Community Bigotry is making me move to another server

Firstly I’ll tell you a bit about myself. I play wow since Vanilla and I’m Brazilian. Until today, I was playing in Azralon with my friends.

When I think about, I started playing on Warsong server (where the infamous hunter Avatar used to play with his guild Corp Hurl). By the time there were no regional servers like we have today, so speaking English was something that we all had to do. I kept playing on Warsong until Cataclysm went out and Blizzard launched the new Brazilian servers - although I knew they were still located on US, we all knew that the Brazilian community would finally be able to get together in one server (which ended up being 4 servers later on due to high demand).

I never moved there because I didn’t like to interact and play with English speakers or non-portuguese speakers for what is worth. It was because all my friends were actually moving there.

A few years later I see something I really cannot stand. In LFG I can see dozen of groups saying “No Azralon, No Ragnaros” and more recently, also “No Quel’Thalas”.

People are generalizing their experience with few players and them blasting an entire server out and this toxicity is spreading to the point where I apply for a mythic group, where I am more than capable of participating, and I get instantly rejected.

I thought at first they were looking for a different class, but 10 out of 10 groups said “no Azralon”. The persons in question didn’t even care to talk, they just kept refusing “No Azralon”.

At first I thought it was just because people were incapable of communicating or even understand what they were talking. I understand that M+ groups require most of times a good coordination. I even offered to join their discord and so on.

It didn’t help.

I started to think. Why would people keep refusing someone that is capable of understanding and communicating with them because of the server they are playing? I can only think of xenophobia. There is no other good explanation.

I would love to post screenshots here of what people said (and the groups) but I understand that is against community guidelines.

I also have disastrous experiences with players from so many servers, where they would leave a Mythic + within few minutes for apparently no reason, or they would just go AFK and when got back didn’t even say they were sorry. All my friends do as well. The difference is, we understand that these players do not represent the majority of a server or even are enough experiences for me to tag an entire server and decide that they will not be grouped with.

And the worst part is: this is spreading . People are talking about it. There is even an MVP here in the forums that also badmouth servers like Azralon, Quel’Thalas and Ragnaros.

Most of my friends do PvP, I personally like to play M+. We do occasionally play together when our time allows, but most of times I’m playing with people in LFG tool. Turns out that, due to the fact people are actively refusing players from Azralon makes me want to unsubscribe the game. That is really frustrating.

After giving some thoughts and talking to my friends, I decided to not unsub and just move to another server. I will occasionally still play with my friends, most likely have to change my name - because it is very likely already taken on the server I’m moving to.

I decided to at least leave this post here so maybe Blizzard can read it and think about how they can handle this. If people start finding hard to get grouped because people are rejecting them, they will start unsubscribing. This is bad for business and this will be bad for the game.

56 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAlTOfl9F2w
in all seriousness yeah, its getting pretty bad understandable you want to switch

8 Likes

There’s nothing Blizzard can do. Being against certain servers doesn’t violate the TOS, or EULA. Azralon isn’t a race. Despite who mostly plays on it.

If they changed the TOS to try to enforce some nonsense protecting these servers, people would just stop being polite. Those posting no Azralon/Ragnaros/Quel’thalas are doing you a favor. They are the ones being polite. Because of their warning, you don’t waste your time and your 5 groups queue’d at a time on them. They’re going to ignore you one way or the other and Blizzard can’t stop them.

As for the reason, poor communication skills may have started it but it’s also a behavioral thing. People from those servers are on average, worse players, and far more likely to just leave the moment something happens, that they generally caused.

33 Likes

I’ve never met a good player from goldrinn… I don’t know where that servers based and I don’t know anything about it.

I do know that I’ve had a headache from people from that server so much that I actually know the server by name, and I avoid those people like the plague… For Better or Worse

13 Likes

I never said it was. It is one of the few Brazilian servers. It is literally xenophobia what is happening.

Remember there is no ToS anymore. If blizzard deems that this behavior thing is not acceptable, they have the right to take action on it.

I thought by bringing the light on this topic this would perhaps have another direction. Seems that people are pretty much satisfied doing what they are doing.

10 Likes

I don’t want to sound insensitive, but the reputation is completely deserved. Almost everyone has been burned from someone on those servers. The NA community are only responding to the BR community’s behavior.

