Coca Cola Gives Blizzard a History Lesson

11/02/2018 07:24 PMPosted by Mercad12EE79
Don't care if this gets me in trouble for saying so but I will be playing on pservers if they botch this.

x2
11/02/2018 08:17 PMPosted by Neptune
Great story!

Don't forget about Final Fantasy 14 having a similar story of mistakes, humility, and ultimately redemption.

With FFXIV they had to literally rebuild the game from scratch to make it successful. I feel like that might be the case for Classic too.
Ok but did Blizzard say a direct 1:1 or did they say to the best of their abilities?
11/02/2018 08:02 PMPosted by ZipzĂž
I would like this post more if it wasn’t a straight rip-off of the intro to Skill-Up’s Destiny 2: Forsaken review.

https://youtu.be/DypNaZOIcqo

Maybe get your own content next time, good try pal.
Well, I don't suppose it's possible that two people can independently come up with a similar thought. But since I first posted the idea over a year ago under a different character, I'd say I have rights to it:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20758385844?page=10#post-185

Looks like Skill-up is ripping me off.
11/02/2018 06:41 PMPosted by Clasicislife
When I was in my early teens, a very large company name Coca Cola did something that they thought would help their slumping sales and market share. They changed the recipe for their flagship product. What had once simply been "Coca Cola" was now "New Coke."

Now, Coca Cola didn't just add a new product to their line. They replaced the original product entirely—the one that had made them a dominant cola company in the market.

The result? Their loyal Coke drinkers were extremely upset. As in, extremely.

But, the higher-ups at Coca Cola were a smart bunch of people. Rather than refuse to acknowledge the hole they'd just blown in their ship on their way to the bottom, they fixed the hole and righted the ship. It took them 78 days to commit to a full and complete restoration of their original product. And they made good on it. They re-released their flagship product with its original recipe. In a monumental twist of irony here, they renamed the original "Classic" Coke.

Sales went up. What had been a languishing market share rebounded incredibly. And Coca Cola has never looked back.

Imagine what would have happened had they promised to restore the original recipe, but still tossed in a couple of the newer ingredients. Imagine how their market would have responded to such misrepresentation.

Well, fortunately for Coca Cola and Coke lovers, they embraced the feedback of their loyal customers, which surely took some humility, and they went back to the original product. Not a slightly modified version of the original. The EXACT original. After a time, even the "Classic" title was removed from the product, and the "new" Coke product was retired permanently. Coca Cola was back, and everyone was happy.

It's important to note that it was the recipe that made the product. Not the can and not the label and not even the title. Changes in the makeup of the aluminum in the can would have been acceptable to customers, because those weren't the product. Changes in the branding on the can would have been acceptable as well. They were not the product. The product was what was inside. It was the recipe. And customers were damn loyal to it. And passionately, even fanatically so. And the Coca Cola company rewarded that passion with the product they loved—and stood up for.

Please apply this history lesson to your World of Warcraft product. You had a great game. You changed it and gave us something "new." But we don't like your new game. We want the original back. And we let you know we did. And you promised that you'd restore it.

Don't now go and give us a modified recipe. We don't care if you change the logo on the can, or the makeup of the aluminum, or even add "Classic" to the title. Just like with Coca Cola fans, these aren't changes to the product. But if you keep a few of the ingredients that you've tossed into your "new" product, you are not giving us the original product. And, just like the Coca Cola fans of the 80s, we will reject it. With fervor.

Be like Coca Cola. Embrace the feedback of your customers. Restore the original WoW. Wholly and entirely. Without regret and without contempt. Don't pollute it with bits and pieces of the version we rejected.

Just give us Vanilla. You promised. Please deliver.

Bravo. Excellent point & one Blizzard should adhere to.
give us vanilla coke
Yea but....

...computer's , code , and infrastructure evolution,

make that choice a hard one to make.

Video gaming is a bit more sophisticated than soda.
Here, buy this new coke for a buck and you'll get coke classic "included"!
And there you have it....Looks Like Vanilla > Classic boys, and girls
Plot twist: At the end of BlizzCon, Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy and Scooby rush the stage, grab J. Allen Brack, pull off his mask and reveal that it's actually Don Mattrick.
Please define what is coke and what is container in this analogy.

Also this would be like coke introducing new coke it does way better than coke classic for years but then starts to flag as people get bored of it(which happens with games not soda).

In short this is a GODAWFUL analogy.
11/03/2018 09:44 AMPosted by Kelzar
Please define what is coke and what is container in this analogy.

Also this would be like coke introducing new coke it does way better than coke classic for years but then starts to flag as people get bored of it(which happens with games not soda).

In short this is a GODAWFUL analogy.
108 other posters appear to diagree with you.
i can respect a company that made an error, admitted it and then fixed it with no strings attached.
11/05/2018 06:42 PMPosted by Starmage
i can respect a company that made an error, admitted it and then fixed it with no strings attached.
Exactly. No strings attached. That's what Blizzard needs to do.
11/02/2018 06:41 PMPosted by Clasicislife
When I was in my early teens, a very large company name Coca Cola did something that they thought would help their slumping sales and market share. They changed the recipe for their flagship product. What had once simply been "Coca Cola" was now "New Coke."

Now, Coca Cola didn't just add a new product to their line. They replaced the original product entirely—the one that had made them a dominant cola company in the market.

But, the higher-ups at Coca Cola were a smart bunch of people. Rather than refuse to acknowledge the hole they'd just blown in their ship on their way to the bottom, they fixed the hole and righted the ship. It took them 78 days to commit to a full and complete restoration of their original product. And they made good on it. They re-released their flagship product with its original recipe. In a monumental twist of irony here, they renamed the original "Classic" Coke.

