Classic WoW =/= 07 Runescape

Wow right now is at a similar stage to runescape when they dialed back the clock and rolled out classic. One topic that I’ve seen brought up multiple times is; What happens after Naxx? I feel as though this is a viable question to ask, because given enough time a large portion of the Classic community will have Naxx on farm.
One thing that 07 Runescape has done successfully is expand on the Classic content without sacrificing the Classic flavor. In addition to this, a lot of the changes made are voted upon by the community.
Is this something people would be interested in? Expanding on the Vanilla wow content with content patches instead of entirely new expansions. Keeping the level cap the same, but also introducing new content that would increase in difficulty, but still require attunements, quest chains, the correct resistances and such. Curious to see people’s opinions on this.

This video details some of the areas in vanilla wow that could be expanded on. I think it’s an interesting and well made video!

6 Likes

The problem I see with many of these promoted ideas is where they assume every player would also upgrade to these servers as if it’s a added content patch.

That’s not an acceptable path for a very big portion of us.

Promoting a game based on classic that does not replace it; that’s something I could be excited for, but just tacking on to classic WoW is not cool.

3 Likes

If the original team that designed Vanilla wow came back and where designing the unfinished areas you might have my ears. The thought of having the BFA team lead the push in new development on vanilla is like this to me.

7 Likes

This isnt a question for now IMO. This shouldnt even be considered until likely after they roll out a TBC server. At the end of the TBC content rollout the classic server would be like 5 years old, and then I could see entertaining rebooting it with new content voted on by the community IF Blizzard agreed to it.

But Jesus, they haven’t even yet delivered a classic wow yet… Lets let them prove themselves on this before we even begin to look in that direction.

The retail players are going to absolutely lose it also… assuming this is done. They are going to be furious, and every great patch “New WoW” gets they will claim comes at the expense of their version of WoW. Its going to be a total hot mess.

3 Likes

Just out of curiosity, when you hit the end game and have completed Naxx and a majority of your other goals, and the Nostalgia wears off… What’re you going to do? I love(d) classic wow, but that’s why I’m also worried. It’s hard to hold the attention of a large community without introducing any content. Imagine you played wow upon first release, the devs had just dropped patch 1.5, and then said ok, that’s all you get. I understand that classic wow is classic wow; however, I think people forget that when it was current they looked forward to things like the release of the next tier.

1 Like

That could quite likely take at least a year, if not more. That’s quite a good shelf life with no additional money put in.

Not only is it going to take a long time for players to get to Naxx, especially in significant numbers that you might want to consider adding something new, Blizzard has said that they don’t want to develop two MMOs.

Even if they hadn’t been reinforcing the idea that they don’t want to touch the gameplay at all over and over since they announced it, it’s very unlikely they would want to make new post-Naxx content.

That said while it is a discussion for a time closer to when we’ll actually be running Naxx in Classic, they could always opt for TBC and WotLK servers.

The issue I’d have (personally) w/ releasing TBC and WOTLK servers is that at this point you’re just repeating the same mistakes. All the classic players that hated flying and other features from those 2 expansions would be the same playerbase that it’s being introduced to. What happens after WoTLK? Wouldn’t it be more fun and interesting if they released ICC or BT, but in the classic mold? This would essentially keep it more true to the source content.

4 Likes

no, because TBC and Wrath don’t neccesarily have to target the same player base that likes just Vanilla.

a lot of retail players loved that wrath design. they literally get almost everything they have now.

LFD is still there.
AoE tank and spank dungeons is still there.
They get back more class flavor (not much, but still more then retail has, which doesn’t say a whole lot).

and personally - as much as i hate flying and arenas, BC was still my favorite part of the game.

1 Like

TBC and WotLK wouldn’t be released for the fans of Classic that think those expansions were a mistake. They’re still well loved expansions in their own right that could maintain their own populations.

1 Like

Is splitting the playerbase 3 and then potentially 4 ways the best option though?

1 Like

i mean for the love of god, Burning Crusade was the only time outside of Vanilla that subs saw a constant measurable growth.
Karazhan is considered one of the best raids ever released, and yeah.

Illidan

1 Like

Private servers get by just fine as far as server populations go despite having later expansions as well(apparently MoP is somewhat popular from what I hear).

and as far as Blizzard is concerned they don’t rightly care which one we play. As long as we’re subbed for $15/month, they’re fine with us playing whatever.

1 Like

your not just talking about splitting a playerbase. you would be bringing back subs too.
think about those who like BC, or Wrath, but don’t like Retail or classic and would gladly come back for either of those.
also. to be succesful all an MMO needs is about 100k people.

1 Like

So you guys don’t think it would be a good idea to expand upon the classic server to introduce elements from TBC or WoTLK? I was a fan of both of those expansions also, but incorporating experiences from those expansions into classic would create an entirely new approach upon favorite content, but with the nostalgia factor still there.

2 Likes

no, i don’t. because all you would do is annoy those who genuinely just want a classic wow experience.
leave classic alone and open up new servers for wrath and burning crusade.

and stop using that nostalgia word. people aren’t excited for classic because of nostalgia.
we are excited for classic because classic is a great game.

1 Like

This is just my opinion but I think it would be a bad idea to release multiple new games based on past expansions. You’re asking them to split their development team between multiple iterations of the game. There was recently a forum post about the problem with twinking and xp locked BGs and one really good point that was brought up was that there are too many brackets that exist for people to play in which splits up their playerbase.

Sure there are a lot of people who would enjoy TBC and Wrath servers, but the more iterations you create the more you split the playerbase. Suddenly that feeling of community everyone is craving doesnt exist anymore.

As far as post classic development, considering how vitriolic the reactions to even minor changes to Classic have been, I dont think it’s a good idea to try and add anything that wasnt a part of the original game.

The question then becomes “well what are people going to do once they finish Naxx?”

The same thing they’ve been doing on Private Servers for the past fourteen years. For anyone who truly loves classic, the game doesnt end at Naxx.

they didn’t even split the team for classic. so this is bullcrap right here.

exactly. let classic be exactly what was asked for. classic.

this guy gets it!

1 Like

This is the thing I guess I don’t understand. Classic wow is great, yes. I can agree w/ that I loved playing classic. However, when classic was current people still looked forward to the new content releasing. It wasn’t as if Molten Core was cleared and people were like “Okay, now let’s continue doing this for the next 3 years. Great time guys.” There was a demand for content afterwards. Vanilla will get stagnant even for the most devout classic fanatics. I don’t think the content that would hypothetically be added should be a carbon copy of the other expansions either. They could go in an entirely different direction. Release Karazhan, because the zone is there. Expand on the Dragon Isles, etc.

blizzard has literally already said they don’t want to be developing two mmos at once.
furthermore given blizzards recent track record with developing content for retail, do you really want them developing stuff?

private servers clearly show that people will continue to play.

and by doing so you literally piss off those who just want classic and chase them away. good job now blizzard is losing money.

1 Like