Coca Cola Gives Blizzard a History Lesson

11/05/2018 06:38 PMPosted by Clasicislife
108 other posters appear to diagree with you.
108 million people actually drink Coke. How's that for valued opinion?
I pointed this comparison out quite a long time ago as well. Guess Blizzard didn't listen. Oh well!
People should be drinking water and unsweetened coffee or tea.
11/02/2018 06:41 PMPosted by Clasicislife
When I was in my early teens, a very large company name Coca Cola did something that they thought would help their slumping sales and market share. They changed the recipe for their flagship product. What had once simply been "Coca Cola" was now "New Coke."

Now, Coca Cola didn't just add a new product to their line. They replaced the original product entirely—the one that had made them a dominant cola company in the market.

The result? Their loyal Coke drinkers were extremely upset. As in, extremely.

But, the higher-ups at Coca Cola were a smart bunch of people. Rather than refuse to acknowledge the hole they'd just blown in their ship on their way to the bottom, they fixed the hole and righted the ship. It took them 78 days to commit to a full and complete restoration of their original product. And they made good on it. They re-released their flagship product with its original recipe. In a monumental twist of irony here, they renamed the original "Classic" Coke.

Sales went up. What had been a languishing market share rebounded incredibly. And Coca Cola has never looked back.

Imagine what would have happened had they promised to restore the original recipe, but still tossed in a couple of the newer ingredients. Imagine how their market would have responded to such misrepresentation.

Well, fortunately for Coca Cola and Coke lovers, they embraced the feedback of their loyal customers, which surely took some humility, and they went back to the original product. Not a slightly modified version of the original. The EXACT original. After a time, even the "Classic" title was removed from the product, and the "new" Coke product was retired permanently. Coca Cola was back, and everyone was happy.

It's important to note that it was the recipe that made the product. Not the can and not the label and not even the title. Changes in the makeup of the aluminum in the can would have been acceptable to customers, because those weren't the product. Changes in the branding on the can would have been acceptable as well. They were not the product. The product was what was inside. It was the recipe. And customers were loyal to it. And passionately, even fanatically so. And the Coca Cola company rewarded that passion with the product they loved—and stood up for.

Please apply this history lesson to your World of Warcraft product. You had a great game. You changed it and gave us something "new." But we don't like your new game. We want the original back. And we let you know we did. And you promised that you'd restore it.

Don't now go and give us a modified recipe. We don't care if you change the logo on the can, or the makeup of the aluminum, or even add "Classic" to the title. Just like with Coca Cola fans, these aren't changes to the product. But if you keep a few of the ingredients that you've tossed into your "new" product, you are not giving us the original product. And, just like the Coca Cola fans of the 80s, we will reject it. With fervor.

Be like Coca Cola. Embrace the feedback of your customers. Restore the original WoW. Wholly and entirely. Without regret and without contempt. Don't pollute it with bits and pieces of the version we rejected.

Just give us Vanilla. You promised. Please deliver.

Just to throw out a few tidbits to this, they didn't just randomly change it without testing they did blind taste test having used the new coke, classic coke and pepsi and the new coke was preferred even over classic with most saying they would buy and drink the cola though said it would take some time getting use to it. About 10% had issue with it and refused to ever drink a coke product if that were to happen.

However what end ed up happening was when they did the taste test they promoted as a possible another coke product then when it came out it was suppose to be a replacement for the classic coke this is where people weren't happy they didn't want to replace original coke but were ok with the idea of having the option for both and most may have even enjoyed both iterations of coke had that been the case..

Just thought I would add. Now the second half of what I said could be used and applied to blizzard handling of classic I suppose.
11/02/2018 06:51 PMPosted by Foxkin
They should go back to putting crack in their drinks. Blizz is too busy smoking it all though.

It was !@#$%^-. For a time, *!@#$%^ was used as a treatment for alcoholism.
11/02/2018 06:44 PMPosted by Lokubi
All this over a very rushed and unfinished demo? They're obviously no where near release ready.

Still their way of reasoning for thi gs and completely ignoring fans is disgusting. Fans literally tell them what they want and spend money on and they "feel the need" to do the opposite and then look what happens "acti-blizz stock falls 10% and revenue falls short of projections".
You realize they coke changed the can to say Classic. So, the core taste of coke was there with just an altered container. Hmm... that sounds familiar...
When I was in my early teens, a very large company name Coca Cola did something that they thought would help their slumping sales and market share. They changed the recipe for their flagship product. What had once simply been "Coca Cola" was now "New Coke."

Now, Coca Cola didn't just add a new product to their line. They replaced the original product entirely—the one that had made them a dominant cola company in the market.

But, the higher-ups at Coca Cola were a smart bunch of people. Rather than refuse to acknowledge the hole they'd just blown in their ship on their way to the bottom, they fixed the hole and righted the ship. It took them 78 days to commit to a full and complete restoration of their original product. And they made good on it. They re-released their flagship product with its original recipe. In a monumental twist of irony here, they renamed the original "Classic" Coke.

