Classic was great, BC was better

Tbc, ruined the 1- 60 experience. 30% more xp. Higher mana regen. Got rid of almost all elites. Dranei and bloodelf starting area’s gave much better loot and xp.

Outland became a themepark, Quest hub to quest hub to quest hub. Insanely good gear rewards. everyone looked the same within there respective armor type. Dungeons were small and didn’t give a sense of adventure.
Mana was almost not a problem annymore on 60 - 70.

2 Likes

Leveling did take a hit in quality, but the endgame raids were much better as well as a skill based PvP ladder. It was a disappointment how linear questing and dungeons became.

Oh my, this thread is really old.

Please note the november start date.

I had no idea this was a necro

BC was the best version of wow imo, super fun to play but fixed most of the glaring issues with vanilla.

More depth how? TBC has started with homogenization where every class can do everything and pure DPS classes were thrown into a massive disadvantage.

PvP ladder was based only on how much resilience you could acquire on your gear. More resilience = you win.

Raids were also smaller. And I chuckle every time people refer to scripted timers as “advanced mechanics” while completely forgetting about the fact that preparation to the raids was thrown out of the window and no resistances mattered anymore as well as general utility of the classes.

Which are… ?

1 Like

Classic is not Vanilla.

Vanilla was better than BC.

1 Like

vanilla was better than classic

2 Likes

Probably not even close. I remember i went until the quest where you do Simon Says on the coloured lights stopped giving rep or stopped being best way or whatever, as soon as it required a daily group quest for an elite i gave up.

I still have the notebook full of…
Etc.

Um no.

1. Hybrids still paid performance tax for their versatility. Therewas also a ton of depth to the specs, example: making a soul link Felguard spec work in T6 raids (i.e. solving Najentus’ bubbles in BT, being able to deal three types of damage: physical, shadow, fire, for insane versatility and sustain)
  2. You still needed resist sets in BC (as a Warlock at the time, Leotheras in SSC jumps immediately to mind),
  3. You still needed to prepare for raids (the ZA timed run was pretty hard until T6 raids opened up), and Archimonde couldn’t be reliably farmed until WotLK.
  4. Issues like the massive tank shortage, enh. Shamans running around one-shotting everyone in BG’s, etc.

The only thing you’re correct about was arena and resilience stacking, particularly in S1.

Vanilla was best at the L1-60 content. TBC was best at the L61-70 content.
edit: TBC diminished the L1-60 content.

3 Likes

“Quotes dwite from office”
False BC just offered story to classic.

Literally just posting here to keep this dumpster fire of a thread alive

:grinning:

1 Like

Both TBC and Vanilla had their ups and downs.

World PvP was more fun in Vanilla, I will never deny that. I cannot remember ever doing that in TBC, but remember lots of time in Vanilla. I hated Arena with a passion.

I loved a lot of dungeons in Vanilla, but I much preferred class design in TBC. Prot Warriors, Prot Paladins and Feral Druids did tanking differently, but we all could tank dungeons just fine. In raids, we had a role we could do just fine and often, all three were needed. Karazahn showed that the best. Karazahn is still my favorite raid in the game.

Profession progression was way too fractured in Vanilla. Even with trying to keep it up as I leveled, I often outleveled an area before my herbalism/enchanting matched my level. It made for a really annoying time with professions. That was much easier to keep up in TBC. However, the vast majority of enchants were a lot more interesting in Vanilla than TBC.

Actual zone design is a harder decision to make on which is better. Stonetalon appeals to me a lot since I grew up in mountains a lot like them. However, the way some of the areas in TBC look and work were amazing…, and some of them were utter garbage. That is one area where I call it even.

The only thing that makes me want to play TBC more than Vanilla is class design. If it was not for that, I would be okay for either.

Eh? In what way? DPS numbers were equalized and classes that had an ability to heal themselves had a massive advantage.

Resistances made it easier but weren’t really needed. FR enchants were enough, dedicated gear wasn’t really needed as healers had no issues to keep up.

Timed run is a special case.

What do you mean? He was dead literally every week when we bothered to go to the CoT at all.

Massive shortage of tanks? You didn’t need many of them in the first place. The only time when a couple new tanks were recruited in my guild was Naxx.

Enhancement Shamans aren’t a good example. It was a slot machine of doom, he’s either going to one shot you or run out of mana. Pre-revamp balance druids were the real one shot machines. But it really doesn’t matter as the diverse class design without a clear separation between PvP and PvE would never allow for total balance and it really doesn’t matter in an RPG.

In TBC Blizzard has decided that PvP and PvE should be separate and you could no longer participate in any PvP while wearing any PvE gear as you wouldn’t have any resilience. However, at the same Blizzard started to mess with PvE to balance out the bloody arenas.

I absolutely loved TBC, but I don’t think I’d say it was better than vanilla. You say streamlined for a better experience, but it also created the unrealistic expectation that levels would increase, new areas would become available, gear would deliver more power, more talents would make our characters stronger.

Imagine a vanilla in which, instead of an expansion completely pulling the rug out, Blizzard had spent time fine-tuning talents and gear so more class / role options played well, added more dungeons at every level, beefed up every zone with more quests, added more raids, all without destroying the meaning of 1-60 except as a necessary chore before doing 61-70, 71-80, 81-85, 86-90, etc.

I loved flying in Outland. It was written from the ground up for it. Flying wasn’t insta-310% speed boost. My son loved the number of BGs and doing Arenas in TBC. I loved having paladins on Horde and shaman on Alliance, since they weren’t really equivalent classes. I loved the added profession of JCing making the original stuff like Malachite has more use, and Transcription giving a way to do enchants without being in the same place in a crafting window.

BUT, there were ways things like that could have been implemented that didn’t gradually eat away at what made vanilla great. (Or not. As the road not taken, I can only speculate.)

3 Likes

That’s actually false…

There was no such thing as a hybrid tax; the truth was you had to focus your stats if you wanted to do a specific role.

Example, hybrids who chose to heal used +healing gear, not +spell-damage and healing gear, because +healing only was far more potent.

This gimped their ability to deal damage. Guess what? This same situation and choice was made by priests who were a pure class by the standards of the day.

You would be gimp when trying to deal damage with +healing gear if you were a priest, but if you quipped + damage gear then you would nerf your own healing.

The same situation was present for hybrid DPS builds. Speaking of; there was a certain paladin on my server who was also in the same guild as me. He was regularly in the top 10 in damage, but he did use a lot of rogue / warrior gear to accomplish that feat.

We did not mind because he both participated regularly, knew how to use his mana in the ways that a paladin should, and was quick with the tools that his class brought.

Did he heal? no, his gear did not give him a whole lot of wiggle room there, but his damage was decent, and his utility was epic.

Inscription was WotLK–just fyi.

1 Like

yup, that’s a fact.

Ah, right. TBC got mana addicts who got a bonus to enchanting. Mixed those up.