Classic will fail due to layering - quote me on this in 2 months

Nah man Layering is only for queue times and overpop of starting zones duh!!! Has nothing to do with long term server pop health. Don’t you read the forums and all the anti-layering threads. Clearly layering is the worse thing in the history of the world. Even worse than Hitler.

1 Like

I predict that the OP will fail due to being diagnosed with Ligma.

will people shut up about layer in 2 months?

Probably not until its removed.

Will you? Or you will say that people didn’t left because of layering bugs/exploits and they were tourists anyway?

If you think people whine about layering too much then wait for release when they actuality experience it.

I will come and admit I was wrong if after just 2 weeks into release Blizzard didn’t tone down layering and start aggressive queuing. They will probably do it gradually (to minimize whining/shock), i.e. after say 2-3 weeks we will see how queues rise up compared to say day 7-10.

If I place my tinfoil hat, I would say that the silence about layering is because they still haven’t decided how to precisely configure/implement layering. And we may hear some update about it.

1 Like

I’ve been saying there will be a surge of population followed by a drop off since before layering was even a thing but sure, if somebody has real irrefutable proof that layering is what caused that dropoff(not just “i think it’s true so it is”) then i’ll admit to being wrong about it.

Though I expect a lot of people claiming that layering has “ruined” the game regardless of what the actual outcome is.

If you only accept hard data as a proof then you can not ask Xerrick to apologize without you having data that proves him being wrong. It goes both ways, you know.

I accept proof as proof. What I don’t accept is wild claims that X thing happened because of reasons that you have zero evidence for.

The implication of my asking if he was going to apologize was that we would have some kind of proof. I wasn’t planning on coming back in 2 months, making a post regardless of the situation, and calling him out asking him to apologize for being wrong.

Though he also didn’t give much of a straight answer as to what he considers a “failure” for Classic.

Not only would I pay $15/mo for a subscription but I would pay a full market price adjusted for inflation compared to what Vanilla was if I knew I was gonna get the same game again, warts and all.

Not everybody just hopped onto private servers. Many of us stuck around for friends, for roleplay, for PvP, or just waiting to hope the next expansion was better. We saw features or storylines being teased and thought, “Yeah, that sounds great!”

But it wasn’t. It was more of the same downward spiral trend. At the same time you don’t wanna give up on the company or the official game. It wasn’t easy for me to get rid of my old characters TBH. I deleted all my toons before I uninstalled Bnet. All of them. Even this one. Some of them I’d played on for years and accumulated memories and loot. Sometimes you just wanna fly out to your favorite zones and remember the good times. Or maybe you’re just messing around in RP in cities and only bothering to gear up enough or play to be competitive in PvP.

But eventually there comes a point where the game isn’t what you wanted anymore but you’re not ready to give up yet on the hobby. Because it used to be fun. So you get the chance to do it again and you take it. It’s not like it’s illegal to play on them and it’s not like I cared anymore with my account gone forever. What was Blizzard gonna do, really? My old account’s toons are all deleted and gone. I don’t want to play their slot machine MMO again, but I’d gladly come back if they delivered the kind of product they used to give us.

1 Like

I don’t know what classic failure is considered.

But in my book layering failure would be an explosion of layering bugs/exploits post launch. And confirmation would be increase of queue times past say day 10. Or maybe pop drop will offset the more aggressive queuing: i.e. queue times remain the same despite noticeable drop of population. It would be hard to track because one of the main phasing goals (in its different incarnations) is to mask population drop.

… Or the tinfoilish version where Blizzard comes out suddenly and say they upgraded layering to yet another “awesomeness” level. But more realistically the classic silence (including layering silence) is due to the new retail patch.

For the record: I’ve said plenty about the potential abuses of layering and argued that it absolutely needs to be addressed.

I just don’t buy into the belief that the mere existence of layering is going to ruin the game and cause it to fail, as the OP has attempted to claim.

The bugs and exploits are a legitimate thing we can point out and go “This is real. This is going to happen. This is going to cause X problem.”

The idea that it’ll ruin Classic and cause people to leave however is a case of “I don’t want it, so I feel like that should make people not play the game”.

PSA. They are deleting many threads and posts that are antilayering. Even those that do not break forum coc.

Anyone who points out what they did re: slapping a new name on sharding because the negativity scale reached its limit with that term, will likely have their posts exposing the truth deleted.
Thats what they did however. Slapped a new name on it, and almost everyone here went from a “hard no, will not play classic if it has sharding” to a “oh its a neccessary evil for the health of the game. Lets give it a chance now that its been given a new name”.
They reset everyones perception on what was happening. All with a simple change of terms from sharding to layering.
Enjoy playing besides the invisible presence of everyone else on your server. Knowing theyre all around you, except not really.
Not in any way that matters at all anyway. What a cool mmo that is. They seem to have forgotten the meaning of the first M in mmo though.

1 Like

They deleted your thread because it was spam.

2 Likes

could you point out that source, please?

and hopefully you aren’t referring the first-gen like UO or everquest. the trend between the pioneer and the second gen ( warhammer, age of conan, wildstar and co) is drastically different.

heck, just look at WoW expension / patch cycle.

Are you going to be around after two months when you’re proven wrong?

I’ll put money on no.

He will. He’ll be subbing on the 27th (26th I guess) and playing as he is proven wrong.

Likely he won’t be… as will no one else.

Classic will fail for many reasons. Layering might be one of them.

You should take your own advice where Blizzard is concerned OP. They are going to do things the way that THEY think is best. As far as your concerns about how many people play…Blizzard has reason to believe that there will still be plenty of people on launch day. But even if there isn’t and it’s less than a million players…that means that layering is gone that much sooner…so it’s a win/win for you. Or you can play other games.

Yup not touching it until layers are gone, and heck by then probably too late to bother with.

1 Like