Classic Raiding Difficulty

Where will Classic stand in terms of difficulty when compared to retail raiding? Harder than Normal but easier than Heroic or harder than both OR easier than both Normal and Heroic?

Also how much of a role will the 8/16 debuff slots play in the difficulty?

2 Likes

Easier in every sense till later parts of AQ40 trash packs. Probably.

Not as much as everyone screaming on the forums will have you believe.

11 Likes

Personally I’m of the belief that Vanilla raid weren’t hard so much as they were just hard to do. Meaning, yes if you have all the consumables you need, if you got all forty raid members to show, and all the right buffs before hand you’re not gonna have a particularly grueling time. It’s just the logistics of getting to that point that makes them “Hard” in some people’s minds.

As for the debuffs, it certainly makes some fights way easier but I never properly raided DURING vanilla so I can’t speak for how much of an impact it’ll make.

9 Likes

Mechanics were easier. Herding 40 cats and getting them to all show up on time, darn near impossible.

23 Likes

I heard feral wasnt viable :wink:

11 Likes

Classic raiding will not actually be mechanically “challenging” until BWL. Even then, it’s only Razorgore and Nefarian that have more than 1-2 mechanics.

The primary difficulty to classic raiding will be logistics (warm bodies, attunements, and consumables) and gear. Raiding in Classic isn’t like modern WoW where there are “seasons” with catch-up gear. You will need to be pretty decked out in the previous tier’s gear to match some fight’s DPS checks.

7 Likes

“Carlos!”

2 Likes

If running dry on consumables, maybe. The moment you introduce consumables all games dps checks are easy to overcome at just about any tier.

1 Like

I think it will be easier because we know what to do… That may only apply to the hardcore raids though. All it takes is one person to not move out during baron geddon to cause a wipe. I think the difficulty factor will come in the form of people getting used to 40 man raiding again.

4 Likes

Yeah, sure we know the fights and all that Jazz but human error is never going away. No matter how confident you feel, someone will screw up, it’s just a matter of when and how.

1 Like

Clarification: the average player will need to be pretty decked in the previous tier’s gear.

Don’t act like running dry on consumables was a maybe, with how expensive and highly contested certain mats were you were assuredly going to run out of consumables, and frequently.

Yeah thats why I brought up the bomb on geddon. One person stands too close to other people on Ony and a group can die to conflag. People don’t stop dps on Garr and he blows up the raid. Any number of things can cause wipes in vanilla.

3 Likes

Outside of black lotus, everything was plentiful enough, scrolls not withstanding.

According to private servers Hunters are not viable, but ya know… Private servers…

2 Likes

That’s why my main will be able to make its own food and my second 60 will make all my potions.

“Hold on guys the locks need to go farm for an hour.”

3 Likes

Hunters and feral are viable. I don’t know what pserver players said they aren’t. They both provide nice buffs. Hunters are needed to tranq shot/trueshot aura/kite certain encounters. Ferals can offtank and provide a crit buff/BR/Innervate.

1 Like

Yeah, not really sure what that’s supposed to imply.
Your raid really pops healthstones every two seconds to drain your warlocks or something? Sounds like a personal issue.

1 Like

According to private servers only warriors are viable