Classic TBC benefit for WoW Classic

You can have my stuff if they don’t release till 2022. Do I get yours if they drop it in 2021?

I can see them dropping it in 20201 just October -december but no i don’t want your stuff. see you in TBC in 2022 XD.

No, Classic was released with the premise that it would AROUND forever, no matter how few people played. Blizzard also, at the time, did not think that Classic would draw in that big a crowd, as reflected by the small number of servers they had during name reservations.

And even at the time, there were people who were arguing for the ‘Classic Trilogy’, comprising the most popular time in the game’s lifetime. For many people who came back to classic, vanilla was, and always has been, a stepping stone to the part of the game they enjoyed most.

Why is it more likely for progression, rather than a museum piece? Because not progressing would literally be leaving free money on the table.

See, with progression to TBC and having a few ‘stasis’ servers, they can keep their stated goal of having a museum piece and their actual goal of having a hammer to smite IP thieves, while still making lots of money. Money they would not be getting if the servers stagnated and died.

Why progression instead of just copy-pasting to new TBC servers? Because the majority of Classic players aren’t going to hang around in vanilla when TBC is around. They’re going to go to new content, because the other way is stagnation, which is just a fancy word for ‘slow death’. So they would be wasting money on dead servers that have populations too spread out to actually get a raiding scene together.

Why progression instead of ‘fresh’ servers? Because most Classic players don’t want to relevel their characters from level 1 just to go through the Dark Portal. They want to carry on the characters they already have, with the gear they’ve won, just as they did back in the day.

Progression best serves existing communities. Progression best serves the majority of Classic players. Progression best serves Blizzard’s bottom line.

Would I expect to progress to WotLK after TBC? Hell yes, I would. People have been talking about the ‘Classic Trilogy’ since before Classic came out.

What about progressing to Cata? Well, now we have some discussions. Cata is the pivot to a very different style of gameplay in WoW. I still say that Deathwing is the best thing to ever happen to Kalimdor, and that’s a hill I’m willing to die on, but a LOT of things changed with that expansion.

Personally, I would like to see the Classic Trilogy completed, in hopes of giving Blizzard time to relearn how to make good games, and then see that as a good branching off point for a WoW 2, where instead of Deathwing starting the Cataclysm, some other event happens, which pushes the lore in a different direction, and they continue development with the older style of game design.

Of course, I would also be fine progressing through Cata and Mists, as I had a craptacular internet connection at the time and a computer that could barely handle SFK, much less raiding, so being able to progress through Firelands and Isle of Thunder would be awesome.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t mind seeing the direction of a new game but figure with blizzard as it is now they won’t be able to handle a unique new game in the mmo line, too much call for profit over quality now. It would probably end up crashing and burning like eq2.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone questions that tbc is coming the question is how long will blizzard draw the trilogy out and from where im sitting the answer is “as long as humanly possible” with a side of “we dont even have to finish if we can get them back on retail.”

All the people saying BC won’t ever be released or not until 2022 will deny they ever said it if they’re wrong. They’ll just figure no one will spend the time looking for and linking the nonsense they posted a year ago and they’re probably right about that. Even though they’re wrong about everything else.

1 Like

If it drops before october 2021 feel free to call me out next year but I honestly don’t see it happening. While i hope it does come fast I also hope they take the time to overhaul the game with changes that makes sense.

Nah. It’ll be rushed and buggy but hopefully mirrors tbc patch progression instead of late version like we got for classic.

This is inaccurate. A survey is something. Particularly one with no “don’t release TBC realms” option.

It is true that they have not said “we’re going to release BC realms,” but you’re gloating decidedly prematurely.

Not that I know why “no one gets BC” inspires you to gloat to begin with.

I think they’ll release BC realms, but this is not a good argument. That money was there and ignored by Blizzard for over a decade. I first started commenting “it would make financial sense for Blizzard to release realms for previous versions of the game” when WotLK was current. Don’t underestimate how much Blizzard is willing to sabotage their own bottom line for their “surely no one really wants that old stuff!” ego.

1 Like

They didn’t think that money was there. They made an incorrect guess. I wanted them to release Classic, and BC and wrath but I was completely surprised at classic’s huge success. My guess was wrong too. Now they know that BC is very likely to be as big a success as classic. The story has changed.

A limited survey to some players is not the same thing as an actual statement, companies including Blizzard use surveys to gauge data that is never actually utilized all the time. Data in itself holds a lot of value.

Blizzard mentioned nothing about classic in its latest quarterly report let alone TBC. The only things Blizzard mentioned about the future of Warcraft going into future quarters were Shadowlands and Shadowlands pre-orders.

TBC is not something they would be hiding from their shareholders, and classic isn’t even worth mentioning to their shareholders apparently. It just shows their business mindset and people don’t seem to understand that a minor increase in revenue is insubstantial to maintaining investor confidence in the future of Warcraft.

All we can do is guess. But I’m in the camp that will only play classic and will not go to tbc. The game won’t die, p servers showed that years ago.

You’re living in complete denial if you think Blizz will leave that TBC money on the table.

Classic probably won’t die, but it’ll be a struggle. If i’d have to guess, i’d say 90% of the classic population is going to TBC if/when we get it. Probably will barely be enough people to maintain one of each server type.

And how many would stick around if we don’t?

Classic WoW, in a vacuum, has an expiration date for me. No BC, means no more sub once I hit that point.

There’s no reason they should touch Classic WoW servers.

A lot of people playing Classic WoW don’t like or won’t play TBC.

Copying characters to TBC servers is the only real answer.

Seems like people want to force everyone to play TBC. Or hope Blizzard forces everyone to play it.

No one cares about your Blood Elf reroll, trash expansion that isn’t even better than retail. In fact, Retail is the same game as TBC but better.

Does that sound like TBC is popular?

1 Like

Maybe but after the first few months once people are just raid logging and doing weekly arena they will play both. About half my guild plays retail when our raids are done so I expect they will play TBC then raid log/ arena on both TBC and classic maybe even retail all at the same time. If we do end up with retail classic and something that ends in WOTLK that would be 3 wow to play on one sub how awesome.

I don’t know why people think Classic won’t be around if/when TBC comes. There will still be Classic servers. There might be fewer of them, but they’ll still be here. Y’all need to stop panicking over nothing.

I know it will be here.

But they shouldn’t force people to drag their characters to TBC if they don’t want to.

You want to play The Horde Crusade. People should have the option to copy their characters, not forced to be a part of something they don’t want to play.