Not much Blizzard can do anyway. If they punished people for saying “no azralon”, then they still wouldn’t invite you, they just wouldn’t admit why.

67 Likes

No it’s not. No one has met YOU, or any other Brazilian, they’ve only met made up characters from these servers. Xenophobia is fear of outsiders. Don’t just use a buzz word if you don’t understand it.

And no, there is a TOS, and there are rules on what they can and can’t take action on. And yes, I’m completely satisfied filtering troublesome elements out of my groups to the extent I’m able. If you’re truly not one of these troublesome elements, both in player skill, and temperament, then I’d advise transferring to another server. You are who you hang out with, and the ones you hang out with aren’t worth my time.

24 Likes

Servers with a bad reputation and sadly for a good reason.

18 Likes

What if they said no person from a certain server and they had no idea where it was based on but just based solely on the experiences that they had?

That’s not xenophobia or bigotry … might be prejudicial, but that’s as far as it goes you can’t know what people are thinking or the knowledge that they hold.

5 Likes

I’ve been denied for being on WrA. It is what it is my dude. Just let it go an move on to the next group OR start your own key. Their key, their rules.

2 Likes

You can keep up with this, but this won’t change what it is. You know for a fact that the players from this server are Brazilian and you keep boycotting them ALL without reason other than badmouthing from other players or your personal experience with a % of players that cannot even be considered a reasonable sample.

You’re literally picturing an entire server and community as bad because of your experiences. People are spreading their fear and isolating people that are outsiders.

A normal person reading what you just wrote would just call it by what it is: xenophobia.

10 Likes

I don’t need to change what it is, because what it is, is pattern recognition. No one is afraid of you, just of your failings. Again, you don’t know what xenophobia IS. I don’t know if you’re Brazillian Chinese or from Florida on the wrong server, but you’re on the WRONG server.

21 Likes

With all due respect I think if you changed your servers and then happen to mention you were Brazilian they wouldn’t kick you.

I can’t possibly know that with any certainty but I’m pretty convinced its true. I get your frustration and emotions are high but throwing around xenophobia like that isn’t cool especially when there is Big wiggle room for you being incorrect.

15 Likes

If he changes servers, what does it matter what race he is? No one will ask. No one will care. Because it’s not about race. He’ll get invited, and he’ll either be good, or bad. Then he’ll be judged off his performance like everyone else.

As long as he’s on one of those 3 servers, his guild name may as well be, IMA WRECK YOUR KEY!

Heck, Illidan is close to this status with me, and they’re not a BR server. They’re on the opposite end, they’re GENERALLY good at the game, but not as good as they THINK they are. And they’ll drop a key the moment they make a mistake.

24 Likes

But again, which of my failings?
You don’t even know me. How can you simply be afraid of my failures if you don’t know what they are?

See. I got you right here.

You keep talking about race, I never ever mentioned race here. People will not ask which country I’m because they would just assume that I’m not Brazilian or Spanish native speaker for what is worth.

And there is what is being denied to several players from my realm. To be judged off our performance like everyone else.

See. This is what I mentioned in the OP.

1. People are denying fair treatment to Brazilian players because a very small % of frustration they had in the past.
  2. Then they judge them not because of their performance, but because of the realm they play (again, a realm located under the “Brazil” tab, where only Brazilians play). Or servers located under Latin America.
  3. And you say it is not xenophobia.

I don’t know about you, but the things you are saying is simply not consistent. The more you talk, the more you prove what I just said.

7 Likes

Meh I don’t really leave keys unless it’s really really bad. I try to stay for the most part. Most keys other people leave before me.

1 Like

Can’t you list your own keys or find other BR players to do keys with?

2 Likes

sorry for the discrimination OP

but could ya distill your thoughts a bit, that’s one long wall of text

2 Likes

I play with anyone as long as there’s no language barrier. You don’t need to speak English just understand English. That way the group is working together on the goal.

I think people for the most part feel the same. Maybe you’ve had some bad experiences… I don’t know.

Too many players had too many troubles playing with people from those servers, so they stopped inviting them.

Nothing Blizzard can do about it.

There was an addon that would automatically decline people from those servers. Blizzard broke it.

The take away is you’re free to make a concious decision to associate with players, but you’re not allowed to automate it and distribute that to other players.

There will be groups that decline me because I’m on frostmourne (oce) it is what it is.

10 Likes