Classic was great, BC was better

My biggest issue with TBC will always be aesthetics. I disliked the majority of the zones (Nagrand being the only real exception) and hated the forced sci-if motif.

The rep grinding felt annoying, the attaining surprisingly felt worse than in WoW, and it seemed like they really jumped the shark from Azeroth to “holy crap here comes the burning crusade!”

Personally, I would have loved WotLK with Classic/Some TBC design choices much more.

1 Like

I can agree with the OP on this!!! Classic was great and tbc only added to that greatness!!!

3 Likes

This.

2 Likes

TBC was the only expansion that I wasn’t deeply disappointed with. Was I thrilled with all the choices they made? Of course not, but it was the only expansion that I felt added as much, or nearly as much, as it removed. If I could have made a change to BC, it would have been to add heroic versions of all vanilla dungeons.

3 Likes

I couldn’t put my finger on it, but when my wife to be made my temporary hiatus permanent early on in TBC, I wasn’t exactly pissed. I think it was flying and the reduced raid size.

That and with server transfers left and right, the servers felt … not the same.

2 Likes

Phasing has a LOT of potential. Emphasis on potential, as they seem to still be struggling to work out an implementation that isn’t horrible. Sharding to a large extent also has the same problem, although the Sharding issue seems to be more linked with the scope & scale at which it is impacting things and players. Where the scope is often bizarre, and the scale often leaves a lot to be desired. Regardless, neither tech should be presenting themselves in Classic WoW except maybe during the initial population spike in the starting zones.

I like BC too, ranked arenas were a problem and since it was the first time they tried out dailies those were less than ideal due to blizzard figuring out a sweet spot on how they should work.

But I actually loved flying BC. Outland was built with it in mind though and it wasnt merely an after thought.

I also think the classes were the best there were then with everyone being able ti do everything but still keeping the classic design and play philosophy.

Never raided in BC except for a few kara kills though. But I do not lament the loss of the crappiness of 40 man raids.

TBC was utter trash. I cant understand why anyone liked it. It sucked until Karazhan, and it was all downhill from there. TBC was a bell curve made of sheer mediocrity. I played it for about eight months and wanted to quit after like three, and probably would have if it wasnt for my friends. Cleared SSC and decided I couldnt stomach any more, and didnt come back until Wrath’s launch.

If it wasnt for WoD and BFA, TBC would be the worst expansion by far.

2 Likes

you are in the vast vast minority with this opinion.

7 Likes

The opinion that TBC was bad, or the opinion that Classic blew it out of the water in virtually every way?

i’ll leave that to you to guess.

1 Like

quite honestly i had a breakdown at the beginning of bc and couldnt raid or do much but level alts for people and myself.

so i missed the best parts of tbc one of which was raiding. they say they hit a sweet spot in tbc with raids. i hope after vanilla they add tbc servers you can copy you character to a tbc server and still have a copy of your classic character on your classic server too.

2 Likes

LOL, no. Big wall of no.

1 Like

It was better in your opinion.

1 Like

sooooo…

no flying.
larger raid sizes.
no resilience.

problem solved?

i adored tbc. loved flying. loved zangarmarsh, nagrand and netherstorm. loved the new races and their starting zones. loved the music, dungeons and raids. great quest chains, such as some very memorable ones in netherstorm. loved the scifi feel. the brilliant colors. some of the most iconic gear and the vanilla areas were all still vanilla.

imo, it was the best.

3 Likes

Exactly, this is what I wish would have happened. We can only hope classic has some success, so they can release the ultimate version of WoW.

1 Like

to this day, i haven’t fully finished outlands. for example, i have never finished the ogri’la faction grind. i have never maxxed out scryers. never maxxed out jewelry making. i’m still finding quests in outlands that i have never done before. there was so much to do between the two (vanilla and bc) that i could stay busy non-stop.

1 Like

Absolutely right. There was a huge faction inbalance that was corrected by allowing paladins and shamans in the other faction. That was very good. Dungeons were still very hard, basically harder than Classic at the end (with end-game BT gear it was harder to run TBC dungeons in Heroic mode like Ramparts than it was to run Scholo with AQ40/BWL gear - only mentioning farmable raids here).
But to the real thing:
Druid tanks, Druid healers, Paladin Tanks and healers, Shaman healers, etc. They worked. No “gimped” holy priest or “gimped” Warrior tank.
I personally played a RShammy and played with a Prot Pally and we did regularly ALL TBC dungeons in Heroic (paladin tanks were the best tank for Ramparts, BTW). I raided on par with all other healers, all had their ninche:

• In the Council BT fight, I healed the raid with chain heal while a RDruid took care of the powerful DOT of one of the boss in a random raid member and priests took care of the tanks.
    Also, we had DIFFERENT healing styles that worked.
    In Mechanar, at the entrance a huge robot had a powerful AOE attack followed by a tank nuke.
    On my PRiest: Bubble the tank and PoH the Group x 2
    On my Shammy: Earth Shock the Tank nuke and Grounding Totem the Group nuke, followed by some chain heals.
    That was absolutely fantastic, the antithesis of prunning coupled with true spec identity.
    Please, believe me, I lived all this.
2 Likes

it’s just too bad we cant have lower res versions of the heritage armors from retail. they are so iconic and really belonged in the game from the beginning / or in the case of the new tbc races, since the beginning of tbc. i mean have you seen the belf heritage gear?