Common IC viewpoints you just don't get

I’d just consider that as having been retconned, tbh. Because all other recent fonts of information suggest that their sight is as good as a normal persons and better. Illidan implies that it can be fine-tuned but identifying people, magic and demons are at very least the baseline.

Inanimate objects would be the most finnicky point I think: with spectral sight active, you really see people hiding behind walls/hills/etc, which can be very disorienting. I can imagine a few DH straight up walking into walls because they were tunnel visioning too hard. I’ve just been RPing it as the magical equivalent of using a magnifying glass or binoculars: put e’m on when you wanna focus on something you might not otherwise be able to see, then put e’m away again.

WoD. In comes these random races and they start making a mess about the planet.

As a Blood Elf it would be a natural viewpoint that most Blood Elves til’ this day would at the very least hate the Amani that plagued the Ghostlands. After what happened there, I would also best bet that they wouldn’t trust trolls AFTER either. Also it isn’t a matter of how special you look, it’s a matter of history between races. I can understand your viewpoint of Draenei. I wonder why we don’t call the orc’s, space orc’s, because they also came from the same lands of the Draenei then.

It’s also a matter of how characters are raised as well. Lifechances and such y’know? Sociology.

Really it depends on your character, yes the Burning of Teldrassil happened but people are going to have different views. And most people who do play ‘horde sympathizers’ have their reasons I’m sure.

2 Likes

This character desires nothing more than peace with the Horde, because she knows that the actions of tyrants do not define the race as a whole.

See: Queen Azshara and the Night Elves. Even after Sylvanas burned down Teldrassil. Even after everything Garrosh did, guess what? The Night Elves did far, far worse to Azeroth in the past.

She by no means LIKES the Horde. In fact, whenever a Forsaken gets so much as a stubbed toe she takes satisfaction out of it, but you know, maybe trying to slaughter each other just leads to more slaughter? Maybe we should just grow up, despite being thousands of years old at this point, and shake the hand of the Greenskins?

Lets save the souls of those lost to the Banshee’s Madness, give each other a nod, and leave each other alone.

6 Likes

That’s a really cool IC perspective actually - relating it back to Azshara and the Night Elves… I like that, it’s cool!

Hey kid, wanna buy a…

opens trenchcoat

event invitation?

(Okay, but seriously! I’m hosting an event as a preliminary, diplomatic discussion for refostering relations with the Horde! You’re welcome to join, if you can make it :slight_smile: Speakers, guards, and just people there to listen are welcome!)

That because I’m a Pandaren that I’m nice, welcoming, and just here for hugs. It can be difficult to be taken seriously. Even though I’m a bipedal bear that could snap most races in two while balancing a full keg in each arm.

The Pandaren have an order where kids die regularly in their attempt to join. Many are trained in martial arts and shown fighting off other races all the time despite not being part of an actual military. They’ve survived attempted genocide, enslavement (I guess several races have), and an old god invasion. They’re constantly having to defend themselves. Pandaria is a very hostile continent and even the turtle Shen-zin Su isn’t all peaches and rainbows.

It’s actually gotten in the way of me being able to enjoy RP in the past when I was actively enjoying and RPing in WoW. I wish WoW had a better character creator and an option for idle animations to help with this view. Some scuffed fur and scars would have better suited some of my Pandaren. Their character model/animations don’t reflect their lore that well, in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB5uBHmWUQI

If people want to RP the huggable panda (as I often do!), then that’s totally great! I’ve found myself in situations though where if you don’t want to RP as the huggable panda then RPs can be really not fun as your character gets disregarded.

15 Likes

Helms deep. He blinded an army of Uruk-hai at helms deep.

He also chased off a bunch of Nazgul with light at Gondor when trying to cover Faramir’s original retreat, didn’t he?

Things heating up in the LOTR fandom tho.

That attitude of others was why I found it hard to stay with the grizzled pandaren ranger this guy was.

If its not people still hating pandaren (once got declined from a key because the lead thought pandaren were dumb), its forcing the happy-go-lucky stereotype down on us. Its often tedious at times.

11 Likes

Yea, but that wasn’t really during a battle.

I’m being weirdly pedantic about this for no reason

1 Like

Yeah people get weird about Pandaren, IC and OOC. You’re hit with a range of reactions such as “lol you’re just Kung Fu Panda” or “Pandaren are supposed to be happy and goofy and wise” or “Ew you’re probably a furry.”

I’ve made three attempts to RP Pandaren with a dramatic angle and the first two only really resolved because I dragged then out of sight into private with a specific few people, and #3 just crashed and burned altogether.

