Classic PSA: Blizzard will not assist you if you are scammed

I was just straight up scammed by someone in classic… i figured blizzard would have my back, since it was very obvious from chat logs what happened.

But no. They will punish the user and remove the gold, but the victim will get 100% shafted.

So please, do not trust anyone in this game.

Sounds like you participated in an unsupported transaction. There are plenty of times both in classic and retail where a scam can be looked into, but that doesn’t mean that Blizz will refund any lost gold.

That’s not something new to classic either.

14 Likes

I’m sorry for your frustration, Ihasgun. Keep in mind that this generally has been our stance in both versions of the game for unsupported transactions. We do not tolerate scamming, but these behaviors are at risk. If something happens we will take action in accordance to our policies but we do not function as an insurance plan to cover losses in case something happens.

We even cover this in the sticky in the Classic Discussion forum.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/wow-classic-customer-support-and-you/270459/3

12 Likes

This is not news.

They will step in when they can, but that is never guaranteed.

8 Likes

I mean, the gold is sitting in the scammers bags, and its just going to be deleted.

It “can” be resolved, blizzard just won’t.

I’m not sure why they say “we can’t guarantee” it, when it should say “we won’t even try”.

I was told “no” before any investigation even ocurred… about 10 seconds into live chat.

Because that is policy. Always has been. It’s even in the sticky Vrak linked.

10 Likes

This is what “unsupported” means…

Blizzard is following a long standing policy.

ie, if you pay gold for a dungeon carry, and it fails or doesn’t happen - Blizzard won’t act as a debt collector for you.

7 Likes

We say we can’t guarantee it, Ihasgun, because historically there have been specific situations in which we have been able to recover the “stolen” goods. That ability hasn’t applied to lost gold that I’m aware of, but we do want to keep the option open for special circumstances.

8 Likes

What qualifies as a “Special” circumstance?

My situation isn’t “special”, it probably happens a lot, but what is annoying is that the gold is just sitting in his bags. Blizzard will go to the effort to remove the gold, punish the user, but can’t take one more step to return it.

I can understand if its a “complicated” situation, but its not, its a very simple one.

I’m only annoyed because it was everything i had, i don’t even have the gold to repair anymore, and if you know anything about how important gold is in classic, you understand that not being able to repair makes your character unplayable.

Sure, its my fault for being naive and assuming the best of other player’s, but it still sucks and takes the air out of wanting to play when you lose everything you worked so hard to earn, and the only people who can assist, won’t.

That isn’t information we’re going to provide. Suffice to say they are extremely rare. I only mention them because it would be dishonest to say that we “never” are able to recover items.

We can, but we won’t. Again, unsupported transactions are just that, unsupported. If you participate in one of those we are not going to act as your back up plan. We aren’t insurance or otherwise act as your heavy to recover your losses. You participated in an unsupported transaction and it didn’t work out.

What we will do is, if a scam is verified, ensure that the person who scammed you doesn’t profit from it either and in most situations will find themselves with a vacation from the game as a result.

I completely understand, Ihasgun. I do. It simply isn’t the function of the Game Master department to provide that kind of support. Sorry.

11 Likes

The solution for that is an alt, make some coin on that, mail it over to help cover repairs.

Thing is, if the policy wasn’t in place, Blizzard would be spending a considerable amount of time and resources on being in-game debt collectors.

It’s a tough lesson, and many of us have been in your situation at least once in our playing history.

6 Likes

This is not only an in-game lesson, but a real life lesson as well. Understanding how to budget your finances, and not blow every penny or copper on something.

We certainly understand your frustration, and wish people could be more honorable, but the policies in place prevent GM’s from giving you back the gold.

3 Likes

I’d offer the idea of going to low level areas and trying to farm mobs. You’re not going to kill half of the mobs in the zone just by looking at them, but it can bring in some money until the repair bill is paid.

And on that note, you don’t need to hit the ‘repair all’ button. THere’s an icon next to that where you can repair one piece at a time, if I remember right. I’d repair the weapon first and slowly repair outwards.

10 Likes

In addition, see if your guild will carry you through a couple dungeon runs. Your broken gear won’t be as big of a factor, maybe you’ll get upgrades, and the gold might be better.

12 Likes