Classic PvP Content Plan

Sounds not so great…

Awesome. Thanks Bornak!

Now, if only we can work past our present day mindsets so we may have a good fight on our hands instead of whatever… safe spaces… having a forced PvE/elective PvP environment has created for people and then dealing with being ganked/griefed and misuse the report system

1 Like

It would be nearly impossible to grind R14 without BG’s and the Bg’s are coming out around the same time as BWL and etc so its about equivalent to just before AQ40/bwl so it’s not going to impact much especially seeing as the gear doesnt lend itself to well to PvE

This isn’t correct; it is very possible to obtain high ranks without battlegrounds.
In vanilla, your rank depends on the total honor in the pool for each week for your faction as well as the ranks of other the players in this pool. The total honor in the pool in phase two will be significantly less than the amount of honor in the pool after battlegrounds are released.

As long as you are active in world PvP in phase two, you will be able to gain rank much easier since people can’t run premades for 16 hours a day and collect additional honor from a battleground and inflate the total honor each week.

EDIT: Also, there are a plethora of examples of PvP gear that are good for PvE in vanilla. This will undoubtedly influence progression, even for players that don’t get past rank 10 and only have access to the blue PvP set items. Check out the updated rank 13 warrior shoulders compared to the T2.5 warrior shoulders (Warlord’s Plate Shoulders vs Conquerer’s Spaulders).

2 Likes

DHKs were removed from the game in TBC though. Not Vanilla.

1 Like

There is a 10 character requirement to make a post. The cocktail is like a signature for me but also ensures I meet that requirement.

:cocktail:

1 Like

I thought I was the only person who lived for pvp but hated pvp servers lol. Consent is awesome!

I can (sort of) understand some concerns around the timing of the release of PVP weapons as against the timing of the release of BWL but I don’t think it will be a big deal at all. There might be a handful of people at best with this gear.

What I don’t understand is people asking for structural changes to the honour system. Stop asking to remove dishonourable kills. Stop whinging that it’s too hard to get rank. Stop moaning that it’s a big time investment. Seriously, this is what vanilla wow was all about. If you don’t want it, don’t play it. Go and play retail or wait for WC3 reforged. But don’t ask for changes to make it easier for you to play such that it’s to the detriment of others that want to relive the OG experience.

2 Likes

It’s a PVP SERVER. That is part of it. Pve is ---->> thataway.

I’m sorry but asking for DHKs to be removed or the NPCs that give them to be made immune, is basically cowardice. Something akin to “I want to be able to devastate a town belonging to the opposing faction, but I don’t want to suffer any potential consequences for killing a civilian, even if it was on accident.”

4 Likes

When I played vanilla I was a pretty strong pvper and hit Rank 11 on my flag carrying Druid. I purposely never raided capital cities because I was deathly afraid of dks. I’m not sure what the best solution is for modifying the dk system and I’d be fine with leaving it in (I just won’t raid capitals while I’m grinding bgs). But it severely hampers someone’s motivation to raid capitals or contested zones which I do not believe is healthy.

Camping quest givers can be prevented via normal pvp. Get a high level guildie to kill said griefer or level elsewhere. Though I do recognize that is not ideal.

DHKs, did take away some motivation from some people to fight in lowbie quest hubs yes, but they made it a risk/reward system. Not that the risk mattered to the players who just wanted to grief, but it did to those trying to rank. Basically you risked accidentally killing a civilian target, and potentially sitting their killing this quest hub for nothing, to be rewarded with a high lvl player coming to fight you and potentially earning you some honor. Or a free camp.

And for those of you who think DHKs were remove in BC because “they added nothing to the game” need to stop and think. They completely changed how the honor system worked in BC. There were no more pvp ranks. Ranks that were based on all the honor gained on your entire faction on your server. If there are no more ranks that compare your honor gain to everyone else’s, and honor is just a way to buy gear… why do you need a way to lose honor?

The irony of this statement is staggering.

Basically:

I’m sorry but asking for DHKs to be enabled or causing murder of the NPCs that give them to be punished, is basically cowardice. Something akin to “I want to be able to not have my town attack-able, and I don’t want to suffer any potential consequences for choosing to play a game where my NPCs are threatened by the enemy, even if it was on accident, despite the fact that a PVP solution exists.

Wanting a system in place to discourage that which players themselves have tools to combat is the very definition of “cowardice” and carebear.

Lowbie quest hubs:
Stormwind
Undercity
Orgrimar
Ironforge
Thunder Bluff
Places where huge honor can be had via killing the city leader. Perhaps civilians should not exist in areas where a) there is a readily available PVP solution, and b) where specific honor raid targets exist. The latter is as asinine as would be putting “civilian” mobs in raid content, that killing would remove vast amounts of items/gold.

2 Likes

I would strongly consider allowing past version of av to be queue able. I feel that pre 1.12 is what classic av is and I don’t see the harm in having both version for players.

1 Like

You guys hyping on this launch are all forgetting PVP Honor system was SUPPOS E To be in game at launch but they hadn’t finished it yet. This game was big on PvP and had an intention to launch more PvP systems at launch. There should be an honor system at launch IMO, which is the way classic was originally intended.

I don’t mind waiting until phase 2 but thats Months and months down the road, who knows how long each phase is? Do you really want to not have a PvP honor system for 6 months, etc? I certainly do not. I love real world pvP and not having battlegrounds out makes it even more fun because you can’t form pre-made battlegrounds to grind honor and real world PvP is relevant.

I don’t understand why people wouldn’t want the honor system out earlier.

They also wanted to make paladin tanks viable. What blizzard intended doesn’t matter. What matters is what happened in Vanilla and that being faithfully restored.

1 Like

I will be guarding the flag in stealth. We will never win an AB but at least we’ll have Stables. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hello, I would encourage you to go look at the loot tables for Rag and Nefarion and then compare them to rank 14 weapons before making statements like this.

1 Like

Ok. Let’s do just that. :slight_smile:

Here is the weapon from Ragnaros:

Here is the rank 14 weapon:

Grand Marshal’s Claymore
Item Level 78
Binds when picked up

Two-Hand Sword

235 - 353 Damage Speed 3.80

(77.37 damage per second)
+26 Strength
+41 Stamina
Durability 120 / 120

Requires Level 60
Equip: [Improves your chance to get a critical strike by 1%.]

Bonereaver’s Edge
Item Level 77
Binds when picked up

Two-Hand Sword

206 - 310 Damage Speed 3.40

(75.88 damage per second)
+16 Stamina
Durability 120 / 120

Requires Level 60
Chance on hit: Your attacks ignore 700 of your enemies’ armor for 10 sec. This effect stacks up to 3 times.
Equip: [Improves your chance to get a critical strike by 1%.]

Bonereaver’s edge allows you to ignore 2100 armor… rank 14 item doesnt.

I disagree with most of what you wrote here.

First, I believe you don’t understand the math on how the ranking system in vanilla actually works. If phase two lasts 6 months, there will be 12 weeks where several people could qualify to get rank 14 before BWL is released, let alone how many people will be able to get rank 12 at the least. This gear greatly outscales anything else available in the same phase; most of it can last you through AQ40, and arguably Naxx, depending on your class.

Additionally, I encourage you to look at the differences between the updated blue PvP gear and the pre-update versions; most items were drastically changed and outscale many other pre-raid alternatives in phase 2, especially when considering the 1.10 tables won’t be implemented until phase 5.

As for your last statement, I think you underestimate the hardcore scene greatly; the exact thing you are claiming is inefficient is actually the most efficient method to accelerate progression.