Sales went up. What had been a languishing market share rebounded incredibly. And Coca Cola has never looked back.

Imagine what would have happened had they promised to restore the original recipe, but still tossed in a couple of the newer ingredients. Imagine how their market would have responded to such misrepresentation.

Well, fortunately for Coca Cola and Coke lovers, they embraced the feedback of their loyal customers, which surely took some humility, and they went back to the original product. Not a slightly modified version of the original. The EXACT original. After a time, even the "Classic" title was removed from the product, and the "new" Coke product was retired permanently. Coca Cola was back, and everyone was happy.

It's important to note that it was the recipe that made the product. Not the can and not the label and not even the title. Changes in the makeup of the aluminum in the can would have been acceptable to customers, because those weren't the product. Changes in the branding on the can would have been acceptable as well. They were not the product. The product was what was inside. It was the recipe. And customers were damn loyal to it. And passionately, even fanatically so. And the Coca Cola company rewarded that passion with the product they loved—and stood up for.

Please apply this history lesson to your World of Warcraft product. You had a great game. You changed it and gave us something "new." But we don't like your new game. We want the original back. And we let you know we did. And you promised that you'd restore it.

Don't now go and give us a modified recipe. We don't care if you change the logo on the can, or the makeup of the aluminum, or even add "Classic" to the title. Just like with Coca Cola fans, these aren't changes to the product. But if you keep a few of the ingredients that you've tossed into your "new" product, you are not giving us the original product. And, just like the Coca Cola fans of the 80s, we will reject it. With fervor.

Be like Coca Cola. Embrace the feedback of your customers. Restore the original WoW. Wholly and entirely. Without regret and without contempt. Don't pollute it with bits and pieces of the version we rejected.

I would never do it because I don’t touch the stuff, but I always wondered what the real original Coca Cola was like, that had a trace amount of !@#$%^- in it.

We won’t get the launch experience though. Maybe that’s a good thing.
I think this is a great story.

Thank you for sharing.

I would never do it because I don’t touch the stuff, but I always wondered what the real original Coca Cola was like, that had a trace amount of !@#$%^- in it.

We won’t get the launch experience though. Maybe that’s a good thing.

Coca-Cola still contains trace amounts of !@#$%^-, but the de-!@#$%^-ing process is better at removing most of it. I think you literally have to drink hundreds or thousands of bottles of coke to get any effects of it. It's very minute now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola#Coca_%E2%80%93_cocaine

Pemberton called for five ounces of coca leaf per gallon of syrup (approximately 37 g/L), a significant dose; in 1891, Candler claimed his formula (altered extensively from Pemberton's original) contained only a tenth of this amount. Coca-Cola once contained an estimated nine milligrams of !@#$%^- per glass. (For comparison, a typical dose or "line" of !@#$%^- is 50–75 mg.[64]) In 1903, it was removed.[65]

After 1904, instead of using fresh leaves, Coca-Cola started using "spent" leaves – the leftovers of the !@#$%^--extraction process with trace levels of !@#$%^-.[66] Since then, Coca-Cola uses a !@#$%^--free coca leaf extract prepared at a Stepan Company plant in Maywood, New Jersey.[67]

In the United States, the Stepan Company is the only manufacturing plant authorized by the Federal Government to import and process the coca plant,[67] which it obtains mainly from Peru and, to a lesser extent, Bolivia. Besides producing the coca flavoring agent for Coca-Cola, the Stepan Company extracts !@#$%^- from the coca leaves, which it sells to Mallinckrodt, a St. Louis, Missouri, pharmaceutical manufacturer that is the only company in the United States licensed to purify !@#$%^- for medicinal use.[68]

Long after the syrup had ceased to contain any significant amount of !@#$%^-, in the southeastern U.S., "dope" remained a common colloquialism for Coca-Cola, and "dope-wagons" were trucks that transported it.[69] The traditional shape of the bottle is said to resemble the seed-pod of the coca bush, memorializing the !@#$%^- recipe.

And I think the Coca-Cola Classic & New Coke is a better analogy than Star Wars & George Lucus. I hate George Lucas' new version of Star Wars but it didn't make people stop buying Star Wars. In fact, I think TV & cable stations are forced to show the new, George Lucas versions instead.
11/02/2018 07:24 PMPosted by Mercad12EE79
Don't care if this gets me in trouble for saying so but I will be playing on pservers if they botch this.
I've never played on a private server, but if Blizzard screws up Classic, I'll probably be joining you. I've been patient so far, but I'm so hyped for OG WoW that, one way or another, I will get my vanilla fix.
I think the basis for the analogy is good but it doesnt translate 100%. For example, it would have been easy for Coca Cola to right itself, they already had the infrastructure, the recipe (which is only a handful of things), the supply network, etc.

While classic WoW could learn from a lesson of righting the wrong, its a lot more intricate than just throwing into play the old product that existed. Case and points have already been made by Blizzard, especially at this years Blizzcon panel. I do not see a problem in them trying to streamline some of the process' for themselves either. Ultimately I dislike the sharding aspect but it wont hinder me from playing the game and I have a high suspicion it wont stop hundreds of thousands of other players either, no matter how much they gripe here on the forums.
I think this is a good analogy, blizzard take note. They did/do have a working "1.12 reference client." So they could just use that and fix whatever security concerns they had, but instead decided to totally recreate the game by reverse engineering the modern client, which by default has the sharding and loot trading crap.

I don't think people looking to play classic really care if it had bnet integration.