Sales went up. What had been a languishing market share rebounded incredibly. And Coca Cola has never looked back.

Imagine what would have happened had they promised to restore the original recipe, but still tossed in a couple of the newer ingredients. Imagine how their market would have responded to such misrepresentation.

Well, fortunately for Coca Cola and Coke lovers, they embraced the feedback of their loyal customers, which surely took some humility, and they went back to the original product. Not a slightly modified version of the original. The EXACT original. After a time, even the "Classic" title was removed from the product, and the "new" Coke product was retired permanently. Coca Cola was back, and everyone was happy.

It's important to note that it was the recipe that made the product. Not the can and not the label and not even the title. Changes in the makeup of the aluminum in the can would have been acceptable to customers, because those weren't the product. Changes in the branding on the can would have been acceptable as well. They were not the product. The product was what was inside. It was the recipe. And customers were loyal to it. And passionately, even fanatically so. And the Coca Cola company rewarded that passion with the product they loved—and stood up for.

Please apply this history lesson to your World of Warcraft product. You had a great game. You changed it and gave us something "new." But we don't like your new game. We want the original back. And we let you know we did. And you promised that you'd restore it.

Don't now go and give us a modified recipe. We don't care if you change the logo on the can, or the makeup of the aluminum, or even add "Classic" to the title. Just like with Coca Cola fans, these aren't changes to the product. But if you keep a few of the ingredients that you've tossed into your "new" product, you are not giving us the original product. And, just like the Coca Cola fans of the 80s, we will reject it. With fervor.

Be like Coca Cola. Embrace the feedback of your customers. Restore the original WoW. Wholly and entirely. Without regret and without contempt. Don't pollute it with bits and pieces of the version we rejected.

I remember the New Coke fiasco. Blizzard could learn a lot from this.
11/08/2018 09:55 PMPosted by Johnnyderp
11/05/2018 06:38 PMPosted by Clasicislife
108 other posters appear to diagree with you.
108 million people actually drink Coke. How's that for valued opinion?
LOL, that number seems low. ;)
11/08/2018 11:01 PMPosted by Slappypappy

Just to throw out a few tidbits to this, they didn't just randomly change it without testing they did blind taste test having used the new coke, classic coke and pepsi and the new coke was preferred even over classic with most saying they would buy and drink the cola though said it would take some time getting use to it. About 10% had issue with it and refused to ever drink a coke product if that were to happen.

However what end ed up happening was when they did the taste test they promoted as a possible another coke product then when it came out it was suppose to be a replacement for the classic coke this is where people weren't happy they didn't want to replace original coke but were ok with the idea of having the option for both and most may have even enjoyed both iterations of coke had that been the case..

Just thought I would add. Now the second half of what I said could be used and applied to blizzard handling of classic I suppose.
Good addition. I was unaware that they did any pre-deployment testing, although it stands to reason that they would.

But, unless I recall incorrectly, they did it in the first place because their market share was waning to colas that had more sugar (I think?). Essentially, the move was calculated to make their product more like their competitors'.

Either way, it was the fact that replaced their flagship product that ultimately was the mistake. And, as you say, this most certainly has connection to what Blizzard has done. It made zero sense to destroy Vanilla in favor of pushing players continually toward the newest end-game. People always like choice. And people generally view negatively having their choices restricted, particularly when the result is the loss of something they love in the first place.

Blizzard would do best to abandon their self-serving quests toward sharding, loot trading, etc., and just re-deploy Vanilla under the "Classic" label.
11/09/2018 10:53 AMPosted by Clasicislife
11/08/2018 11:01 PMPosted by Slappypappy

Good addition. I was unaware that they did any pre-deployment testing, although it stands to reason that they would.

But, unless I recall incorrectly, they did it in the first place because their market share was waning to colas that had more sugar (I think?). Essentially, the move was calculated to make their product more like their competitors'.

Either way, it was the fact that replaced their flagship product that ultimately was the mistake. And, as you say, this most certainly has connection to what Blizzard has done. It made zero sense to destroy Vanilla in favor of pushing players continually toward the newest end-game. People always like choice. And people generally view negatively having their choices restricted, particularly when the result is the loss of something they love in the first place.

Blizzard would do best to abandon their self-serving quests toward sharding, loot trading, etc., and just re-deploy Vanilla under the "Classic" label.

Main difference between Coke and Pepsi from internet and my case studies in my college classes; Pepsi has more sugar than Coke and "tastes sweeter".

I don't know the recipes so I can't confirm if it has more sugar or not. But Pepsi tastes sweeter while Coke has a "bite" to me. I can tell the difference. Like on airlines or restaurants when you ask for Coke and they try to give you Pepsi thinking it's the same thing (I'll ask for Dr. Pepper if they don't serve Coke after I complain about being given a Pepsi).

