Classic WoW =/= 07 Runescape

How many people actually play on those private servers though, is it enough to truly sustain a large player base?

10,000 people on nost, which wasn’t advertised and had the obvious legality drawbacks. that was an average, not how many people total. average online.

Right. 10,000 people on a free server. People missed the FEEL of classic. This doesn’t have to be sacrificed.

You would end up annoying both the people who want an authentic Vanilla game, as well as those who wanted TBC and WotLK.

Then you’d get people asking “Why should Vanilla principles be the ones adhered to? Let’s buff up hybrids like they did in TBC! They already changed the game so it’s not true Classic anymore!”.

1 Like

but again. blizzard does not want to develop two mmos. they want to put classic out, and outside of fixing occasional issues, forget about it.
also again, according to polls online, people aren’t really in favor of new content anyway.

this too is a problem. you start modifying it and then “classic” no longer applies and you’ll get the transmog, flying, balance, etc crowd up in arms.

There will be several more classes for me to level to 60 and raid with from the ground up.

That’s years worth of content even of the most rushed player.

not to mention that for most players, just getting into naxx and clearing it will probably take a good 2-3 years.

1 Like

Bingo! and a few more words because I need to have 10 things on screen, such a dumb and ridiculous forum rule.

Personally I would be happy to hear them adding on to classic similar to Runescape, but that will never happen.

But it’s almost basically the same playerbase as Classic. A new TBC would not be bringing in new players as much as shifting players from Classic Vanilla to Classic TBC. There’s not really much money in that for Blizzard.

I’d love to see Classic WoW post content updates be polled on by the community. Old School RuneScape’s success thrives from being community driven and it’d be amazing to see Blizzard do the same with Classic.

2 Likes

130k active accounts with 13k on during peak hours of weekdays.

And just so you know, unadvertised is a big deal. That means those that played on it likely were already looking into it themselves. That means the pool of players to enjoy the content was quite small compared to what they would have if they had been an advertised Blizzard server.

And that’s another thing, many players like myself valued their current accounts too much to risk playing on a PS.

Nost, an unadvertised PS that you had to either find on your own when looking for a PS or hear from on a PS (meaning you had to actively seek PS at some point), attained that kind of membership within a year alone. This is also considering it was technically competing with older more set in PS that already formed their own base of players meaning people that did hear of it likely didn’t bother if they were already working on their characters in other PS.

I’m sorry but there is a lot of people who like classic who don’t like burning crusade and vice versa for a few reasons.

1. better class balance.
  2. arena.
  3. flying.
1 Like

I’d be fine if after Naxxramas they decided to restart the ladder again with another fresh server which is undeniably going to happen so long as Classic isn’t completely dead by their mishandling of it when the time comes.

I also wouldn’t mind if upon this reset they open an experimental server alongside where they play around with things like trying to backport some raids or something, or trying to fully flesh out the remainder of the game as it was to be, like Karazhan as a 40 man raid.

However a lot of those fights would need a lot of tweaking to remove some abilities if they did that as some boss mechanics were reliant on you having a TBC ability to answer to it. Bloodlust being a very obvious one which would ruin Classic if it were implemented.

As long as they do their experimental stuff on a server that will in zero way interact with the Blizzard sponsored Nostalrius we are getting.

Though I can tell you with certainty the novelty of such a server would wear off very quick for many people and the servers will be practically dead by comparison to just the standard version without tweaks. For something like that to succeed it requires a team at the helm that isn’t this one. Especially since as you got into later expansions when things really began being catered to the lowest quality player they’d be expected to replicate that which depending on what group they side with would alienate the other. I.E not making normal and heroic, just having a traditional single raid difficulty that is challenging at the time.

Too ambitious of an endeavor to be done correctly, too tone deaf of a team to deliver said product without it being horribly done.

My IRL friend hates the idea of Classic just simply because it’s lacking an arena system. The person you’re replying to is also being somewhat dishonest with their representation because TBC isn’t exactly successful in that vibrant world feeling. TBC was when people were starting to be divorced from the idea of existing in a world and navigating it as opposed to it just being an unnecessary hindrance to getting to their objectives.

For as great as TBC was, it was mostly propped up by spectacular raiding and while not completely balanced pvp (SL/SL warlocks and Resto Druids) it was still entertaining enough that it was an esport for a period of time in more circuits than just Blizzcon.

TBC doesn’t really do too much for you in the “Log in, run around and see if I can make some excitement today” department. Vanilla does. At best TBC would be the sideshow people raid log on, maybe play extra to get some rating farmed but unless you’re into farming normal mode dungeons, doing heroic dungeons once a day even if you don’t need them to stockpile badges, or doing daily quests for reputation and gold, there’s not really a lot for you to do. World PvP in TBC is nonexistent outside of niche fights on Elemental Plateau if someone is dismounted, then Quel’danas which isn’t a thing until 2.4.

They each have their charms. TBC has more engaging PvE and a more rewarding pvp system if you don’t have the means to ever hit rank 14 in Classic.

Classic has a more engaging world with a more free form style of pvp where you can turn bad fights into favorable ones just by having extra things you bring to the fight. The PvP isn’t all sheltered into instances that can be decided before the gates even open.

Hopefully TBC is next, then some fresh Vanilla servers?

Why is everyone stuck on needing to recreate the next expansions after classic? The way I’d envision it as if there was a patch 1.12 (Base), then 1.13, 1.14, 1.15 etc. Keeping the large majority of the base content relevant and when the new content was created it’d be tuned and carry a vanilla wow feeling. Make it as though the TBC never happened, and a new timeline began.

2 Likes

What part of blizzard does not want to run two mmos is hard to understand?

What part of we don’t trust blizzard to make changes is hard to understand?

What part of changing it opens up pandoras box to all those who want their one little change to classic is hard to understand?

What part of changing it pushes those away who just want authentic vanilla is hard to understand?

It’s like you don’t even read what people tell you.

1 Like

Yes, there are people with different preferences but Classic Vanilla is going to bring back a lot of TBC players. So a launch of Classic TBC is not going to add many more players

1 Like