Community Bigotry is making me move to another server

Sorry to hear about your experience OP… I will tell you from the other side of the fence though… I ran into two absolutely trash players from Quel’thalas.

They were exceptionally toxic, so much that I stopped running random dungeon groups leveling up in Shadowlands at launch, to only running with guild / friend groups. It was absolutely deplorable.

After leveling my first toon to 60 I went back to pugging a bit. The experience continued. I can count on one hand the number of times I had a good player from Quel’thalas since then - and I have numerous examples of bad players now. Specifically, players that only want to play their way, regardless of group dynamic, players that will hold a group hostage, players that will continually talk trash… it seriously adds up. There was one player though that worked through the dungeon with us (a mythic zero) when I was a fledgling tank. They were chill. They ran with us no problem. They didn’t talk trash. I was skeptical but they were there.

At the end of the run they offered my daughter a piece of gear because it was an upgrade and they didn’t need it. I was almost floored.

That’s what you’re up against. Quel’thalas is actually pretty awful overall. I do remember that one gem though because of the overall awfulness of that server.

10 Likes

I mean, with RaiderIO people can have an idea about the player applying to the dungeon. They can see whether the player is consistent or not.

I never left a key, not even once. Still, people spread this like the entire server is this.

There are almost 50K active players there. How much is too many for you, to justify denying fair treatment to everyone because of very few % players?

Are we talking about 1k players? 2k ? 5k?

Isn’t this a technical issue? I mean your server is hosted in Australia, you are pretty much going around the world to get there. How much is your ping when you play in M+ groups from Americas?

Thanks for sharing. I feel bad for, as I also know how bad it is to meet players that are just toxic and do not care about others. I’ve faced so many times this kind of problem you just described, I just can’t pain point.

2 Likes

I’m probably gonna get flagged for this, but oh well.

Stereotypes exist for a reason. It’s because people see a behavior consistently and associate it with the group involved.

Getting one good group from Azralon and fifteen bad groups from Azralon is not a very good ratio.

Same with the other servers.

While you may be competent, the people who are blocked from communicating with their group mates by joining LFG via a language barrier - can’t be told how to do certain mechanics and you have to hope that they’re competent in this regard.

Saying, “Tim, get out of the fire,” is different than having to Google Translate:

“Tim, sai do fogo,” and I’m not even sure that’s the proper conjugation to noun for that verb.

22 Likes

If you thoughtfully explained your hardship to Blizzard, they might let you transfer for free. Never hurts to ask.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, you’re not going to get fair treatment and Blizzard can’t force it.

It’s a free market when inviting people. Raider io gives information about a player but doesn’t say “invite this player”

People might see a 1000 io mage and invite it over a 1200 io warrior.

People see a 1000 io from NA realms and invite it over a 1200 io from quelthalas.

Each individual is different, on how many bad pugs they’ll take from a server, but most on NA are pretty unanimous that those from latam/south America aren’t worth the risk. It’s not like everyone got together and decided to stop inviting them because it was funny or because they’re racist.

6 Likes

Im not implying anything about you here. I was talking about the illidan server issue the guy brought up

I see no reason at all this post to get flag. I completely understand the reason why would people still be “concerned” about someone from Azralon.

The problem comes with what I just mentioned in the OP. I told several people in those groups I was more than capable of understanding what people are saying and there is no language barrier for me.

That should be enough to remove any kind of concerns about this.

If they said “look, we actually want another class” that would be totally different. They stick with “no azralon”.

For most people, it’s a matter of trust.

If a something that looked similar to a landmine asked you for a high-five, you’d probably think a little bit about your decision to do so.

I mean, I can clearly see you speak and understand English. However, in some groups I’ve had, I’ve had people from said servers attempt to Google translate their way in, too.

2 Likes

I never said it was racism. People seem to have a misconception when it comes to different discrimination.

what you just described is what it is xenophobia.

Thanks. I have no problem paying to move to another server.

The problem is that I’m being forced to do, or stop playing. Still better pay and move to receive fair treatment (hopefully).

3 Likes

My experience is either hit or miss. It’s either been one of the smoothest runs I’ve been in, or a complete disaster

1 Like

That’s the type of person they are :man_shrugging:

If a person goes to a dog park and they get bit by a Beagle they may say “man I don’t know what I did to upset that dog” “That dog”, at this point it’s that one dog that has a problem or maybe something they did to cause it. Now let’s fast forward 5 years and in that time that person has gotten bitten 16 times by Beagles, what do you think their opinion will be? “Those dogs” or Beagles? They’ll probably have a bias against Beagles because in their experience Beagles bite them.
If enough people get bit by Beagles then eventually that line of thinking will spread.

At least that’s what I think is happening. Every time someone has a bad encounter from one of these realms they are being bit by a Beagle.

Also, what they are doing is against the rules…I think. There was a thread on this a while ago that has been locked and unlisted (I don’t know if it’s against the rules to link such threads but :man_shrugging: ) https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/seperate-the-servers/786812 in the OP of that thread is a “Forum moderator note”

Forum Moderator Note: This is being closed since it’s perilously close to sensitive topics. Note that while language requirements are acceptable, exclusion based on realm, ethnicity, or nationality is not.

I’ve never seen Blizz make notes like that on OPs before, they usually write it in a blue post but since the thread is locked and was locked the same day the post was edited I can only assume it’s true.

So any group in the group finder that says “No Azralon” could be breaking the rules.

1 Like

Do what I do and play on a server nobody’s heard of!

Except now that I’m here, everybody’s going to think that Velen is some terrible server. What can ya do :man_shrugging:

I’m sorry that you find yourself in such a horrible situation. I’m sure after you have transferred you’ll find you won’t have to deal with it. As for people’s anecdotes, mine is quite different. When I was learning to tank legion dungeons I grouped with people who must have been from Brazil, but possibly not, I am not sure, I just know their English wasn’t the best, but it was far better than my Spanish and they were patient, helpful and kind. I agree, it is wrong to paint a population with one brush. I’ve dealt with many Americans who have demonstrated less than stellar behaviour - should I paint all Americans with the same brush, is that fair?

5 Likes

Considering people barely talk in-game these days in higher M+ keys due to an expectation that everyone already knows what they should be doing, it’s definitely not a “language barrier” issue there.

1 Like

I sympathize with you (if you are as capable as you claim) but despite making up only 13% of the playerbase, Brazilians account for more than 50% of bricked keys. It is reasonable for me to avoid players from Brazil.

3 Likes

Where do you get that information from?

2 Likes

You don’t wanna know :rofl:

96% of all statistics are made up on the spot :wink:

Yikes lol. Never expected to see that meme used here.

Actually my info is pooled from the Federal Bureau of Io scores as well as the Department of Keystone Statistics. Across all iLvLs and other socioeconomic factors, brazilians still brick keys at an alarmingly higher rate.

4 Likes