Anyways, back on topic. New Coke was Coke's attempt to make a sweeter tasting Coke just like Pepsi. And pretty much give Pepsi drinkers no reason to drink Pepsi since Coke now tasted just as sweet as Pepsi.
All this over a very rushed and unfinished demo? They're obviously no where near release ready.

To be fair, though - Blizzard shouldn't have released a rushed, unfinished demo. This is on them... It was a money grab, and they're paying for it.
11/09/2018 11:31 AMPosted by Shendalar

To be fair, though - Blizzard shouldn't have released a rushed, unfinished demo. This is on them... It was a money grab, and they're paying for it.

I disagree. It was a demo of their Alpha. It wasn't even a Beta yet. It was a gift.

If you thought it was a money grab, then there was a simply answer to that. Don't buy the virtual ticket to Blizzcon.

Blizzard never once said "Classic WoW is finished and here is a demo of our finished product".

Blizzard said "we are still working on Classic WoW and here a demo of some things we have completed already".
11/09/2018 11:37 AMPosted by Fiirestarr
11/09/2018 11:31 AMPosted by Shendalar

I disagree. It was a demo of their Alpha. It wasn't even a Beta yet. It was a gift.
I'm with you up until you call it a "gift." $50 bucks for two weeks of alpha is no gift. Even though I paid it. The hope it gave me was worth the $50.

My hope is that they really listen to why we don't want sharding and loot trading, etc. Contaminating an authentic Vanilla deployment via Classic is a huge risk. It would likely backfire. A lot of people really would still choose a private server. Hence, the OP. I hope Blizzard is reading and paying attention. People want Vanilla, unadulterated by Retail QoL nonsense.
11/09/2018 11:51 AMPosted by Clasicislife
11/09/2018 11:37 AMPosted by Fiirestarr
I'm with you up until you call it a "gift." $50 bucks for two weeks of alpha is no gift. Even though I paid it. The hope it gave me was worth the $50.

My hope is that they really listen to why we don't want sharding and loot trading, etc. Contaminating an authentic Vanilla deployment via Classic is a huge risk. It would likely backfire. A lot of people really would still choose a private server. Hence, the OP. I hope Blizzard is reading and paying attention. People want Vanilla, unadulterated by Retail QoL nonsense.

And I agree with you on that. I don't want sharding or loot trading in WoW Classic. #NoChanges

I hate sharding. This is Legion. I get on a boat or zep and me and another player are having a conversation (this is rare as most people in Legion wouldn't talk). We hit the load screen, and when the game loads, everybody on the boat or zep have disappeared.

Another problem with sharding. I made some friends with some people from a different server than mine while hanging out in Goldshire on my Night Elf. One time, my friend invites me to a group and we go to Goldshire to meet. We are standing next to each other in Goldshire because our dots in the map are on top of each other. But we are in different shards or phases and can't see each other. I'm a mage so I teleport to different continents a couple of times. And we disband our group and rejoin a couple of times. But it takes us 15 to 30 mins just to get on the same shard or phase.

I'm just as anti-sharding and anti-loot trading as the rest.

Every Blizzcon, they have playable demos for people who attend Blizzcon. And this wasn't the 1st Blizzcon to sell a virtual ticket. And this year, they made the demo available to attendees at Blizzcon also available to purchasers of the virtual ticket. And hence why I called it a gift. And if you didn't want to pay "$50 just to play a demo", Blizzard did not force anybody to buy the virtual ticket, and you did not have to buy the ticket.

TLDR: Just read my first and last paragraphs.

#JustSayNoToLayering

5 Likes

Holy Necro Batman!

+1 200 IQ post.

5 Likes

Great post OP :+1: Very well explained.

I wholeheartedly ask the same as you of Blizzard. They’ve got a chance at a big comeback to their fans, but if they don’t start to learn from massive mistakes from the past, nor from other companies presenting very similar cases… what can you do.

I hate to say it, but if they mess up this big opportunity to restore trust with their core audience by actively changing the games main features, yet still pretending it’s still Classic as it launches…they deserve to get the wrath of the community full on, because they tried to trick them at the worst moment possible.

At one point, it’s just enough. People have given them so many chances over the years to prove they still have it in them to make a great WoW. Yet each expansion they drifted further off the original games formula, to the point where it’s unrecognizable aside from some echoes of the past left in the game which give a clue as to what it once was.

Each xpack people came back, hoping thing’s would have changed. But they disappointedly left in droves each time, many not coming back for the next try because they saw it’s not going anywhere.
And now we have BFA. Blizz pls. Don’t repeat your cycle of “take out the MMORPG for a super smooth tech experience”. It’s not working for christs sake. Don’t do this to your last MMORPG left which is still 15 years later beloved by millions who can’t wait to play JUST THAT game!

4 Likes

Here we are 8 months later and it turns out we’re getting Classic+ rather than just classic.

3 Likes