Cloning to Classic Era Still Available

So, after several hours of maintenance to wrap up the time in which those can clone between Classic Era and Classic TBC, the service is still available. What was the point of the shutdown if this change wasn’t implemented?

2 Likes

I will admit to a certain ignorance to cloning, but where do you see this option is still open? Is it the in game shop? The character select shop?

And is it an option you can use, or just a remnant of the function in the game client?

2 Likes

I have friends that still have characters they haven’t cloned in TBC. The option to clone/transfer to Classic Era is still available to them. These are friends I have in Classic Era so I suppose I’m assuming they are able to assess whether what they’re seeing is still functional or not.

1 Like

As far as I know, they shouldn’t be able to complete the process and it will receive a 404 error when attempting.

The work today was to remove the system, but there are other parts of it that requires a bit of time to process on the back end.

7 Likes

I appreciate the clarification and I suppose that does make sense. Would you happen to know whether or not this would also mean that names that aren’t currently available in Classic Era still may become available as these processes finish out?

1 Like

I couldn’t say for certain, I don’t know what all is happening for the process but I think it depends on where the characters were. Assuming the characters were moved to Burning Crusade Classic, that should mean they will no longer be available on Classic Era, unless they were cloned. I’m not sure how long the next process will take, but we’ll likely see once it is complete.

3 Likes

Can the era cloning services be extended and not removed? 48 hours before the cloning service ended, Blizzard’s south american payment processing gateway was down and several of them couldnt get a chance to clone.

From the looks of it, only the website link is disabled.

Can we request to extend era cloning for a little while longer up to release of wrath of the lich king?

Likely not. The removal of this was posted some time ago, it would be basically setting the systems up to be ready for WLK, so this part likely had to progress in advance.

3 Likes

The service was available for over two months. I don’t see Blizzard extending it due to technical issues affecting relatively few users in the final two days of availability.

Waiting until the last minute to use it under the assumption that stuff on the internet will always work is not a good strategy.

5 Likes

So, now that cloning has been confirmed to no longer be available, my final question is when will these characters be removed from the registry? I know I’m not the only person who is looking forward to see if they can create some new characters with desired names that have been taken by characters that aren’t played anymore.

1 Like

We need to bring back character cloning. Blizz should have never touched classic characters from classic servers. It should been the other way around imo, if you wanted to play TBC, you should have cloned it to TBC servers to do that… that would have made so much more sense. I have disagreed with a lot of decisions Blizz has made in the past, but seriously the one thing that has always been a constant until now… is that whenever i came back to wow from a break… my characters would be there just like i left it… and now that has changed and not the case. Very disappointing. Definetly would support and pay for character cloning if they brought it back. Blizzard! Bring back character cloning! Player based shouldnt lose all those countless days and hours of effort put into characters just because they had to take a break for real life issues that come up.

/2 WTB Character clones! Bring em back and will tip handsomely !

5 Likes

Suggestions need to be placed in a discussion forum. Classic General would probably be the best place for this. You can also use the in-game Suggestions feature.

7 Likes

Please be mindful of the dates anything more then a few weeks old isnecroing especialy if its to make a suggestion.

2 Likes