Classic PvP Content Plan

Compare Perdition’s Blade to the one handed rank 14 weapons, and then compare the tier gear and armor drops to the rank 12 and 13 armor. Bonereaver’s edge is the exception to the rule because Blizzard stated it will have the 1.12 proc on launch.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind how rare BRE is; one could argue it’s easier to rank up and have access to rank 14 weapons than it is to even see it drop in MC and then also be the player that is lucky enough to get it in a 40 man raid setting. The drop rate is very low.

I don’t think there will be a large hardcore scene in Classic especially on NA or OCE. Why? Because of the dynamics.

A majority of Classic WoW players will be older. 26-30 would the age range I’d guess. People in those ranges are either a few things. Working + In school or graduate school + having a family.

So who is left to be a “hardcore” player? Well the hardcore EU players are people who play 16+ hours a day. Let’s take a look at some countries:

Greece - 18% unemployment rate.
Spain - 14% unemployment rate.
Italy - 10% unemployment rate
France - 8%

The others float around 5-6%. Meanwhile the US has a 3.8% unemployment rate. The US also averages less vacation than EU.

So… who exactly is able to put in 16 hours a day? People who are unemployed. People who are streamers. Folks who work from home and don’t have a demanding job. Retired folks.

So you have a good portion of people who can stay home and play 16 hours a day. But do those people also have other obligations? Family?

The people who are going to get rank 14 for the first round in that phase 2 are going to be people who have absolutely no outside obligations other than World of Warcraft.

One could argue it but one would be wrong. Relax, R14 is a very difficult hill to climb. Besides if you think it is easy, you could rank up yourself and claim the advantage.

It’s possible to get rank 14 in twelve weeks.

Go for it then.

Yes it’s possible. But what people are saying is that such a low % of the overall population can commit to 16 hours a day it’s not that much of a problem.

I’m not sure how to reply to this because most of it is speculation in general.

Statisically driven or not, I strongly believe there will be a lot of hardcore players coming out of the woodwork. Classic is giving an entire generation the chance to do it over again; many people, including myself, won’t take an opportunity like this lightly.

The whole “16 hours a day” concept is a general misunderstanding of how the PvP system works. Google “Honor System pre 2.0” and read the wowwiki article on the ranking system.

The entire ranking system depends on the total amount of honor in the pool and where you stand in relation to other ranked players. “16 hours a day” is a characterization of the most hardcore players running premades in late stages of vanilla AFTER the PvP gear was updated and right before TBC was released. It will likely not be this difficult, especially in phase 2 when there will be no battlegrounds.

I will definitely rank but I doubt I will be the cream of the crop; just saying that there are players out there that will definitely hit that mark.

I’ve read those articles about the pre-honor system. It works on a curve as you most likely know. The only issue is that if someone or some people are playing 8 hours a day and get 5,000 honor per hour and someone is playing 16 hours a day and gets 3,500 honor. The person who is playing more rises that cap despite getting less honor per hour.

So while you may not need to play 16 hours. The person who is playing 16 hours is going to make you play way more than you wanted to.

I wonder if the 3.8% is true, it seems feels like 10% are unemployed here.
Young people are having trouble getting farm jobs, seeing how they require experience to pick fruit from tree now.

Well the trinket from warsong gulch should come out with vendors.

I just looked at Wikipedia and my teachers always told me that was a bad source so. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was just trying to make the point that people in the US have less free time on average than EU.

I dont have any offspring. I do have a job and hobbies outside … I guess some people didn’t get those either. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

So totally unrelated: The US unemployment numbers are heavily…let’s say ‘statistic-ized’ by the government. There’s three kinds of lies; lies, damn lies, and statistics, after all.

Basically, they don’t count people who are massively underemployed (you have a part-time fast-food job for five hours a week and that’s the best you can get even though you’re actively looking? You don’t count as unemployed), they don’t count people who have been looking for more than a few months (can’t find a job in two months? Too bad, you’re no longer unemployed), and so on.

The official unemployment rate is completely unreliable because it’s designed as advertisement, not as an accurate statistic.

But not everyone playing vanilla was a child. I was 30, had a job and all the other stuff. But now, I have a better job, own my own home, and outside of 40 hours a week for work, all my time is my own, to devote to whatever I want.

On a Saturday I might decide to garden all day, or hike through the mountains in which I live, or stay inside for 10 hours and play a computer game. My time is my own and I have more of it than I did 14 years ago.

One of my friends, who is coming back, is similar, though he did pump out kids but they are grown and out of the house now, so he also has more time than he did in vanilla.

There are a lot of different kinds of people who love WoW. Not sure why everyone doesn’t get that.

2 Likes

I agree with this sentiment.

These arguments citing unemployment statistics have no real bearing on the actual player base and the kind of players that enjoy the original game.

Not everyone that achieves great things in classic will be unemployed.

In Vanilla and TBC (not so sure about these days) we know there were NBA and NFL players, as well as actors and actresses actively playing and raiding (sometimes in top US guilds).

Just look at the groundswell of support for the Critical Role kickstarter! And the backlash to the recent SNL skit about nerds (D&D nerds in particular). If anyone thinks that people who play WoW, or any other computer game, are fat and sweaty, live in their parents basement and unable to function in the real world, then they are the ones that need to get outside and broaden their mind a little.

1 Like

HOLY COW! You crazy man, those PVP gears are UBER STRONG!

I know where I will be gearing my alts now for PVE pre-raid…

Rank 10 gear > Dungeon gear by about 200 miles, not only this but an organized group can get you Rank 10 faster and less painfully than farming the Dungeon blues…

Your guys choice, but these are my observations.

Seems pretty pointless to wait to release pvp in phases.

This seems a bit odd to me. I get that you are trying to replicate the original flow of how things released but we’re starting at 1.12. It just seems odd. I’m not arguing for nor against but rather just going to wait and see how this one pans out.