Classic+ thoughts

I played a bit in Classic, enough to level a couple of toons to around 40 but I sort of ran out of steam and the game just didn’t feature enough content for my very casual playstyle. I dont do large organised raiding and found it difficult to get into dungeons as I was later to the game. So I wondered what might tempt me back.

For me, it would be the reworking of Classic into Classic+ with the kind of content that would make it difficult to resist.

An example for me would be player housing. The devs seem disinclined to do it in retail (at least for foreseeable future) but housing was being developed way back in Vanilla but was cancelled, likely due to the difficulty of doing it at that early stage of gaming software and server structure. Now that problem doesn’t exist and perhaps the devs would be more interested in doing it in a way that would not deprive retail players of a tier (as Ion mentioned).

They could reinstate the old housing entrances in Stormwind, add more to cities across the world and give players a home or homes they could work on. Classic+ professions could be expanded to include housing items and housing item drops could be added to loot tables, chest, random mob drops, etc.

It would be an activity for those who like such casual content and aren’t up to the structured gaming of raiding and other higher level content.

So if they did make a Classic+ which extra content, beit housing or new areas or new dungeons or raids or other additions, perhaps working on some of the things datamined from the old days but never carried through, would you try it or return to it?

Me, if they did player housing I’d probably do myself damage getting to my credit card to upgrade my sub… :sunglasses:

if they made Classic+ they’d have to charge for it separately since they’d commit development resources to it.

I dont see that. Any cost involved would be easily recouped by a lot of new subs. I think you underestimate how many people would return and sub to play it. But its not a matter of whether I think it would pay for itself. My quest was, would you (the general ‘you’) return to play it if it was available.

And Im assuming ‘available’ would be in the same way Classic is available now.

2 Likes

You barely played and want to suggest changes…not sure this is the best backing of credibility. There is far less guarantee that someone who barely played before will play again versus someone that played the entire time and still plays.

1 Like

Focus on the ideas not the individual.
Explain what you believe is unworkable, if that is your position, or provide suggestions/counters of your own.

Their proposals would help them and perhaps others with engagement so they would stay and play longer. I’m a nerdy dork and fairly happy that Classic is even available so I’m playing regardless of new/additional added content but I’d check out the new stuff if available.

I am unhappy about certain things being taken away but that’s a whole 'nother thread.

I would see it more of releasing it as som2, but keeping people on there and adding things to it eventually as one adds mini-story packs to a game that is already out. They already have heroic modes for raids and adding new retro raids would be a good step, but the key part would be adding new items which don’t make the older raids redundant.

The problem for me is that unless you fully play the game, you can’t understand what “full time” players want. The people that remain in the game over months are the people that should drive the changes, as they know why other people quit over time and how to get new people into the game.

Like no SOM player gives a crap about player housing. That isn’t going to change the state of SOM IN THE SLIGHTEST.

only way i am coming back to classic + is if they also release the Kanto region for after we beat the initial content

Bro… players housing? This is a cash grab, they arent going to be making content that is absolutely new to WoW in general for classic come on

I heard for Dragonflight they’re giving them a new broken endless grind that isn’t alt friendly, but in Classic + we get the fixed version of it

And there was a person (the OP) that quit over time and they made a suggestion about how they thought people would be able to reconnect/get into the game. Ion had an interview recently soliciting ideas. He didn’t qualify that by saying “only full time players kthxbye”. But you are welcome to ignore others suggestions or mute the thread if the discussion bothers you.

This is an interesting idea.
Let me ask something to elaborate on it. Would it be a non-starter to include things like player housing as a “value added” service (ie on the shop)? That way if people don’t care about it they would not have to purchase or need to access it? I don’t agree with that way of thinking but perhaps Blizzard would be more receptive if they could monetize it and recoup their development investment.

The reason I ask is that other games that do charge a subscription fee make housing options available in their shops (LotRO is the example I am thinking of - they used to charge a sub but I have lifetime access so I’ve never paid a monthly fee so not sure if that fee still exists). However that game puts in the housing area as a part of the game yet has an in game way to purchase/access it AND charges upkeep on a weekly basis (again for in game currency). Would this be something that’s acceptable to someone that wants player housing in the game? I don’t have a problem with that and since they seem to always be on the lookout for gold sinks it might be something Blizz could work with.

Oh Im sorry, do I have to prove extended playtime to have ideas about what might make me play more? How about you consider my ideas and not me personally because that’s just narrowminded thinking right there.

I agree that development resources shouldnt be monopolized by the raiding community. Non-Raid means for players to meaningfully increase their power/influence on the world is intriguing territory but likely needs to be tread carefully. Player Housing could be a source of such means. It could also encourage open-world play, participation of the crafting professions, and/or collector communities.

1 Like

If you quit classic at level 40 then classic + won’t appeal to you either regardless if you get a silly player house or not.

So it doesn’t appeal to you.
OP has clearly stated it does to them and

So that would be a reason that they would reconnect with the game and play.
There can be other features to a Plus added to Classic but the OP used housing as an example. Did you read their complete post?

See? Not just “silly” housing.

I guess you didn’t bother to read all my post, which I notice a lot of people on these forums have a habit of doing. Just cherrypick something you can insult or put down and go with that.

So your opinion is valueless to me because it isn’t an opinion, its a textual sneer.

If I’m on a “classic+ ideas” thread and the first thing they say is that they didn’t play much classic at all and then the next thing they say is they want some WODlike garrison feature, why would I waste my time reading anymore. Player housing has no place in classic. Also seeing as you didn’t even enjoy classic why even pitch ideas?

And yet, as I said, the plans to introduce player housing were there in early vanilla. You could even see the entrance to what would be player housing. The portal on the wall in Storwind at the end of the canal was suggested as an entrance to player housing, and there were also barred gates at various places that could be partly entered.

Many people (players and content creators) have suggested the inclusion of planned material from vanilla into Classic+. Things like Hyjal which was almost completed as a zone during Vanilla and the Azshara Crater battleground. There have been other ideas under development before or during Vanilla WoW which were never completed, though I understand some stuff was fairly well along.

Player housing has zero to do with garrisons so feel free not read anymore if that is what you think I am talking about. And I will continue to offer ideas because everyone here is entitled to do that, despite what you believe.

Yet they didn’t release this apparently planned player housing in classic, nor in tbc or wotlk. They didn’t release anything resembling player housing until WOD garrisons and although you claim it isn’t similar, it was the first instance of a personal homestead in game and it turned out to be a complete flop.

Which draws me back to why on earth we would want another version of garrisons in our classic game when it clearly was a terrible idea when it was released in retail. And now another retail player who has played less than a quarter of the content is coming in proposing ideas on how classic plus should be with retail features that almost the entirety of the classic communtiy hated.

I’m open to people’s different opinions, if they are actually apart of the classic community. I’m not open to someone’s opinion that has barely partaken in the classic game and thinks for some reason they are entitled to call shots on how the game should roll out.

No, really? Could this be why I suggested putting it into a theoretical Classic+? Along with other things drawn from at least partially developed items from the time?

And anyone who compares garrisons to player housing has lost the argument because as anyone who know anything about player housing can tell you, they have zero in common.

And you continue to harp on the “you didn’t play it for X amount of time so your opinion is worthless”. At this point it’s obvious you cannot see what I am trying to say and just want to put down ideas for the sake of it. So I’ll leave you to that because I have no interest in discussing it with you further. I like considering all viewpoints but yours is so negative its hardly worth the effort.