Attempt #1 was a Mainlander, the son of a disgraced ex Shado-Pan whose life was in shambles and who lost his home when a piece of the Horde gunship literally fell on it
and this got me the classic dismissal of “siiigggghhh you rebellion RPers are so annoying :((((((( just don’t play Horde then yuck.”

Attempt #2 was an idealistic Huojin monk who left the isle in the default stock setting of jovial only to lose that exuberant positivity when exposed to the hardships of the wider world–this one was even stranger because I got shouted down for his darker moments… but then also called histrionic and annoying because of his better ones??? WHAT is correct then

Attempt #3 was a former up and coming pugilist on Shen-Zin Su but became a wanderer after his life and marriage fell apart when his adopted child died in a house fire and he was blamed for it by his husband’s family. I didn’t even get to the point of that detail becoming known before receiving the typical whining of “egh egh your panda is too downer your panda is too mean egh egh.”

Like, I’m so sorry I wrote him with a more involved backstory than standing around the wyvern’s tail trading bored racisms with strangers. I feel as though people just hate Pandaren in general too much for them to be very fun to explore outside their own communities.

8 Likes

every time I tried to RP a Pandaren my characters keep ending up as this weird mix of Mr.Miyagi from the Karate kid, and Uncle Iroh from the last airbender.

But the sterotypes aside, even I noticed that everyone treats every single pandaren like they are this giant sunshine and sparkles alcoholics.

4 Likes

Telandros lost friends and family as a direct result of the Horde’s actions. Much of his childhood village destroyed. He has as much reason as anyone to desire violent vengeance.

But he makes a conscious choice not to. It’s admittedly difficult, wrestling with the natural feelings of anger and despair at the state of affairs simmering in the back of his mind.

He essentially has to convince himself that peace is for the best, and he goes through with this struggle almost entirely because the woman he loves happens to be Horde-side.

Irrational feelings trying to disguise itself as cold rational logic? Perhaps.

My point is, that characters (yes, even night elves and Gilneans) can all be sympathizers for one reason or another. And many of these reasons are valid.

4 Likes

I can understand wanting to be neutral, playing as I am a Ex-Alliance Turned Horde turned BACK to the Alliance operative in this character.

It kind of helps that I’m not a PVPer in the slightest, but Vanndrel’s got no vested interest in a long standing war with the Horde. Hell, Quel’thalas can sit and spin for all he cares about it now. He turned his back on a home he’d helped build for it and ultimately it resulted in him watching from a distance as the Horde blew that home to the ground with if not Quel’thalas’ tact approval then definitely with the terrible knowledge the Sunfurys had gleaned from Outland.

1 Like

as long as you’re not trying to be preachy and play it realistically, it’s not too troublesome

but the sympathizer characters that go “you should immediately forgive and forget about what they did to you” rubs me wrong.

people don’t forgive that easily. there are grudges irl that have been held for hundreds of years. or at least several decades.

what i wish i saw sympathizer characters do is sympathize with the victims, and try to direct their anger and pain to more peaceful things. instead of vengeance, use your motivation to repair your homes and make sure stuff like this doesn’t happen again. open avenues for a lasting peace.

“you are right to want to see the world burned down for what they did to you and the people you love. but don’t let it burn, for their sakes. for you, as well. it may feel like you are dead or dying, and that the only thing that can help anyone is to make them dead. but their deaths won’t make your pain go away. it won’t make what you lost come back.

you are right to feel these things, but these things will only continue the cycle of loss.”
sorta stuff.

instead of “oh teldrassil wasn’t so bad, get over it” or “forgive the alliance/horde immediately or you’re a horrible person”, try a more realistic or respectful approach.

half the time i feel people dislike sympathizer characters is a lot of the time a sympathizer character demands your character to act differently.

that’s just me tho.

happy monday.

12 Likes

I think a big issue is that this is the kind of thing we are given in game. Not that I think you’re wrong, but can we really blame them if they take a page from the characters in game?

To play devil’s advocate I think it’s actually an interesting angle that could lead to character development. The preachy naïve idealist peace maker types are likely young or have by a stroke of luck not been really personally as effected by it all. Or maybe not as much. Sure, we could roll our eyes at such a person but there are these types of people in real life. Perhaps they are arrogant in that they think they have this magic solution to end the conflict. It’s not a character I’d personally play, but I think it can “make sense” and be something really interesting if the player themselves does it right.

That is a good point. But throughout my time in roleplay I have seen and experienced that a lot of a character’s views are usually stagnant on certain things - no matter how much you try to change them or prove them wrong. On individuals/players they can change, but very little comparatively when it’s a different topic.

1 Like

That mirrors real life though, doesn’t it?

1 Like