. 2 SV Hunters in a raid with 3 mushrooms each would still be a 30% HP HoT on the tank. That’s a stronger heal than Frenzied Regen, a Guardian druid personal CD with a cooldown, and you’d have it applied by a spammable spender.

It’s bad design.

1 Like

I think the main thing is just to make sure there’s something early on that adds to SV’s rotation, be it MSV or RSV. So long as we make SV’s ability to make a melee version of each shot, for instance, SV can then open with a Barbed Shot, Serpent Sting, or whatever else fits. In turn, that becomes Lacerate, Serpent Strike, etc.

Personally, I like the idea of it being a Bleed, as to aid Bloodseeker, without it being tied to ramping stacks like Frenzy (as such, not quite equivalent to BM’s Barbed Shot).

Then what would spend it?

Serpent Sting has been pushed down to level 53+, Carve is useless in ST, Mongoose Bite is meant to be a choice, etc., etc.

WFB, now costs 40 focus, and therefore affected by Mastery :smiley: